Inverter Problem?? I Think

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Ran into a new problem for me on our trip home this week. When I went to turn the inverter on for our residential refrigerator, the green light at the switch would not come on. No inverter. However, if I turn the inverter on by pressing the switch on the inverter itself, I have inverter power. Two questions:
1) Any ideas on how to check the switch on the panel inside the coach to see why it will not turn the inverter on
2) Does it hurt the inverter to have it on while plugged into shore power. (save me from having to turn the inverter off and on from the front compartment each night we hook up to shore power.

Thanks

danemayer

Hi Keith,

I think the Magnum uses a CWS-RS Remote Switch that plugs into an RJ11 phone jack on the inverter. You might check that it's still plugged in. If yes, maybe spray clean the contacts. Not sure how the backside of the switch itself is set up, but it's also probably worth looking at it.

If you leave the inverter on all the time, in the event of a shore power outage while you're away from the coach, the refrigerator's transfer switch will change over automatically and your refrigerator will stay cold. I don't think there's any problem with leaving it on all the time.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Your problem may be that the the GFCI on the inverter outlet needs to be reset.

porthole

Retired
Your problem may be that the the GFCI on the inverter outlet needs to be reset.

What Neale said. And if it is the problem, get rid of the GFCI.
Not needed on a fridge only circuit.

As to leaving it on? The only time I turn mine off is if I will not be on shore power. Since I store the trailer in the driveway connected, I only turn off the inverter when I am done for the season.

klindgren

Thanks Dan, Neale and Duane. Taking the easy road first, I'll check the GFCI first then progress to the phone jack if needed. Camper is all hooked up, headed to the dealer first thing in the morning. Getting a new toilet and good spring check-up before we hit the road again. I'll check the inverter out when I get it back. Thanks for the input and I'll let you know.

carl.swoyer

Thanks Dan, Neale and Duane. Taking the easy road first, I'll check the GFCI first then progress to the phone jack if needed. Camper is all hooked up, headed to the dealer first thing in the morning. Getting a new toilet and good spring check-up before we hit the road again. I'll check the inverter out when I get it back. Thanks for the input and I'll let you know.
As Dane mentioned check the connection for corrosion and also apply dielectri grease. This step will help you with preventing further corrosion. You can buy it at any auto parts store.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Not to be to critical, however if he can turn it on manually at the unit, the GFCI on the AC output side would not be the problem.

klindgren

Not to be to critical, however if he can turn it on manually at the unit, the GFCI on the AC output side would not be the problem.
That's what I thought, but being so un-mechanically inclined, I'd check everything. Still not sure, but it was already scheduled for it's spring tune-up so asked the mecanics at the dealership to take a look at it while it's down there. Haven't heard anything yet, but I'll post here once I know something, or if I get it back without them finding any thing, then I'll run through the tests suggested.