Struts for under bed storage

PondSkum

Our gas struts that are supposed to help lift the bed to access the storage underneath keeps pulling the screws out of the bottom of the bed support platform. It's made of Particle board material and I've reattached the brackets like 3 times already and trying to find a better solution. Has anyone made modifications to the platform to secure the screws better? Should I replace that particle board with some good plywood sheet?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
When I installed my bed struts, I glued solid wood blocks and then attached the struts to the solid wood block. I also replaced the small hinges with continuous hinge across the entire bed width after the small hinge screws pulled out. No issues since.

Gary521

When I installed my bed struts, I glued solid wood blocks and then attached the struts to the solid wood block. I also replaced the small hinges with continuous hinge across the entire bed width after the small hinge screws pulled out. No issues since.
|

This sounds like a good idea. I did not replace the hinges but I moved them a bit as they were positioned and screwed in poorly.

RossRagan

Excellent suggestions...thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerryjay11

I installed struts on our camper bed because it didn't come with them and yes the blocks of wood glued and screwed to the platform makes a much stronger mount. But I also use blocks of wood for both ends of the struts.

ram22

Our gas struts that are supposed to help lift the bed to access the storage underneath keeps pulling the screws out of the bottom of the bed support platform. It's made of Particle board material and I've reattached the brackets like 3 times already and trying to find a better solution. Has anyone made modifications to the platform to secure the screws better? Should I replace that particle board with some good plywood sheet?

I had exactly same problem. Eager to see solutions here. Piano hinge sounds like good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjones1969

Our Cyclone did not even have a hinge where the particleboard split to allow under bed storage, when I added the struts it would jump out and then be on top of the piece that was screwed down. I used 2 large strap hinges, fender washers and machine screws with nylon locking nuts, I put the hinge pin face down. On the struts I used wood blocks as others have above, again with machine screws, fender washers and nylon locking nuts, everything sandwiched between the layers of wood.

Attachments

• 5DB6C5D9-50AC-4871-A439-B54215612CCB.jpeg
    5DB6C5D9-50AC-4871-A439-B54215612CCB.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 21

porthole

Retired

I did the same.