Floor heat vents

Occo

I am tired of dealing with the problems floor mounted heat vents cause. I am looking into removing them and reinstalling them in a vertical space, ie; wall, cabinet, anywhere they could be and be fed from under the coach.
Has anyone else done this? If so, please give some advice. Thanks in advance, Bill

jbeletti

Bill - interior walls are generally only 2" deep. Could be tricky but doable.

Possible steps:
- Remove a section of the wall paneling near the floor
- Cutout the wall baseplate below the opening
- Add blocking above the opening
- Add a grill to the opening
- Rework an existing round duct to a metal rectangular piece up into the wall opening
- Repair the floor vent hole and recover flooring in that area

In the kitchen, you may be able to add a grill to the island toe-kick, reroute an existing duct to it and R&R the old duct area

bwdt

I agree. They should mount them through toe kicks and cabinets.........I have found some high end RVs that put them in the toe kicks and cabinets.

KansasBob

I am tired of dealing with the problems floor mounted heat vents cause. I am looking into removing them and reinstalling them in a vertical space, ie; wall, cabinet, anywhere they could be and be fed from under the coach.
Has anyone else done this? If so, please give some advice. Thanks in advance, Bill

I have not done it yet, but was thinking the same thing. I'll let you know if I come up with a plan. :)

ksucats

I have a slightly different issue - on my LM Key West one of the outlets is the second step. Right below the thermostat. Also has a very high flow rate. I have actually removed the vent cover and put foil over half of it to reduce the flow there; thermostat / temperature over the entire coach is now much better. I was cautioned about not closing it off completely - do not want to reduce the total air flow as it can create problems with the heater itself.:eek:

Occo

Hello,

I am wondering the problems you are having? Just dirt?

Brian

Brian,

Things falling to them, dirt, hot air coming up at you, and just plain UGLY. The idea of incorporating them in toe kicks or cabinets sounds good. Also, on a wall a small cabinet could be made to accommodate a register. Anything would be better than in the middle of the floor. YUCK!!

southernlady5464

The one in the bathroom is ludicrous. In our Charleston, it’s not that far from the toilet. A male with really bad aim can create a disaster in that one.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With the heat register in our bathroom, one risks getting a toasted left cheek. All of our floor vents have been converted to adjustables. In the years we've been using them to redirect the air flow, the furnace has not blown up because of it. Some of these product disclaimers remind me of the medicine ads on TV. Tell your doctor if you experience death while taking it.

Jimnkarens

Does anyone have a suggestion of where to get replacement floor heat vents?
they seem to be an odd size compared to those available at HomeDepot, etc

thanks.