Newbie to the inverter 5th wheel thing

atckid

Will it do any damage to my electrical system on my Elkridge 30rlt or any of my appliances if the inverter is on and I am connected to or connect to 50A shore power?

Thanks
Sandy, Barbara and furbaby Ebby

carl.swoyer

Will it do any damage to my electrical system on my Elkridge 30rlt or any of my appliances if the inverter is on and I am connected to or connect to 50A shore power?

Thanks
Sandy, Barbara and furbaby Ebby
Well, we need to know what the model number of the inverter is and how it's wired. Is it factory installed?. Does the inverter have an internal transfer switch?
It is a very good question.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

atckid

Well, we need to know what the model number of the inverter is and how it's wired. Is it factory installed?. Does the inverter have an internal transfer switch?
It is a very good question.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks Carl,
It is factory installed. It's a 2017 Elkridge 30rlt that I just bought new. I have no idea what the model number is or how it is wired. It is in storage but I am packing up tomorrow for a trip so I will try to get that information and/ or pictures. There is a "remote" switch in the camper and I was able to find the switch on the bottom of the inverter. I wanted to cool down my fridge before we leave wed. am. The storage place has power but its on a timer and is only on 2 hours a day. I didn't want to turn on the inverter and then the power come on at 2am and fry my system. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

PS The "remote" switch in the camper only "flips" one way. A green light comes on when I push it. Do I hold that button until the green light goes off to turn it off ? (I turned it off before at the inverter.)

danemayer

Thanks Carl,
It is factory installed. It's a 2017 Elkridge 30rlt that I just bought new. I have no idea what the model number is or how it is wired. It is in storage but I am packing up tomorrow for a trip so I will try to get that information and/ or pictures. There is a "remote" switch in the camper and I was able to find the switch on the bottom of the inverter. I wanted to cool down my fridge before we leave wed. am. The storage place has power but its on a timer and is only on 2 hours a day. I didn't want to turn on the inverter and then the power come on at 2am and fry my system. Thanks

Hi atckid,

The Magnum remote switch turns on an inverter that is dedicated to the residential refrigerator. It won't hurt anything to leave it on anytime you're plugged into shore power. When in storage you'll want to turn it off so the batteries don't get drained.

If you leave it on while on shore power, in the event of a short-term power outage, the associated transfer switch will automatically switch over to the inverter output and your food will stay cold.

You can find more details on this in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

atckid

Hi atckid,

The Magnum remote switch turns on an inverter that is dedicated to the residential refrigerator. It won't hurt anything to leave it on anytime you're plugged into shore power. When in storage you'll want to turn it off so the batteries don't get drained.

If you leave it on while on shore power, in the event of a short-term power outage, the associated transfer switch will automatically switch over to the inverter output and your food will stay cold.

You can find more details on this in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator Guide.

OK Thanks Dan!!!
Do I just hold the switch to turn it off? Also will the batteries (I have two) if fully charged run the fridge for about 18-24 hours?
Thanks again

danemayer

OK Thanks Dan!!!
Do I just hold the switch to turn it off? Also will the batteries (I have two) if fully charged run the fridge for about 18-24 hours?
Thanks again

My understanding is that the remote switch operates the same as the local switch on the inverter. Press ON. Press OFF. I think the switches operate after about 1 second.

Once cool, with food in the refrigerator, on an overnight stop you might get 12-18 hours from the batteries and still have enough power to operate slideouts and landing gear.

But if you're starting up the fridge before a trip, it's going to run the compressor quite a bit more to cool down to operating temperature, so they'll be a greater demand on the batteries in that scenario. If there's any way to plug into shore power before the trip, that's the way to go.

You should be aware that if the trailer's umbilical cord is plugged into the truck, as the trailer batteries run down, you may also suck power out of the truck batteries. Some trucks pass power only with ignition on, others pass power with ignition off. The point being that it's probably a good idea to leave the cable disconnected on overnight stops so you can start the truck in the morning.