Weathering the Weather

RossRagan

I just took delivery of new Heartland travel trailer (Mallard M245) last Thursday. I haven’t made arrangements for storage yet so it is setting in my driveway and, as a lot of you know, winter has been slow to leave this year. Are there any steps that I should I take to protect it from the elements, including the 8 inches of snow we are getting right now and the sub-10 degree nights to follow? Supposedly it was winterized by Camping World but I have the electrical hooked to shore power and am running a small electric heater continuously inside to keep the interior above 50 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillyBill

Open the Cabinet door where your hot water heater is and the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bath sinks. Just in case there is a line with a bit of water still in it. Open tank and low point drains under trailer for the same reason.

WB

JamesL73

Open the Cabinet door where your hot water heater is and the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bath sinks. Just in case there is a line with a bit of water still in it. Open tank and low point drains under trailer for the same reason.

WB

If it has indeed been winterized, wouldn’t opening the valves be draining the anti-freeze??

WillyBill

If it has indeed been winterized, wouldn’t opening the valves be draining the anti-freeze??

As far as I know, putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank is not generally done (I never have or seen it recommended) and the low point drains can be turned back off if anything pink comes out - air in line is ok but NOT clear water - if clear is present then I would suggest going to the winterization guide in "Tools" above and start from scratch so you don't incur any repairs due to improper winterization by someone else.

Good Luck.

WB

RossRagan

Funny (or not so) that you should mention clear water because I noted clear water draining from one of the low point drains on the unit on Thursday when I backed it into my driveway...it was above freezing (barely) at the time.

WillyBill

Funny (or not so) that you should mention clear water because I noted clear water draining from one of the low point drains on the unit on Thursday when I backed it into my driveway...it was above freezing (barely) at the time.

Personally, I push air from a compressor regulated to <50 psi through all lines until lines blow zero water and then just put antifreeze in the "P" traps - kit sink, lav, shower, and a tiny bit in toilet to keep the seal lubed so it won't dry out. takes about 10-12 minutes to do the job once you get used to it. Counting last night, I have had to winterize mine 4 times starting last Nov. (I keep taking it out and using it. LOL)

WB

RossRagan

Personally, I push air from a compressor regulated to <50 psi through all lines until lines blow zero water and then just put antifreeze in the "P" traps - kit sink, lav, shower, and a tiny bit in toilet to keep the seal lubed so it won't dry out. takes about 10-12 minutes to do the job once you get used to it. Counting last night, I have had to winterize mine 4 times starting last Nov. (I keep taking it out and using it. LOL)

WB
I had read of that method elsewhere and I have a compressor...so where do you hook your compressor up to the water pipes?

orion7144

I am in the same situation but mine is in the storage lot. We are supposed to get down to 21 Saturday night. I have a bout 1/3 tank of water with the other tanks empty. Have water in the traps. I was thinking about just emptying the hot water heater and turning the heat on for an hour or so earlier in the day and then go back the next morning. If need be I could pick it up and park in front of the house with the heat on all night. Thoughts?

danemayer

I am in the same situation but mine is in the storage lot. We are supposed to get down to 21 Saturday night. I have a bout 1/3 tank of water with the other tanks empty. Have water in the traps. I was thinking about just emptying the hot water heater and turning the heat on for an hour or so earlier in the day and then go back the next morning. If need be I could pick it up and park in front of the house with the heat on all night. Thoughts?

Weather forecast accuracy can vary. Will it get down to 21, or 18? 15? or 25?

Even if you run the furnace with thermostat set to 72, the underbelly temperature may not be more than 10 or 12 degrees above ambient temperature. This varies a lot from model to model and floor plan to floor plan.

The outdoor shower and water inlet may be less protected and can suffer freeze damage.

If you have a water feed line going to your refrigerator, and the fridge is in a slide, the water feed line is exposed to outside air and will suffer freeze damage. And if the fridge is turned off, you could have damage to the water feed/ice maker solenoid.

There's really no substitute for winterizing. Winterization Guide.

danemayer

Some coaches have low point drains; others do not. Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country don't have them. Not sure about Bighorn Traveler.