Adding Solar

Piperflyer

What are we talking to add enough solar power to run a residential frig, tv and a few other accessories on my 5th wheel?

Oregon_Camper

Somewhere around $4,500 - $5,000 (solar, batteries, MPPT controller, wiring)....close to $6,500 - $7,000 if you have it done professionally.

Here is my setup, but to be honest, I don't think I have enough solar to support everything you're asking for. Those darn residential refrigerators draw a lot of amps. If I were to start over, I'd install lithium batteries, as you can drawn them down to ~15% were all other batteries shouldn't go below 50%. Problem is lithium batteries cost about $1,000 each per 100 amp hour.

I have a few YouTube video that might also help you better understand some of the items. If interested, you can see them here. https://www.youtube.com/tannerjim

Capture.jpg

TexasTraveler2017

I’m in the process of installing solar and lithium batteries for the same reason. While everyone should do a power audit and know exactly how much power you are using, I am wanting to get everything installed before we hit the road Fulltime. I am putting in 600 Watts of solar and 3 100AH Battle Born lithium batteries based on some testing done by Gone with the Wynn’s (https://www.gonewiththewynns.com/rv-residential-refrigerator-power) and other people’s recommendations.

We have an Onan generator onboard, but hopefully the solar will be able to keep the fridge running while we dry camp. Plus, with the ease of lithium, they can be charged quicker and you don’t have to worry about float and absorption like with lead acid.

Time will tell if this all works out. The folks at Battle Born have said that I can add additional batteries to the bank within the next year without causing any issues with the original/older batteries. So we might look at adding more batteries, another 300 watt panel, and maybe a nice inverter/charger like OregonCamper’s go power with the built in transfer switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

If your battereis are wired as shown in diagram you should consider changing the ground.

Positive at the first battery in the string, negative on the last battery in the string.

That way the charge and discharge goes across all batteries equally.

Good eyes...

They are not wired like that...I need to move my ground icon over to the right. :cool: