First Timer looking at Mallard M245

Bigdog523

Hi Everyone,

I am a first timer about to purchase an M245. I have done quite a bit of research and it looks to have the most features in the size we are looking. I plan on buying through Camping World out here in Massachusetts. Is there anything I should watch out for?

RossRagan

Re: First Timer looking at M245

Hi Everyone,

I am a first timer about to purchase an M245. I have done quite a bit of research and it looks to have the most features in the size we are looking. I plan on buying through Camping World out here in Massachusetts. Is there anything I should watch out for?

If you do decide to buy, there is a walk-through checklist on this forum that you should review and utilize before you sign the paperwork. I just purchased a M245 two weeks ago (my first RV also) and it was too cold to test out the plumbing so I am hoping all the work was done correctly at the factory. I also learned that there are a some things that CW considers to be Factory issues and won't repair before you buy as they are warranty items. I think if they fix them before they sell it they may not get reimbursed...but not sure. Bring pen and paper and be prepared to make a list and get consent in writing that items will be repaired. Anything that can be repaired should be repaired before you sign the papers.

Oregon_Camper

Congrats on the pending purchase. Camping World has a bad rap, and for a lot of valid reasons. :(

You can get my Pre-Delivery document using the link in my signature, or via the document library on this forum (they are the same).

This document will take you about 4 hours to complete (don't rush it) and will ensure you understand all the operations of the trailer as well as having you inspect the trailer. This will help you find all sorts of "gotcha" stuff that might not pop up until later down the road (ie...when your 100's of miles from an RV shop). No matter what the dealer says, their PDI will never cover everything.

Complete this PDI and get dealer to fix all issue before paying for trailer...that way the dealer is very motivated to finish.

Bigdog523

Thank you very helpful pointers. Are there other reputable dealers outside of Camping World to be considered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RossRagan

Thank you very helpful pointers. Are there other reputable dealers outside of Camping World to be considered?

The Mallard is exclusive to CW but the Heartland North Trail is the same basic trailer available at other dealers. The 24BHS is equivalent to M245.

klp605

Repairs through CW can be done without as much headache if you are prepared. With documentation, continued contact with Heartland and CW, our repair process has been good. Now, none of the repairs required immediate attention so we let them pile up and turned over our M32 for the winter when we would not be using it.

Be sure to do OregonCamper PDI. Also request all the work order history for your prospective unit at the service counter. Look that over closely as you will see what has been done. The first unit we were going to purchase I found water damage repair work on a Work Order. When I went and examined the area that had been repaired, I found an active water leak. I would have never of found the leak until the damage was severe if it wasn't for the work order report.

Bigdog523

After lot's of research and a very knowledgeable and patient sales rep, I purchased a M245 over the weekend. I am doing the PDI tomorrow and told him what I expected. So far, I am happy with my interactions with CW but tomorrow will be the true test. More to come...

RossRagan

After lot's of research and a very knowledgeable and patient sales rep, I purchased a M245 over the weekend. I am doing the PDI tomorrow and told him what I expected. So far, I am happy with my interactions with CW but tomorrow will be the true test. More to come...

Our CW would not assist me in doing the hook-up so if you are putting a weight distribution hitch on, I would suggest you review the process and maybe simulate the hook-up before your head up to get your trailer and make sure you have ALL the tools you will need to complete the installation and hook-up.

Looking forward to your follow-up post after you pick it up.

Unfortunately winter has been extremely persistent this year so we haven't had the opportunity to use our new M245 yet. I did pick up a cover a week ago and put it on just before we got the 16" of snow this past weekend. If you intend to purchase a cover for future storage, get it fit for the box length of the trailer, not the overall length. I didn't pay attention and just went by overall length. I have some ideas to make it a better fit that should not be too difficult to implement.

Bigdog523

Our CW would not assist me in doing the hook-up so if you are putting a weight distribution hitch on, I would suggest you review the process and maybe simulate the hook-up before your head up to get your trailer and make sure you have ALL the tools you will need to complete the installation and hook-up.

Looking forward to your follow-up post after you pick it up.

Unfortunately winter has been extremely persistent this year so we haven't had the opportunity to use our new M245 yet. I did pick up a cover a week ago and put it on just before we got the 16" of snow this past weekend. If you intend to purchase a cover for future storage, get it fit for the box length of the trailer, not the overall length. I didn't pay attention and just went by overall length. I have some ideas to make it a better fit that should not be too difficult to implement.

Thanks for the input. I purchased the hitch from CW and they are going to install and adjust to my tow vehicle while I am doing the walk through. It looks like we are finally going to break 60 degrees in the northeast this weekend so my two boys and I are hoping to try it out as soon as we get it home. Will definitely be interested in a cover come fall.

Bigdog523

Well. I am two weeks into owning my Mallard 245 and happy to say everything seems to be working perfectly. My boys and I have spent several nights in the driveway with everything hooked up and all is good. We had heavy rain yesterday and so far we are dry inside. Planning our first trip out of the driveway next weekend. So far, very happy with my purchase.

RossRagan

Congrat's BigDog523! I threw a cover on mine just before the big blizzard 2 weeks ago and got through it unscathed. I'm just finishing a locking battery box for my two battery set-up and am going to make some final adjustments to my wight distribution hitch today; and then I think I'll be ready to venture out on a maiden camp-out to a nearby campground. I've slept in it a couple of times, added a 3" memory foam topper to the mattress, and now am trying to get my wife to try the bed with the topper to see how she likes it before we take it on the road.

Bigdog523

Congrat's BigDog523! I threw a cover on mine just before the big blizzard 2 weeks ago and got through it unscathed. I'm just finishing a locking battery box for my two battery set-up and am going to make some final adjustments to my wight distribution hitch today; and then I think I'll be ready to venture out on a maiden camp-out to a nearby campground. I've slept in it a couple of times, added a 3" memory foam topper to the mattress, and now am trying to get my wife to try the bed with the topper to see how she likes it before we take it on the road.

What cover did you end up getting? I am thinking that will be a must up here in Boston. I just booked our first “real” trip for this coming weekend. It will be a true test on how well I can work everything.

RossRagan

What cover did you end up getting? I am thinking that will be a must up here in Boston. I just booked our first “real” trip for this coming weekend. It will be a true test on how well I can work everything.

I went with a CoverKing brand. I've had one for my wife's Mustang and it has held up well to three winters storage.

http://dev.coverking.com/vehicle-covers/rv-covers/travel-trailer-rv-cover.html

Will be getting wheel covers before next winter to go with the trailer cover.

Bigdog523

I have had my M245 for about a month now and besides a couple of minor aesthetic things during delivery it has been great. We have camped 3 weekends so far and I couldn’t be happier everything is functioning as it should and no evidence of water even after some heavy rain. I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews but so far all is well. Off to Gunstock Mountain this weekend.

RossRagan

I have had my M245 for about a month now and besides a couple of minor aesthetic things during delivery it has been great. We have camped 3 weekends so far and I couldn’t be happier everything is functioning as it should and no evidence of water even after some heavy rain. I was a little concerned after reading some of the reviews but so far all is well. Off to Gunstock Mountain this weekend.

Congrat’s and thanks for the update. I’m glad things are going well for you as it gives me some confidence that my experience will be similar. My first outing with my M245 will be this weekend, just been too busy to get out yet.

Bigdog523

As we hit the end of the season I thought I would give an update after a full season. We picked up our new Mallard 245 in April. We had a couple of minor cosmetic issues and a loose fitting under the sink at the PDI that were resolved quickly by Camping World.

We did 12 weekend trips this season and my boys and I sleep in it in the driveway every weekend. We have had no major issues whatsoever. A couple of loose screws on hinges but that’s about it. No leaks and all systems work fine.

We had such a good first season, we are looking to upgrade to a class A this spring. Just wanted to let people know that not everyone has a horrible experience.

This was our first venture into this lifestyle and the people we have met as well as the memories made has been worth every dollar.

Last edited: