Fridge recall

ChopperBill

Just got the recall notice from Heartland on the Dometic fridge recall (09/15). Mine is on the list. Just dandy! We are leaving for a week to the boonies with no electricity. Mine seems to be working OK and has no signs they say to look for. Guess we will have to wing it.
Better check the recall list to see if yours is on it, because I heard about the recall months ago and just got the info.

Jim your recall link does not work for me.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Got my recall notice also. My model number is not on the recall list. The serial number falls in the list but the model number is not.

fhollan

Recall!

I just got off the phone with Dometic concerning the recall. Since there was mention made on this forum back last spring concerning a refrigerator problem, I called the dealer and in May I had a SBH Kit (housing) placed on the unit. If you had that done earlier this year, I was told by Dometic that I would be in compliance.

But for your own satisfaction, call Dometic at 800-544-4881 and let them tell you. Hope this helps.

Hats off to Dometic - In fixing up recent purchase, an RV parts dealer had the recall information printed on handouts at the cashiers table. Dealer told me to take one and call him back with the model/serial number. My frig was on the recall list.
Dealer called Dometic and called me back within an hour saying he had authorization to fix it. Better yet - my Landmark is "anchored: here at an RV Park and Dometic also paid the parts guys to drive out (25 miles) and fix it. He did and within days - the problem was corrected by 30 minutes of his work. All FREE to me.

jbeletti

I spoke to Heartland Customer Service and here is the scoop on the notices from Heartland.

Dometic did the recall on their own. Most affected owners got their recall done. Manufacturers were compelled by NHSTA to send out recall notices later to doubly ensure that everyone affected - received the notice.

If you already had your recall taken care of, Heartland would like you to complete the recall notice paperwork you just received and return it. This helps Heartland communicate back to NHTSA with regard to compliance.

If you have never received a recall notice (like me), you may look them up on the NHTSA site at this link.

Search for Vehicle, Your Model Year, Heartland, and Model.

Jim

Thank you,

Jim

ChopperBill

After reading 8 pages on the recall at RV.net I came to the conclusion that Dometic is not "fixing" anything. They are just putting a shield on to prevent a possible fire not repairing the cracked boiler problem. If your fridge is out of warranty you are SOL on the cracked boiler replacement.

Icemaker Winterization

That's exactly what was done - sheet metal pieces put entirely around the unit and screwed together. Was not aware of cracked boiler being the real culprit.
Sidenote is that now in order to winterize the icemake - I will need to remove the front portion of the sheetmetal to get to the valve for the winterization process.

Which brings up a question: Both my manual and the parts dealer noted that I should unplug the electric leads to the solinoid valve and apply 120V to the valve FOR NOT MORE THAN 20 SECONDS. Just how do you apply 120 volts?? I assume this suggests plugging in a 120v lead that has loose ends on it. Or am I out of wack understanding this process??

Last edited:

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Got the notice this AM. Called Dometic, received the ID number needed from them. Called the local dealer and was told to call and make an appointment, (anytime). Our 5er is parked for the winter. Covered, winterized. I have taken my hitch out of the truck. So I will wait till spring. I am not going to uncover. Put the hitch back in the truck. Drive 30 miles, then back. The dealer said they will do the work as long as we own the 5er. It takes 45 mints. to fix the problem. And best of all no cost to the customer. Too bad the dealer does not have road service.!

We too got our notice on our Trailrunner. I checked earlier but was looking for the model number in the wong place. I was looking in the back where the burner is. Oops, well earlier this year the dealer had to replace the pc board and now this recall. I will have to wait until tomorrow so I can call Dometic, they were closed by the time I called. I haven't put mine up for winter yet, we have 1 more scheduled outing. I am hoping my dealer is on the repair shop list, they treat me well there and am very pleased with their work.
As some have said, it is better to be safe than sorry. Mine isn't leaking yet and hope it doesn't.
Good luck and Happy Camping!!

Paul & Nan

Hey gregnbonnie, when u call dometic you can specify the dealer you want to perform the work and if they are on dometics list it shud be no problem. We did that with our 06 bighorn and had not problems. Paul

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I spoke to Heartland Customer Service and here is the scoop on the notices from Heartland.

If you already had your recall taken care of, Heartland would like you to complete the recall notice paperwork you just received and return it. This helps Heartland communicate back to NHTSA with regard to compliance.

Jim

Thank you,

Jim
Jim, We had our recall completed as soon as we heard our unit was listed. Like others, I just received the notification in the mail BUT there was no paperwork or form to fill out to return to Heartland. Do you suppose I should just give Heartland a call? Thanks

HappyKayakers

We just finished getting our fridge serviced for the extended recall. The technician said he never wanted to do that on a Heartland product again because it was such a tight fit.

brunomisty

Sundance Owner
We have a 2008 2900MK Sundance with a Dometic RM2852 Fridge. Are S/N start with a 7 and Dometic said it not on the recall list ??? And did not receive anything from Heartland either.

vangoes

I just returned from taking my unit into a service center for the Dometic Recall. After arriving at the center, they called dometic to confirm that my serial number/model number was on the recall, and it was. However, dometic informed them that the recall fix had been performed at the factory before delivery. My unit is an '07. If this is the case, why would Heartland still send me the recall notice? Has anyone else run into this situation?

truknutt

Committed Member
I just returned from taking my unit into a service center for the Dometic Recall. After arriving at the center, they called dometic to confirm that my serial number/model number was on the recall, and it was. However, dometic informed them that the recall fix had been performed at the factory before delivery. My unit is an '07. If this is the case, why would Heartland still send me the recall notice? Has anyone else run into this situation?

Jim's Post (#5) will answer this question.

Ray LeTourneau

Van, we've had the recall done so I've posted a couple pictures of what your fridge should look like after removing the grate. The galvanized panel on the right side of the opening is part of this recall. If you have this panel, your recall should be complete. If not, someone's giving you bad info.

Attachments

• IM000021.jpg
    IM000021.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IM000022.jpg
    IM000022.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 66

vangoes

Thanks Ray. I have not heard of any other instances where the recall was performed before delivery. I'll go check for the panel.

vangoes

Van, we've had the recall done so I've posted a couple pictures of what your fridge should look like after removing the grate. The galvanized panel on the right side of the opening is part of this recall. If you have this panel, your recall should be complete. If not, someone's giving you bad info.

Ray,
Just for an update, I checked my unit and I do not have the shield/panel that is shown in your pictures. If the panel is what is done on the recall, then mine has not been done. I dont understand why the service manager told me today that mine had been done at the factory. I guess I will go back to the service shop tomorrow and be more "inquisitive" as to WHY he says mine was done at the factory. Maybe I will call Dometic myself and see what they say. And to think, this dealer sells two lines of Heartland products.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray,
Just for an update, I checked my unit and I do not have the shield/panel that is shown in your pictures. If the panel is what is done on the recall, then mine has not been done. I dont understand why the service manager told me today that mine had been done at the factory. I guess I will go back to the service shop tomorrow and be more "inquisitive" as to WHY he says mine was done at the factory. Maybe I will call Dometic myself and see what they say. And to think, this dealer sells two lines of Heartland products.
Van, the recall includes a secondary shield completely surrounding the burner housing, the panel you see in those pictures and a overheat sensor that will sense an overheat situation within the burner housing and shut down the fridge. Just so you have some ammo when you talk to your service guy. If you call Dometic, have your model and serial number handy. The completed recalls are being recorded. Good Luck!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I started to not read this thread. I had heard about the recall earlier and was never on it. Looked again at the site that Jim B. listed and there is Model RM2862. My SN starts with 711.
Action No. EQ0801
NDR1062
RM2652
RM2662
RM2852
RM2862
RM3662
RM3663
RM3862

Guess I will have to take it in to Camping World.

From reading the forum I guess I need to call Dometic and get a number for whoever is doing the work. I looked at my unit and from the photos that Ray posted I need to get the work done also.

Ray thanks for taking the time to post the photos. Things like this are really helpfull for those of us that do not know what to look for when something like this comes up.