SOLVED: Electrical popping sounds

srae

We sitting in our Bighorn and there was a loud popping sound, followed a few minutes later by four loud popping sounds. We checked everywhere and did not find anything. No fuses blown or breakers flipped...we did smell a faint burning smell but no signs of burning. Anyone had this happen?

'Lil Guy'

Re: Electrical popping sounds

I would do some serious hunting for the problem. Lots of places for loose connections and loose wires to be found. Were you using your fireplace? Don't let this go unattended. If the noise was coming from the panel with the fuses, it's easy to pull the covers and check the connections. You have an issue and need to find it. It might even involve opening the basement wall.
Keep us posted as to what caused the issue. If it happened once, it's going to reoccur. Good luck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

We sitting in our Bighorn and there was a loud popping sound, followed a few minutes later by four loud popping sounds. We checked everywhere and did not find anything. No fuses blown or breakers flipped...we did smell a faint burning smell but no signs of burning. Anyone had this happen?

Oh my! Those are it what you want to hear or smell.

Do you have a surge protector or EMS on the 50amp cord? Did you check the power cord at the pedestal? If the plug or cord wiring isn't tight, arching or dangerous voltage could have gone through your rig. AC powered Electronics could have fried, such as TVs or tv components such as DVD players and such.

Do not take this lightly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If you have Generator Prep, there is an automatic transfer switch located behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. With power disconnected, you should open the cover of the switch to examine the wires and contacts for signs of heat damage.

You can find pictures and additional information on page 10 of our owner-written Electrical user guide in this folder. If the transfer switch looks ok, the guide has additional information that may be of help.

carl.swoyer

Two things,
We're you running the furnace?
If so when mine was new I had a burn smell as the newness burnt off and sometimes when the metal box warmed up it would pop and flex .
Also the metal sides of the fifth wheel would pop as the sun heated them up. This would be the metal that is below the slide box and your fender skirt is attached to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wdk450

Were you running any heavy electrical loads? The heaviest electrical loads from heaviest on down are the air conditioner, the microwave oven, the fireplace, and the electric water heater. 12 volt DC stuff also pulls lots of current in the battery charging, landing gear raising, and slide movement functions. An arc of high current within a poor electrical connection could make the popping and smells you observed.

PondSkum

I would also check the Transfer Switch. Mine has made popping noises before while using the Generator. I found a couple of the screws "less than tight" on the connections inside. I don't know if that was causing the popping, but I feel better now that they are tight. And haven't really used the Generator much since, so I haven't had the popping noise. Time will tell.

srae

Thanks to everyone for your input. Took the unit in yesterday to the dealer to hopefully find the problem.
Will let everyone know what we find out.

srae

Update since last reply. After taking our unit into the dealer, turns out the converter needed to be replaced. Tech checked the wiring and everything appears to be in good shape.
Once again, thanks to everyone who replied.

jnspenc

BigSpenc
Ok, here is a question??? I conduct a monthly check of my generator and at times when the generator is running my washer starts popping like the locking of the door of the washer. Is this just a surge to the washer??? Anyone have the same thing happen???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk