TPMS - Flow Through or Cap

Flow Through or Anti-Theft Cap Sensor

• Total voters

Greengas

Just wondering for folks who use an aftermarket TPMS, do you use the flow through or anti-theft cap sensor? I like the smaller size of the anti-theft sensor and the lower cost, but the thought of having to remove the cap each time I want to put some air in a tire seems to be a hassle. I've heard that a concern with the flow through is that they are large and stick out beyond the tire so if you have a run in with a curb you could lose it and that they tend to leak a bit, oh, and they cost more.

Again, looking for thoughts, opinions, and recommendations.

RickL

Just wondering for folks who use an aftermarket TPMS, do you use the flow through or anti-theft cap sensor? I like the smaller size of the anti-theft sensor and the lower cost, but the thought of having to remove the cap each time I want to put some air in a tire seems to be a hassle. I've heard that a concern with the flow through is that they are large and stick out beyond the tire so if you have a run in with a curb you could lose it and that they tend to leak a bit, oh, and they cost more.

Again, looking for thoughts, opinions, and recommendations.

If you decide to use a flow thru valve cap make sure they are a quality cap. They come in different lengths so you should be able to find one that works. Any tire dealer that works on medium commercial trucks (i.e. semi’s) should have them readily available. The most popular cap is called “gator”. They are stainless steel with a ball seat. DO NOT use the nylon flow thru caps.

Greengas

If you decide to use a flow thru valve cap make sure they are a quality cap. They come in different lengths so you should be able to find one that works. Any tire dealer that works on medium commercial trucks (i.e. semi’s) should have them readily available. The most popular cap is called “gator”. They are stainless steel with a ball seat. DO NOT use the nylon flow thru caps.

Rick, is this Gator you are referring to? If so, I think there might be a misunderstanding. The flow thru that I am referring to has the TPMS sensor built into it. Here is an example of one https://eezrvproduct.com/products/tpms-system-flow-through-sensor-1-ea The one you are recommending would extend the valve even further.

Of course it is very possible that I am not following correctly here and if that is the case I'm sure I will be correctly shortly. :)

CoveredWagon

Just checked the air pressure in the tires, still where I put them over a year ago. No need the worry about removing caps and filling them all the time. I did remove the sensors while in storage to save on battery life.

RickL

Rick, is this Gator you are referring to? If so, I think there might be a misunderstanding. The flow thru that I am referring to has the TPMS sensor built into it. Here is an example of one https://eezrvproduct.com/products/tpms-system-flow-through-sensor-1-ea The one you are recommending would extend the valve even further.

Of course it is very possible that I am not following correctly here and if that is the case I'm sure I will be correctly shortly. :)

No, not the type of flow thru caps I was referring to. My bad, as I was thinking of mounted TPMS sensors with extensions. The “linked” sensors shown in MY opinion (for whatever its worth) I would NOT add an extension on to it. A series of extensions only leads to additional connections that can leak.

When I read or hear flow thru valves my first and only thought are simple valve extensions, not TPMS devices that act as both a sensor and extension. Sorry, missed the point of these being part of the TPMS system.

Lou_and_Bette

Ronn, I have 2 Flow through sensors on my inside dually wheels, makes checking and filling those tires easier but when filling they do slow down the rate of the air going in so takes a little longer. I have the regular sensors on the other 4 wheels of the truck but they have the antithieft cover removed because they won’t fit the space with them on. I have the cap style sensors with the antithieft cover in place on the 6 wheels of the big and small trailer I tow. I figure the trailers are left alone more and have a higher risk of someone helping themselves. The cap style does hinder checking/filling the tires a bit but is not a real PITA to remove and replace. The flow throughs are not a panacea since they have their own issues. I didn’t vote on your poll since I have them both ways.

porthole

Retired
Anti theft type caps for me, with the caps removed. Leaving the caps off makes them tool-less. Couldn't get the tool on anyway for the rears. I wouldn't be able to get air in the rear outer with the flow through and in my opinion they stick out to far on the front.

I like Lou's idea of the flow through for the rear inner, but I am not going to change what i have. When the time comes for replacements that is a thought.

dbbls59

I have both. Thought the flow through would be nice BUT they don't work. I can't get air to go through them so I have to remove them anyway. I have removed the security caps off the others for use on my dually.