How do you carry your bicycles

svd

We just put a deposit on a 3400RL. We are thinking about where we will put things, and wondered how everyone carries their bikes? My dealer said he could install a receiver on the rear frame of the trailer. Is that the way to do it, and does it compromise the underside seal? Thanks

Tom of Ypsi

I usually carry my bikes on the ladder, do not like that idea but have had no problems, or in the back of my truck, I have a long bed. I am seriously thinking of having a rear receiver put on the back of my Landmark. I would think putting a receiver on the back would compromise the underside seal but if done right it should be able to be fixed.

I had a receiver put on the back of my Landmark, I have not used it yet but it did not touch the under belly. I think it is going to work fine. I had my dealer get it installed.

svd

Thanks for the responses. My dealer said most carry them off the rear ladder (which I don't like the sound of), or he could install a receiver on the rear of the trailer for $350.

Tom of Ypsi

For $350 I might put a receiver on my coach but my dealer said it would be around $500. I am going to check at Camping world to see what they have to say.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
When my wife and I decided to buy our Bighorn 3500RL we were very concerned about how to carry our bikes. The first dealer we talked with was not too enthusiastic about adding a hitch for a bike carrier so we went to another dealer. This dealer was all service oriented and I met with the service manager and we both crawled under the rig and talked over the options. We elected to bolt on a welded system that included a 48" receiver and (2) long pieces of 2" x 2" angle iron. This actually bolted to the cross members of the frame of the trailer with minimal disturbance to the underbelly material. Keep in mind that this set-up was specifically intended to carry (4) bikes, not necessarily a utility trailer or anythig of that nature. The service manager was assured by Heartland that this modification would not void the factory warranty. I will attempt to attach a 3-D image that I made to help. Good luck..

Attachments

• BH-Hitch.jpg
    BH-Hitch.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 202
  • BH2.jpg
    BH2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Mark, I like your idea, costs seems to be minimal and looks easy enough to do. I now have to wait until the weather breaks again. Winter decided to return to Michigan and it is suppose to stay cold, too cold to be laying underneath my coach.

svd

Thanks Mark, I like that idea too. Did you bolt it on over the top of the underbelly material and make openings just large enough to install nuts on top of the frame?

mrcomer

The dealership actually made a small opening (flap)just big enough to tighten the bolts. Then they put the flap back into place and sealed the perimeter with a black caulk to keep it from coming open. When it gets warmer I will take a few pictures from underneath and post them. I should let you know that I did not give the dealership my bike carrier when they installed this hitch so when I got the trailer home and tried it out I had a clearance problem with the light for the license plate holder, so I had to make a spacer for my bike carrier to avoid damaging the light. While I wish I didn't have to do that, I am pleased that the hitch doesn't stick out too far past the back end of the trailer.

timk

What is all this; when it gets warmer stuff?

Sorry couldnt resist 79 here in Tucson today, light breeze, just right in the shade.

TimK

DPOWER

Dave and Cindy P
How could you tell it was 79, the wind was blowing so hard in Benson the thermometer couldn't catch the air to tell it's temp. still havn't found our outside rug.

On our 3400 RL I moved my rear jacks forward about 18 inches rewelded the tubing and stitch welded my hitch to the bottom flange of the frame. 5000 miles so far this trip and they are still there. I do like the idea of bolting the hitch, how did you find them under the cover and how heavy are the they.

Dave

slaytop

I posted photos of a hitch installation in the Landmark area under "design ideas" and in the thread "rear receiver hitch options." That is one solution that didn't disturb the bottom cover.

I purchased a bike rack from www.Badgerrack.com to carry a tandem bicycle horizontally. The rack is very strong. I've mounted it on my truck but I haven't tried it on the trailer because the hitch is too close to a wall. When the weather improves I will pull the trailer forward and give it a try.

mrcomer

Thanks for the chuckle. Although it is 58 degrees right now (in Xenia,Oh), but it is supposed to get down to the teens tonight.

bike rack

When my wife and I decided to buy our Bighorn 3500RL we were very concerned about how to carry our bikes. The first dealer we talked with was not too enthusiastic about adding a hitch for a bike carrier so we went to another dealer. This dealer was all service oriented and I met with the service manager and we both crawled under the rig and talked over the options. We elected to bolt on a welded system that included a 48" receiver and (2) long pieces of 2" x 2" angle iron. This actually bolted to the cross members of the frame of the trailer with minimal disturbance to the underbelly material. Keep in mind that this set-up was specifically intended to carry (4) bikes, not necessarily a utility trailer or anything of that nature. The service manager was assured by Heartland that this modification would not void the factory warranty. I will attempt to attach a 3-D image that I made to help. Good luck..
hi, great idea! did they have to remove part of the underbelly to bolt on the angle irons? looks like your hitch works well. thanks, tom

geeksrus

We just put a deposit on a 3400RL. We are thinking about where we will put things, and wondered how everyone carries their bikes? My dealer said he could install a receiver on the rear frame of the trailer. Is that the way to do it, and does it compromise the underside seal? Thanks

Back to your original subject.....

We have a Pin Box rack: http://www.toppoprails.com/

On our previous 5er, we had a 2" receiver welded to the pin box & used a Swagman carrier. If you are interested in this approach, go to RV.Net & do a search on 'bike racks' & you'll get plenty of ideas.

Eh!

Bike Rack

Take a look at "New Hitch for Bike Rack" Bighorn general discussions.
I installed a Hidden Hitch on our 3055RL for about $280.00

azbound

I have the same unit as you and we had the dealer install a receiver on the back of our unit. According the dealer the receiver he installed is only good to 500#. This was done with input and approval of the Heartland area Rep.

Hope this helps.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here's what I have used for about 4 years now and it has worked very well for me. I had to have the tube shortened on the bike rack to drop the assembly below my hood, other than that it has worked without any problems.
Here's the link https://bodiaknet.powweb.com/store/catalog/

Now that's a neat system! The others I looked at required dropping the front bumper and losing the front license plate/brackets. Two bolts and it's off until the next trip...to easy! This could be half of the next canoe/kayak carrier!

Thanks for that link Razorback!

HRAI

New bumper

A welder friend of mine simply replaced the 100 mil thin bumper I had with a 3/16" bumper. The original diamond plate on the 'old' bumper was re-installed on the new bumper. My bicycle rack bumper adapter was then attached to the new bumper. 5 bicycles on there plus my weight and it does not move at all. Very solid. Very cheap in material.

Guy