Need Help Shopping for a new Tow Rig

Looking for a little help as I shop for a new tow rig. I am pulling a Cyclone 3611 rated around 17k pounds with a 2016 Ram 2500. I know this is taking a toll on the 2500 and am looking to upgrade to a 3500 DRW.

68RFE vs AISIN transmission?
3.42 vs 3.73 vs 4.10 rear end?

We recently moved to northern California and frequently make trips back to the center of the country to see family, so there is a lot of time spent going through the mountains. The 2500 with the 3.42 rear end does seem to have some struggles on the longer inclines.

Also, wanting to get something that will last for many years to come, even if we upgrade to a triple axle toy hauler in the future.

Appreciate any help and advice.

danemayer

Most of our towing is in the Colorado mountains, pulling a 16,000 lb. Landmark. The RAM dually with AISIN and 3.73 works well for us.

chiefneon

Howdy!

All of the new 350/3500 DRW truck are capable of what you need to tow. My only caution to you would be look carefully at the height of the TV bed to make sure you have enough clearance when towing. I’ve read countless post of folks purchasing new Ford and Dodge DRW trucks and having towing problems like this.

”Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
Most of our towing is in the Colorado mountains, pulling a 16,000 lb. Landmark. The RAM dually with AISIN and 3.73 works well for us.

I agree. We have a 18000 pound Landmark with the AISIN / 3:73 setup and it pulls really nice.
On the AISIN transmission, I have a friend in the transmission business and they picked up an AISIN for a core if needed, that was a few years ago and it still is sitting on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PondSkum

I recently switched from Ram 2500 to 3500 DRW. I got the 68RFE and 3.42 gears, but after looking farther into it, I wish I could have found my truck with the Aisin and 3.73 or 4.10 gears, as this truck is somewhat limited still on the capacity. I have no doubt it will pull whatever I hook to it, but the manufacturer's "ratings" are rather low on it. But I definitely feel way more comfortable pulling my 15k lb RW with the DRW that I did with the 2500.

If you want to do some research, go to fifthwheelst.com and play around with their calculators and stuff. I've figured out that my truck (2018 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab 4x4, 68RFE, 3.42 gears) should be able to "safely" tow up to around 16,500 lbs, and stay within the manufacturer's ratings. If I had the Aisin and 3.73 or 4.10's, the capacity increases quite a bit.

I've weighed my truck and trailer and the trailer is heavier than the sticker says it is. and I'm running approximately 23% on the pin weight without a toy in the garage. I hope to take a trip soon with the toy in there and see how much it affects the pin weight.

Good luck on the new truck search. Make sure you research and remember it's easier to "buy once, cry once".

I have the 3:73 gears and have had no problems towing in the hills.
When I brought mine, Ford did not give you an option, long bed crew cab diesel was a 3:73 gear set period.
I seem to remember seeing something, somewhere on fuel economy between 3:73 vs 4:10 gears and it was like 1 mpg difference.
My truck will average between 9.5 to 10.5 mpg on the road with 3:73 gears.
You have a little more towing capacity with the 4:10 but is it worth 1 mpg difference.
You really have to look at the weight you are towing and the regions you plan to tow in when you decide, for me, I don't do much mountain work so 3:73 works for me, if you plan on mountains, you will probably want 4:10.

Hockster

Thanks to everyone for all the input. It was very helpful.

Here is the result:
2018 Ram 3500 DRW with AISIN transmission and 3.73 rear end.

IMG_4004.jpg

Can't wait to get it out on the road with the Cyclone to see the difference from the 2500.

avvidclif

Thanks to everyone for all the input. It was very helpful.

Here is the result:
2018 Ram 3500 DRW with AISIN transmission and 3.73 rear end.

View attachment 57355

Can't wait to get it out on the road with the Cyclone to see the difference from the 2500.

Just get ready. It will take a week to wipe the grin off your face. Then the following week you will wear out a leg kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

david-steph2018

We have 2017 3500 DRW Aisin / 4:10 rear end. We added a brush guard, air dam light kit, side lights and a tailgate light bar. The side lights are a running light, turn signals and courtesy white lights when you open the doors. The tailgate light bar is running light, brake light, turn signal and a white back-up light in reverse. So going down the road you can see us.

With that set-up we have the truck is geared for up to 30K. The towing we have done we get around 9-10 MPG.
After we bought our Road Warrior 427 (16 K empty) we traded in a Laredo (10K lbs) and we got around 16 MPG towing with it.
Our first big trip will be to the TN rally in Sevierville Apr 26-29, 2018. Next trip will be to Daulphin Island, Al & Pensacola Fl in June I hope to get 10 MPG towing.

MHO can't bet the RAM. The Cummins is great