2017 - 18 F-350 Dually wheels leaking air.

Sniper

Over the past several weeks the left rear outer tire on our new truck kept losing air pressure, not a lot but 10-15 lbs a week. I figured I must of picked up a small nail and was getting ready to head to my favorite tire shop. Before I left I thought "better just spray some soap on that valve stem". Sure enough it started to bubble between the 2 pc TPS. Called the dealer...

...they got me in right away and found corrosion between the stem and the alloy wheel on both rear outer duals. Apparently they have recently starting seeing this issue with 2017-18 F350 dually's with alloy wheels ONLY and randomly.

Ford has approved replacement of both wheels and I'm taking it in first thing tomorrow morning (13 Apr) for replacement. I'll see if i can pin down the shop foreman and get some more info.

Thought I'd pass this along. Safe travels. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wonder if some bean counter decided to use cheap carbon steel stems instead of stainless steel ones. Carbon steel and aluminum don’t play well together. The other possibility is when inserting the “correct” stems, the process is breaking through the clear coat on the wheel opening and setting it up for filiform corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Over the past several weeks the left rear outer tire on our new truck kept losing air pressure, not a lot but 10-15 lbs a week. I figured I must of picked up a small nail and was getting ready to head to my favorite tire shop. Before I left I thought "better just spray some soap on that valve stem". Sure enough it started to bubble between the 2 pc TPS. Called the dealer...

...they got me in right away and found corrosion between the stem and the alloy wheel on both rear outer duals. Apparently they have recently starting seeing this issue with 2017-18 F350 dually's with alloy wheels ONLY and randomly.

Ford has approved replacement of both wheels and I'm taking it in first thing tomorrow morning (13 Apr) for replacement. I'll see if i can pin down the shop foreman and get some more info.

Thought I'd pass this along. Safe travels. :)

I haven't followed it because I still have my 2011, but on the Ford Truck forum (FTE) there is a thread about 2017 DRW's losing air.

And the corrosion problems are nothing new. My 2011 had the wheels changed twice due to corrosion and the 4th set is just as bad as the first three sets. And I bought a 5th set new, 1.5 years ago and they also have the same corrosion around the valve stems.

- - - Updated - - -

Found the thread for you.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495539-2017-drw-recurring-valve-stem-leaks.html

LBR

I haven't followed it because I still have my 2011, but on the Ford Truck forum (FTE) there is a thread about 2017 DRW's losing air.

And the corrosion problems are nothing new. My 2011 had the wheels changed twice due to corrosion and the 4th set is just as bad as the first three sets. And I bought a 5th set new, 1.5 years ago and they also have the same corrosion around the valve stems.

- - - Updated - - -

Found the thread for you.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495539-2017-drw-recurring-valve-stem-leaks.html
Thanx for the link, porthole...

I breezed thru all 136 posts....the general consensus is that my truck is not affected, but will keep watch on it, just in case.

Tdelegram

Thanx for the link, porthole...

I breezed thru all 136 posts....the general consensus is that my truck is not affected, but will keep watch on it, just in case.

I am in a 2017 f350 platinum drw and they are impacted. Getting my second new wheel under warranty next Friday and they will be ordering the third one that day. It is an issue with the aluminum wheels and steel tpms system and corrosion. Ford has a replacement tpms now but my understanding is that many aluminum rims were cracked due to mechanics over tightening the old tpms valve stem to try to stop them from leaking. I have had all 4 tpms replaced along with one wheel and need 2 wheels replaced now. Aside from this pia love the truck, the added torque longer wheel base and extra set of wheels make a massive f250.

Sniper

2 new wheels and valve stems installed. According to the tech the fix is a boride coated washer between the nut and the wheel on the metal valve stem. (there is no washer at all there from the factory) Time will tell I guess. First tow tomorrow! :cool:

Safe travels. :)

Sniper

2 new wheels and valve stems installed. According to the tech the fix is a boride coated washer between the nut and the wheel on the metal valve stem. (there is no washer at all there from the factory) Time will tell I guess. First tow tomorrow! :cool:

Safe travels. :)
Apparently that isn't the fix. The left rear outer valve stem is leaking again. Appointment for the Thursday 6 Sept. We'll see what they say the fix is this time. :rolleyes:

pegmikef

At about 14K miles the low tire alarm went off in my 2017 F350 DRW King Ranch. It was the door side outer wheel. I nursed in along until I got to my daughter's house (a little over a 1k miles). I would air it up to about 68 psi and it would take about five days (driving or not driving) to drop down to 60, so I would air it up again. Took it to the Ford Dealer and they replaced the valve stem. Has been fine since (4 weeks and another 1k miles).

NYSUPstater

From what I gather, Ford did have a problem w/ the '17 model year dually valve stems leaking. Mine did as well. Due to time it happened (2 wheels a week apart), I couldn't get to dealer, so had tire shop fix them. Although they didn't have exact part, they got them to work...........for awhile. Ended up going to dealer and had to wait a couple weeks for the stems due to nationwide backorder. Since then (after I got the new stems) , so far so good, BUT I have a steel rim that is showing a bit low on air compared to the other 3. Not much, about 3-4 pounds. Has been consistent at that, so will just need to add some air to it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had the same problem at first on 2 wheels, I took it to my guys at Les Schwab and we cleaned the sandy grit out of them and haven't had a problem sense. almost 2 years now.

CCH

Both fronts and one outer on my ‘17 were leaking when I took it to the dealer 3 months ago. The tech “rebuilt” the valves on all 4 aluminum rims and they’ve been great ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have had the leaks due to corrosion on the stems and the beads. Took it to a truck shop and they put bead sealer on all of the rims and stems after they cleaned them up. So far do good. Nice thing about going to a truck shop is that they have the equipment big enough to lift my pick up.

LBR

Kind of glad our 2017 dually doesn't have factory TPMS...lucked out there (for once!)

Sniper

The wheel was corroded again. The dealer put a new wheel and stem on. They said the wheel is an improved design (although we couldn't see any difference) the foreman said that probably means it has an improved coating on it. We'll see. :)