07 ram 2500 diesel, is it enough truck for big country 3650rl

Jdhosier

My current truck is a 2007 RAM 2500 with the 5.9 cummins. I bought a 2017 big country 3650RL and pulled it back to Indiana from Florida with no problems. Does anybody else have this combo, and have they had any problems?

danemayer

Hi Jdhosier,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

I'm sure you'll get some opinions shortly. You may also want to visit Fifth Wheel St. for a specification-based answer.

asherwin

My suggestion would be to get your unit weighed (configured for normal travel), focusing on Pin weight. My 2013 3650rl configured with the Onan gennie in the front compartment, and front closet full of clothes, and basement loaded with bbq, chairs, etc came in at 4030lbs pin weight which would be more than your tow vehicle is rated for. Of course you may be much lighter and therefore no worries.

Gaffer

Check your loaded rear axle weight the the loaded trailer on a scale to see how much over the rear axle rating you are. Could be little to none or more than your comfort level for safe towing.

SNOKING

Your first big issue is the 17" tires and their low weight ratings. 17" truck tires have become the unwanted stepchild of the tire industry. So you need to watch your pin weight carefully.

The next issue is the lack of an exhaust brake to help save service brakes on down hills.

That vintage 2500 was very similar to the 3500 SRW except for the rear spring pack.

Also be sure if your home state licenses tonnage that you are licensed to 11-12K. 11K may be include with base plate in your state.

Chris

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We pulled our first Big Country, a 2008 model 3250 which was a smaller camper with a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, but when we got the 2012 BC 3650, the 2500 just wasn't enough truck. We moved up to a single rear wheel Ram 3500 diesel. Now with the Landmark, we have a Ram dually which doesn't have the side to side roll that the single rear wheel had. Also much better braking system.