Recommendation for Basic and Ultimate Water Filter set?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Hey there Dave and Tracey,

• What would you recommend as the basic minimum water filter set up to have, that does not reduce flow and would capture the majority of impurities in the water? Hopefully something that does not break the bank, that someone could afford when first starting out.
  • What would you recommend as the optimal water filtration setup for overall full-timing or for folks that spend a lot of time in their RV's?
  • Also, beside filters, what else would you recommend (ie water pressure regulators)?

Rod

Ask-Dave

Hey there Dave and Tracey,

• What would you recommend as the basic minimum water filter set up to have, that does not reduce flow and would capture the majority of impurities in the water? Hopefully something that does not break the bank, that someone could afford when first starting out.
  • What would you recommend as the optimal water filtration setup for overall full-timing or for folks that spend a lot of time in their RV's?
  • Also, beside filters, what else would you recommend (ie water pressure regulators)?

Rod
Hello Rod, The backbone of any filtration system is a good sediment filter followed by a carbon filter. I recommend a 1 micron sediment filter followed by a 0.5 micron modified carbon block. Our Essential system has these filters, and will remove cysts (giardia and cryptosporidium), chlorine, VOC's, lead and heavy metals and taste/odor issues. This system retails for 119.95, but we will be offering a $20 discount at the rally's

Another staple is the water softener, especially if you are traveling to the desert states where the water is full of calcium and magnesium. This will protect your plumbing from white scale, which can damage your water heater, shower heads and leave white stains everywhere. Calcium and Magnesium are totally dissolved in the water, so even a ceramic filter will not remove all of it. You need the resin in a water softener or reverse osmosis to remove it.

The next step is to purify your drinking water with an under sink system. This is where you can remove the tough to get contaminants and pathogens. A Ceramic/carbon filter will remove bacteria, fluoride, arsenic, lead/heavy metals, chlorine, and help again with anything that got through the first carbon filter.

Reverse Osmosis will give you the purest water - it removes virtually everything from the water. There are some challenges with RO, in that you can only use water that has been stored in your tank. The other is that you generate 2 to 3 times as much brine water as the RO water which is usually put down the sewer. I am actually favoring the filter with a water softener path, as it doesn't need electricity and doesn't waste water.

In addition to the filters, a pressure regulator that can regulate between 55-65 PSI is ideal. You can either use a fixed regulator or an adjustable one. The adjustables are more expensive, but you can see the pressure that your RV is seeing on a gauge. You can also take advantage of higher pressure from the spigot to get the best flow through your filters. The cheap regulators that you can get will not only regulate the pressure, but also reduce the flow, so you usually have some weak pressure concerns inside your RV.

Lastly, make sure you have good hoses. Many hoses will kink and are rated for only 100 PSI. Some will actually add that plastic taste to the water, which is not only bad tasting, but is also unhealthy for you. We sell 2 layer PVC hoses with robust lead free brass or stainless steel fittings that are rated at 200 PSI. This would allow you to put your regulator on the RV side of the first hose instead of requiring it be on the spigot.

Thanks for your inquiry!
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

For20hunter

Dave,

Thanks for responding so quickly. So I currently have a 2 essential filter set up from you with a 1 micron sediment filter followed by a 0.5 micron modified carbon block with a clear canister for the sediment filer. I also have a great adjustable water pressure regulator that I purchased from you (RVWaterfilterstore.com).

We primarily RV along the west coast of the united states (Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California and Nevada. What would you recommend for a water softener? Is there one that you would recommend over another that is not too labor intensive or cost prohibitive?

Is there a particular hose kit that you would recommend in order to replace my existing ones? I have two 25' hoses, a 10' hose, a 15' hose and a 50' hose that makes it so I can hook up anywhere. I am thinking of replacing them with everything by the 50' and one of my 25' hoses in order to be able to accommodate anything up to 50' without having to lug along the 50' hose and another 25' hose;

Last but not least, how important is the under sink water filtration system and what is the basic cost of this? We currently fill all of our water for drinking from our kitchen sink that does not have a separate filtration system from the 2 filter essential setup and our water seems to taste great and not have any visible impurities. Would I be better off to change my 2 filter system to a 3 filter system to filter the entire coach instead?

I appreciate all your advice and help.

Rod

Last edited:

rxbristol

This is what I wrote in another thread on this subject:

We've been full-timing for over four years and have gone through various filter configurations, but it wasn't until I took a New Mexico state class on water sampling to follow state and federal laws so I could help an RV park maintain their water system, that I fully appreciate how hard it is to remove harmful bacteria from water. E.coli is one of the most difficult bacteria to remove--your filter will have to filter down to .1 micron to remove it. Knowing that, think about RV parks that use a frost-free water faucet. Those tall pipes have a tiny valve at the bottom to drain out water when it's turned off--it also sucks up a small amount of dirt when turned back on. Most of the stand-pipes are near the sewer systems where we've all had accidents with leaked sewage and where people rinse out the sewer hoses. The three filter system is adequate for general use, especially if used with an On-The-Go water softener--besides a reverse-osmosis system, your best bet for drinking water is to use a Berkey. Also, spray your RV water connection points with a 90% alcohol solution and let it evaporate before connecting your hose. Here's what I use--one-micron filter (removes sediment), water softener (removes magnesium and calcium), then a 5 micron block charcoal filter (removes chlorine and other bad tastes/odors). These filters sit outside. We then use the Berkey for our drinking water. You'd be surprised how many RV parks use wells for their water and how badly they're maintained.

Ask-Dave

This is what I wrote in another thread on this subject:

We've been full-timing for over four years and have gone through various filter configurations, but it wasn't until I took a New Mexico state class on water sampling to follow state and federal laws so I could help an RV park maintain their water system, that I fully appreciate how hard it is to remove harmful bacteria from water. E.coli is one of the most difficult bacteria to remove--your filter will have to filter down to .1 micron to remove it. Knowing that, think about RV parks that use a frost-free water faucet. Those tall pipes have a tiny valve at the bottom to drain out water when it's turned off--it also sucks up a small amount of dirt when turned back on. Most of the stand-pipes are near the sewer systems where we've all had accidents with leaked sewage and where people rinse out the sewer hoses. The three filter system is adequate for general use, especially if used with an On-The-Go water softener--besides a reverse-osmosis system, your best bet for drinking water is to use a Berkey. Also, spray your RV water connection points with a 90% alcohol solution and let it evaporate before connecting your hose. Here's what I use--one-micron filter (removes sediment), water softener (removes magnesium and calcium), then a 5 micron block charcoal filter (removes chlorine and other bad tastes/odors). These filters sit outside. We then use the Berkey for our drinking water. You'd be surprised how many RV parks use wells for their water and how badly they're maintained.

Thank you for your reply Rex,

As you said above, bacteria is very difficult to remove with a mechanical filter. Even the 0.5 nominal carbon filters aren't bacteria rated. The Aquacera Sterasyl filters we use are rated at 99.9999% bacteria removal, even e.coli. The ceramic outer shell is impregnated with silver to make it bacteriostatic, and the pores are rated at 0.5 microns absolute with a 99.9+ efficiency at 0.2 microns . All of the Doulton and Aquacera ceramic filters we use will filter bacteria. This makes a great under sink filter for clean, safe drinking water that can dispense at 1 GPM.
D-UC2.JPG
D-UC.JPG
Dave

Ask-Dave

Hi Rod,

The system you have is the same as our Essential System and it is what I recommend for the whole RV. For a water softener, I recommend the Double Standard On the Go. It is portable and is rated at 16000 grains, which gives you good capacity to reduce the frequency of recharging. On the Go has other sizes, but for the size/capacity value, the Double Standard is my recommendation.

The under sink system is an alternative to a counter top filter like the Britta or Berkey. It is able to remove bacteria and contaminants that you really can't get with a 3-4 Gallon Per Minute, whole RV system like the Essential System. This system will remove sediment down to 0.5 microns, chlorine, pesticides, VOC's, cysts (giardia and cryptosporidium) and improve the taste and odor of your water. It will also reduce lead and heavy metals.

So the importance of an under sink system depends mostly on your level of tolerance to bacteria, fluoride, arsenic, chloramines, lead, and other bad stuff that might be in your water. Realistically, there is some finite risk that you could get ill from bacteria, but the risk from the other contaminants would usually be due to long term exposure.

Safe Travels, Dave

rxbristol

Thank you for your reply Rex,

As you said above, bacteria is very difficult to remove with a mechanical filter. Even the 0.5 nominal carbon filters aren't bacteria rated. The Aquacera Sterasyl filters we use are rated at 99.9999% bacteria removal, even e.coli. The ceramic outer shell is impregnated with silver to make it bacteriostatic, and the pores are rated at 0.5 microns absolute with a 99.9+ efficiency at 0.2 microns . All of the Doulton and Aquacera ceramic filters we use will filter bacteria. This makes a great under sink filter for clean, safe drinking water that can dispense at 1 GPM.

Dave

Thanks, Dave...those are some pretty impressive under-the-sink filters.

mlpeloquin

I use the RV On-The-Go water softener, two sets of 1 micron and .5 micron filters in parallel for GPM water flow, and a UV 6 GPM light filter to kill or make inert any microbes including e-coli. My wife has a medically suppressed immune system and I do not want to take any chances. Another way to to is to do a complete house reverse osmosis like Jim Beletti did. I have mine on the outside, but does take time to set up and tear down. Here is a link to a installed system that is done well: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/51348-Water-Filtration-System?highlight=RO+system

On this thread https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...rk-365-Newport?p=548494&viewfull=1#post548494 post #15 shows Jim's previous rigs RO system. Somewhere there is a more detailed posting of this. He has yet to have time to install it on his new Landmark.

For20hunter

Hi Rod,

The system you have is the same as our Essential System and it is what I recommend for the whole RV. For a water softener, I recommend the Double Standard On the Go. It is portable and is rated at 16000 grains, which gives you good capacity to reduce the frequency of recharging. On the Go has other sizes, but for the size/capacity value, the Double Standard is my recommendation.

The under sink system is an alternative to a counter top filter like the Britta or Berkey. It is able to remove bacteria and contaminants that you really can't get with a 3-4 Gallon Per Minute, whole RV system like the Essential System. This system will remove sediment down to 0.5 microns, chlorine, pesticides, VOC's, cysts (giardia and cryptosporidium) and improve the taste and odor of your water. It will also reduce lead and heavy metals.

So the importance of an under sink system depends mostly on your level of tolerance to bacteria, fluoride, arsenic, chloramines, lead, and other bad stuff that might be in your water. Realistically, there is some finite risk that you could get ill from bacteria, but the risk from the other contaminants would usually be due to long term exposure.

Safe Travels, Dave

Thanks Dave!!

Rod

jbeletti

... Another way to to is to do a complete house reverse osmosis like Jim Beletti did. I have mine on the outside, but does take time to set up and tear down. Here is a link to a installed system that is done well: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/51348-Water-Filtration-System?highlight=RO+system

On this thread https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...rk-365-Newport?p=548494&viewfull=1#post548494 post #15 shows Jim's previous rigs RO system. Somewhere there is a more detailed posting of this. He has yet to have time to install it on his new Landmark.

Hi Marc - I actually did get this system up and running in the current coach over a year ago. I guess I just never updated that post :( That said, I'm in the process of building out a new location for my entire water plant. I'll also be doing an upgrade to the input filtration side - taking it to the "next level".

This post details the new space build-out.

This gallery will detail with images, v3 of my water plant. For now, it only includes the web images of the new input filtration setup.

porthole

Retired
This gallery will detail with images, v3 of my water plant. For now, it only includes the web images of the new input filtration setup.

Did you compare the two versions of the 3 filter sets? The web store doesn't exactly do a plus and minus of the two. Although the SoB version is listed as being useful for drawing water from not city or well supplied.

The 10" listing, that's not diameter is it"

jbeletti

Did you compare the two versions of the 3 filter sets? THe web store doesn't exactly do a plus and minus of the two. Although the SoB version is listed as being useful for drawing water from not city or well supplied.

The 10" listing, that's not diameter is it"

Did not compare. 10" I believe it the length of the cartridge.

tbrady

Before we examine the various kinds of water cleaning innovations and which one out of these suits your requirements, first comprehend the various sorts of pollutants discovered regularly in drinking water. The nature of water, level of debasements like hurtful contaminations, synthetics and organic pollutions like microbes and infections, and hardness, everything relies upon the wellspring of water. As the name proposes, Reverse Osmosis (RO) does something contrary to Osmosis push the water atoms from the area of higher TDS level to the district of lower TDS level. This is accomplished by applying the outer pressing factor with the assistance of a water siphon to invert the regular progression of water. The sole and greatest measures to choose the sort of water filter or purifier you should purchase is the wellspring of water and the sort of debasements present in the water provided to your home or office.

Last edited: