Silverado 2500 towing

I posted previously but don’t know where my post went, so if I wind up with 2 posts please excuse me. I have a 2006 60,000 mile (ya I know it’s old) crew cab Duramax. I currently tow my Sundance with no problems. We are looking for a toyhauler to haul our SxS with us. I need a 12’garage I think to fit my SxS it is 116.8” long. My options are limited with a 2500. I like heartland quality and the only one I think maybe will work I a torque 321. It weighs in at 11,570 empty. My question , will my truck handle this toyhauler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I posted previously but don’t know where my post went, so if I wind up with 2 posts please excuse me. I have a 2006 60,000 mile (ya I know it’s old) crew cab Duramax. I currently tow my Sundance with no problems. We are looking for a toyhauler to haul our SxS with us. I need a 12’garage I think to fit my SxS it is 116.8” long. My options are limited with a 2500. I like heartland quality and the only one I think maybe will work I a torque 321. It weighs in at 11,570 empty. My question , will my truck handle this toyhauler?

My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel has a dry weight of 12700. My 05 lly Silverado Crew cab does fine. I did add an extra leaf spring.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel has a dry weight of 12700. My 05 lly Silverado Crew cab does fine. I did add an extra leaf spring.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is good to know. I’m not to worried about pulling it without anything in the garage but adding another 1700lb SxS is what I’m concerned about. I downloaded the rvtowcheck app and will run the numbers. Thanks for you reply.

sengli

We have looked at toy haulers many times over the years. One thing I have taken away from that for a fact, is they are much heavier than your average non hauler rig. Usually with higher pin weights. Before you buy I would really look into the numbers. I had a chevy 2500 at one time, but when I upgraded RV's...the truck had to be upgraded too.

Oldelevatorman

You'll probably be out of payload when it's loaded. Forget about dry weight, no one tows a dry trailer! Take 20% of its GVWR then see where you're at relative to your truck's payload, among other weights you need to check!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think the trailer you are considering is going to be too much for your truck.

I know it would be for mine!

By the by...I have a 2015 Chevy 2500HD and it has 66,000+ miles on it.

avvidclif

If the 321 has a generator forget it. A toy hauler has most of the weight in front of the axles to compensate for the load on the rear. Unloaded your pin weight will be too much. Loaded the pin may be OK but the GVWR will be out of the park. The motor and the tranny probably will be fine but that's not what hauls the load and stops it.

My current fiver weighs 7,120 lbs empty and it’s probably around 9,000lbs loaded. I barely know it’s back there so I ran the numbers on a online fifth wheel calculator program and this is what I came up with. Maximum trailer weight with margin (15%) 10,200lbs. Maximum king pin weight 3,000lbs. Maximum king pin weight with margin 2,550 lbs. So according to this if I did it right the maximum loaded trailer weight that I need to look for is only 10,200lbs? Does this sound right?

avvidclif

How about posting the vehicle info to include the sticker weights shown on the door post. If you have weighed it empty that would help. Lots of variance from a regular cab, and crew cab. Also bed length.

How about posting the vehicle info to include the sticker weights shown on the door post. If you have weighed it empty that would help. Lots of variance from a regular cab, and crew cab. Also bed length.

I haven’t weighed it but nada says it’s 5,755lbs and I assumed that’s empty weight so I was thinking around 6,500lbs or so with fuel and 2 people. Give or take
af317bc9b15a5203b57db3790751a2cb.jpg
here is the specs from my owners manual
73f8040863ecd3d2af83fa232718f0bd.jpg
also at the end they say the GCWR for the 6.6 Diesel is 23,200lbs. I don’t know if they are just talking about a long box regular cab or all 2500s
87be4bdfed3f5f1e3a3eaade343aa9d3.jpg
Sticker from door
36cb6c4521d40ec4019574482ce2dc30.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I haven’t weighed it but nada says it’s 5,755lbs and I assumed that’s empty weight so I was thinking around 6,500lbs or so with fuel and 2 people. Give or take

I had a 2007 GMC crew cab, short bed Duramax. Curb weight was 7,200 pounds. GVWR 9,200 pounds.
That was weighed on a CAT scale, no guesstimate.
Pretty much the same truck you have.

Peace
Dave

Yes,I searched the net and found it is more the weight that Cookie said (I thought the specs NADA listed didn’t seem right. ) Any one come up with a maximum fifth wheel weight I can safely pull so I know what I can shop for? I found a KZ sportster 331th13 that looks like it might be light enough.Dry weight 9105lbs, Hitch weight 2,020lbs, gross weight 11,995. Anyone know anything about KZ Quality? I don’t know if any of the heartland torque or fuels can be considered on account of their weight.