Temp detector for dogs?

Can anyone recommend a good safety system/monitor for the unattended animals in the trailer. Need one that doesn't rely on Wi-Fi. Thanks

RoadJunkie

Gonna be tough without WiFi. Maybe with bluetooth compatible sensors one cell phone can call another? But really, animals left alone are always at risk and--regardless of what owners say--they will (dogs, at least) bark and annoy other campers.

esscobra

so a router that has wifi and use cell for data is constant online ( cradlepoint ) fo r monitoring etc or are you looking for temp control- onan has temp autostarts to run a/c to keep cool

LBR

Can anyone recommend a good safety system/monitor for the unattended animals in the trailer. Need one that doesn't rely on Wi-Fi. Thanks
A bit more descriptive as to what your wanting would help, as mention earlier.

You can monitor interior temperatures by satellite, instead of cell service, so it works great for desert boondocking.

A bit more descriptive as to what your wanting would help, as mention earlier.

You can monitor interior temperatures by satellite, instead of cell service, so it works great for desert boondocking.

A monitor that would alert my cell phone if the temp in the trailer got hot.

esscobra

the sensor that sends temp alert is easy = many options- apc corp makes many different ones - used in computer server rooms- others as well - you should look at a cell base router that will provide constant internet so it can send alert out - also onan makes autostart for generator that is designed to monitor temp and start gen and a/c - also many inverters and solar controllers are starting to have tenability to end alerts and have temp sensors google apc netbotz

- - - Updated - - -

they even have a 20ft rope sensor that detects liquids - this would be good in the basement area near w/h and pump + lines

Gerri

I have one of the ones from Bass Pro works great at the house, have not thought about putting it in the truck, but I am going to this weekend. Great idea!

As an aside... we are taking the dogs on a trip this weekend and it's supposed to be miserable hot 100+ of course the side vents on the camper shell will be open and the dogs will be in open wire crates. I plan on stopping every couple hours and watering and walking. Is this sufficient as long as we don't get stuck in traffic etc?

What are the max temps you would let your dogs see in a crate?

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

I have one of the ones from Bass Pro works great at the house, have not thought about putting it in the truck, but I am going to this weekend. Great idea!

As an aside... we are taking the dogs on a trip this weekend and it's supposed to be miserable hot 100+ of course the side vents on the camper shell will be open and the dogs will be in open wire crates. I plan on stopping every couple hours and watering and walking. Is this sufficient as long as we don't get stuck in traffic etc?

When we traveled with our pets and it was hot i did the following. I had a remote wireless thermometer (about$20 bucks) with the readout in the truck and sensor in the center of the Landmark. When it got to 84 I would stop and run the Onan while traveling. Usually in 30 minutes or less I cooled the Landmark enough to shut down the generator. Someday! I'll purchase the Onan auto gen start, it is very programmable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

rhodies1

We put our 2 dogs in the back seat of the truck in there boosters seats with us,never would travel with them in the trailer,have you ever been inside your unit while it is moving,even a short distanc thru a campground will surprise you with the amount of creeking and bouncing a trailer does while moving.It would be scary on the highway for your dogs.

KyleC

We open the windows, take the table out and insert our wire cage and secure it with staps. And every time we stop we check and walk them. Considering a battery powered fan just to circulate some more air. But I'm in Louisiana so the humidity make us feel like we are using our gills instead of lungs! We did this on a 4 .5 hour trip and it went well. Thought about a baby monitor set up so we could keep an eye on them. Possibly use a baby monitor with a thermometer in view?

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx
4816 lbs dry wieght

Gerri

Trane has a home thermostat that lets you monitor the temperature in your home as well as set it with a smart phone app. I'm sure there is a thermostat for an rv that works the same. You might check and see if their thermostat work on yours toys.

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Do you have a Onan generator.
Because that's part of the auto generator start up.
You can program the interior temp to start the generator and run an ac.

carl.swoyer

If you're traveling with the dogs in the RV , buy a remote thermostat at Wally world. Keep the read out remote in the vehicle while traveling. I did this when we had our cat . works great.

lynndiwagoner

Here's the way I do it but you will need some kind of access to the internet, i.e. hotspot on cellphone. I have one of those indoor/outdoor temperature devices and keep it in the RV so I can monitor outside and inside temperatures. Purchase a wifi IP camera and aim it at the display on the temp sensor. I can then use my cellphone and an app to monitor the inside temperature from anywhere. The camera I use is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G81Y7C5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but there are many other brands available. Buy a couple and aim one at the doggy area in the rig.

Good luck.

BrannonB

I bought a grill thermometer from Walmart that don’t power off by itself. When we are gone from the RV with the dogs left inside I set it up and have our iPad turned to where we can look at the thermometer via a security camera app. I use the “presence” app just because it was free and I can access it from any smart device.