Wheel Rating - 2009 BH3055

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
I recently took delivery of a 2009 BH3055 (#3498).

I am trying to confirm the wheel rating (E or G) for this unit. I have taken one of the wheels off and on the back, it indicates that the weight rating is 3,750 lbs but there is no indication of the maximum PSI.

I need that information to decide which replacement tires I can buy.

Could that be confirmed?

Thanks, Bob

jimtoo

Hi Bob,

I don't want to contradict what Ray posted, but according to specs the 3055 has 6000# axles and E rated tires. So the wheels would be rated at 80psi, unless you somehow got 7000# axles on yours. The axles should have a tag on it with rating of 6000 or 7000. I have an 08 3055RL and mine is equipped 6000lb axles.

I replaced my Missions with Michelin XPS Rib LT235-85R16 E and run 80psi with no problems. Check your tires on the trailer now, what are they rated for?

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
No worries about contradictions. My 3400 has 6000# axles and LR G wheels. I believe all alloy/aluminum wheels that Heartland puts on their 6000# and 7000# axles are the same rating. Mine were the "Series06" brand wheels and had both the weight and the psi rating forged into one spoke. You should be able to see it without removing the wheel if you get a view of the right spot on the wheel. I'm willing to wager yours has the G wheels as well.

Ray LeTourneau

Here is a link to Goodyears load range/inflation chart. If you look at the chart you will see that the 3750 lb. load rating matches up to the 110 psi inflation. This chart is for trailer and rv tires. http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
Consequently if your wheels are rated for 3750# that translates to a 110 psi rating. Keep in mind, that inflation rating is for Load Range G tires, Not E.

Chuck Richard

Hi All,

Just went out to check the tire manufacture date on my '09 3055 and can confirm what Ray stated. I have the aluminum wheels and stamped on the inside of the spoke is a weight rating of 3750 lbs and a pressure rating of 110 psi. Good for for when I need to replace the tires.

deee2

ok, I'm just a dumb female WHEN it comes to tires and wheels. Do you mean our 2009/3055 that has the aluminum wheels and E rated tires is set up to be able to take the G rated tires? So you can put either size tire on the Bighorn?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Donna :)

Ray LeTourneau

ok, I'm just a dumb female WHEN it comes to tires and wheels. Do you mean our 2009/3055 that has the aluminum wheels and E rated tires is set up to be able to take the G rated tires? So you can put either size tire on the Bighorn?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Donna :)
Donna, Yes, but check the back side of the wheel for sure. They should have the numbers "forged or stamped" on the back of the wheel. Something like 3750 max lbs. or 110 max psi. As for size, you should stay very close to or the same size but you can go to the increased load range "G". I hope this help clear things up.

jimtoo

I did go and check mine also. They have cast into the spoke a max load rating of 3750 lbs. I did not see the 110psi rating on mine, but they should be rated for it.

Thanks for setting us or me straight Ray. Good to know, now if they would have just made the axles 7000# also.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

I did go and check mine also. They have cast into the spoke a max load rating of 3750 lbs. I did not see the 110psi rating on mine, but they should be rated for it.

Thanks for setting us or me straight Ray. Good to know, now if they would have just made the axles 7000# also.

Jim M
7000# axles would have been a real treat. I wonder what the real difference is between the two??? I must admit I feel much better with the addition of the G614's I think my next upgrade will be the wet bolts for the spring mounts. I found a place that stocks them in Corpus. See you in a few weeks at Rayford?

5erWonk

My '08 BH3055 came with 6000lb axles and E rated 80lb tires; however, the wheels are rated 110lbs. Lucky for me, made the switch to G rated tires easy.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Our 07 3055 came with "E" tires with max PSI of 90lbs. Wheels are stamped on the back of the rim for 110PSI..../Doug

deee2

Thanks for all the info on the wheels and tire sizes. We're thinking of switching out our tires and would prefer the G rated tires, unless it would put our weight over the axle recommendations.

We're back from our five week trip..... had a great time.

Send money! LOL

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks for all the info on the wheels and tire sizes. We're thinking of switching out our tires and would prefer the G rated tires, unless it would put our weight over the axle recommendations.

We're back from our five week trip..... had a great time.

Send money! LOL
Steve, you bring up an interesting topic for discussion. We all have trailers with Gross vehicle weight ratings. When we scale our rigs, how much of that weight is tires, axles, brakes and springs? Now I'm not trying to get picky here or anything. Just some food for banter. :D

cmart

More contradictions. I've have a 2008 3055RL with 6000 lb axles but my wheels have 110 PSI on the back side. I've personally checked these numbers and they are correct. Question now is, can I do G rated tires, although I'm perfectly happy now with the xps ribs that I replaced the Mission maypops with.

Ray LeTourneau

More contradictions. I've have a 2008 3055RL with 6000 lb axles but my wheels have 110 PSI on the back side. I've personally checked these numbers and they are correct. Question now is, can I do G rated tires, although I'm perfectly happy now with the xps ribs that I replaced the Mission maypops with.
Curtis, when your XPS Ribs wear out, yes, you can replace them with "G" rated tires.