Ceiling vents - Mfg. Pre-wired with 12 VDC ?

I have a 2008 Sundance Fifth Wheel. I'm looking to upgrade the bedroom ceiling vent with a new vent (upgrade) with a built in exhaust fan.
Before I start the upgrade, I'm wondering if the Mfg. "Pre-wired" their trailers (available at the time of sell) with the option to upgrade the ceiling vents?
Life would be good if all I've to do is locate the pre-wired 12 VDC wire loom near the vent.

Byron in Tucson, AZ.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2008 Sundance Fifth Wheel. I'm looking to upgrade the bedroom ceiling vent with a new vent (upgrade) with a built in exhaust fan.
Before I start the upgrade, I'm wondering if the Mfg. "Pre-wired" their trailers (available at the time of sell) with the option to upgrade the ceiling vents?
Life would be good if all I've to do is locate the pre-wired 12 VDC wire loom near the vent.

Byron in Tucson, AZ.

Remove the cowling around the ceiling opening. If there are wires, they should be behind it. If there are 12V wires up there, installing something like a Heng Vortex multi-speed fan is fairly simple.

Remove the cowling around the ceiling opening. If there are wires, they should be behind it. If there are 12V wires up there, installing something like a Heng Vortex multi-speed fan is fairly simple.

JohnDar,
Thanks for the reply.
I did removed the ceiling shroud and sure enough I found a Hot 12 VDC cable wire stuff under the
insulation. Looking at the pictures, I also found a brown cable with two wires inside, a red/white wires. I tried measuring the red/white wires with a DMM thinking they are controlled be the thermostat somehow, but nothing can across the wires while playing with the thermostat. Any ideal what they were meant for?
Again thanks for the help!

Byron in Tucson AZ.

IMG_1123.jpg

JohnDar

JohnDar,
Thanks for the reply.
I did removed the ceiling shroud and sure enough I found a Hot 12 VDC cable wire stuff under the
insulation. Looking at the pictures, I also found a brown cable with two wires inside, a red/white wires. I tried measuring the red/white wires with a DMM thinking they are controlled be the thermostat somehow, but nothing can across the wires while playing with the thermostat. Any ideal what they were meant for?
Again thanks for the help!

Byron in Tucson AZ.

View attachment 57438

Byron, my unsubstantiated guess is the red & white wires might be for a secondary thermostat if you had an AC unit in the bedroom, especially if they’re a small gage wire. The other end might be in the wall near your main thermostat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest that you call Heartland Customer Service and they should be able to tell you where that low voltage thermostat wire terminates in a wall.
I'm with Jon in that I believe it is for a fan thermostat. If it were for an AC unit you would find a Romex 120 volt cable up there as well.
Heartland Customer Service 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

I suggest that you call Heartland Customer Service and they should be able to tell you where that low voltage thermostat wire terminates in a wall.
I'm with Jon in that I believe it is for a fan thermostat. If it were for an AC unit you would find a Romex 120 volt cable up there as well.
Heartland Customer Service 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030.

Peace
Dave

Right! Forgot about the separate thermostat for our Fantastic Fan in the kitchen area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk