2017 Bighorn 3970rd coffered ceiling beam falling down- Anybody have this issue?

Pizzaguy

We have a 2017 Bighorn 3970rd that is one month out of warranty. We had our dealer fix all warranty items we noticed last fall and just pulled the unit home this spring from dealer. Thanks to mother nature still dumping snow on us, we finally got in there this weekend. Wife noticed the decorative cross beam is falling down. I sent some pictures to my dealer today and I'm sure I will hear from him Monday, but wanted to know if any other 3970 owners have seen this and what it took to fix. This is our third Bighorn and love it, but this is an issue that I don't even want to pull it for fear of more damage.

Attachments

• Bighorn Ceiling pic 2.jpg
    Bighorn Ceiling pic 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Bighorn Ceiling pic 1.jpg
    Bighorn Ceiling pic 1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 126
Last edited by a moderator:

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Have a 2016 Big Horn 3270rs that has the same type of ceiling and had some pieces come loose also. What I did was got my pin nailer out with my air compressor and went through and nailed everything that was loose. Don't wait for your dealer to do it for you as it will take for ever for them to get it done.

Pizzaguy

Have a 2016 Big Horn 3270rs that has the same type of ceiling and had some pieces come loose also. What I did was got my pin nailer out with my air compressor and went through and nailed everything that was loose. Don't wait for your dealer to do it for you as it will take for ever for them to get it done.
Thank you for your idea BigJim. If this was the smaller coffered beams I would do that. This is a large decorative arched beam that divides the kitchen from the rear and I don't think brad nails would hold up. 20180422_120931.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Your right. I don't have that large arch, only the smaller cross pieces that's in the back ground. That's what I was having come loose on my rig. You might want to check with Heartland customer service and send them a few pics and see if they can help you.

wdk450

You might have to take the beam down, get some of the metal anchors I suggest for walls, etc. metal wall anchor.jpg Then put your beam back up with screws, and get decorative wood screw hole covers at the hardware store.

I had to do the same sort of repair on my vertical cabinet that sits next to the wall on my kitchen island. It was simply nailed to the wall, and came loose under road vibrations. See this thread: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...inet-Detached-from-Wall-(2008-Bighorn-3670RL)

Last edited:

Pizzaguy

Thanks to all for the replies to this. I emailed pictures to my dealer on Sunday. I received a call from the service manager already at 10:30 this morning telling me that they sent this in to Heartland and that they were going to cover the repair. Not only do I have a great dealer, but Thank You to Heartland for taking care of this and making sure my next unit will be another Heartland product. I think I figured out a way to brace this to make the trip to the dealer for the repair also.