Power keeps shutting down

JENDAVE

First time out hooked up to shore power since returning from Indiana, and our electric keeps shutting down for a few seconds with increasing frequency. 50 amp service here, no issues with the supply. Also when we arrived the electric fireplace does not work, power to the outlet, but the fireplace is dead. Why couldn’t this have happened while we were at the factory for service last week....ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JENDAVE

What do you mean "no issues with supply"? In what way is your electricity shutting down?

The power is fine from the pole. everything shuts down- microwave, fan, light flickering in fridge. Anything that doesn’t run on battery shuts off for few seconds. Runs like it’s not getting enough juice in between.

danemayer

The power is fine from the pole. everything shuts down- microwave, fan, light flickering in fridge. Anything that doesn’t run on battery shuts off for few seconds. Runs like it’s not getting enough juice in between.

How did you determine the power is fine from the pole?

SNOKING

I hope you have a good surge protector that shuts down if neutral is missing? On 50 amp service this is a very important item to have installed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Snoking brings up a good point about the EMS possibly shutting you down.
Also, I had an issue similar to yours in that our power would shut down and and come back on. Sometimes out for a second sometimes for a minute or two.
I determined that the problem was with the cord reel. If I pulled the shore cord out a bit the problem went away.
So try to extend the cord off the reel for about a quarter turn to see if that helps eliminate that as a problem area.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

First time out hooked up to shore power since returning from Indiana, and our electric keeps shutting down for a few seconds with increasing frequency. 50 amp service here, no issues with the supply. Also when we arrived the electric fireplace does not work, power to the outlet, but the fireplace is dead. Why couldn’t this have happened while we were at the factory for service last week....ugh!

Do you have an inverter in line?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wdk450

Did you have any electrical repairs/modifications done in Indiana? In other words, what changed in Indiana. Did you have any electrical problems on the overnight stays on the way home? I wonder if any connections vibrated loose during the trip home. You may have to start at the incoming shore power plug and work your way through the AC electrical system checking and tightening connections at every point to find the problem. Do you have a cord reel? This has been a reported point of many loose electrical connections.

The refrigerator light on the non-residential (RV) refrigerators is powered by 12 volts DC, not the AC system.

My EMS system has developed a false repeated detection of the AC power line frequency being low - this causes the protection relay to cut off the power until either the false detection goes away, or I bypass the EMS system. If you understand how the interconnected electrical grid works, and the ramifications of massive power feeds being out of phase due to incorrect generated frequency, you would see that the power frequency being wrong from the grid is nearly impossible. Heck, 1 giant alternator will be pulled (like a giant motor) by the rest of the grid if it is slow. This is limited by huge circuit breakers and wiring capacities.

SNOKING

Did you have any electrical repairs/modifications done in Indiana? In other words, what changed in Indiana. Did you have any electrical problems on the overnight stays on the way home? I wonder if any connections vibrated loose during the trip home. You may have to start at the incoming shore power plug and work your way through the AC electrical system checking and tightening connections at every point to find the problem. Do you have a cord reel? This has been a reported point of many loose electrical connections.

The refrigerator light on the non-residential (RV) refrigerators is powered by 12 volts DC, not the AC system.

My EMS system has developed a false repeated detection of the AC power line frequency being low - this causes the protection relay to cut off the power until either the false detection goes away, or I bypass the EMS system. If you understand how the interconnected electrical grid works, and the ramifications of massive power feeds being out of phase due to incorrect generated frequency, you would see that the power frequency being wrong from the grid is nearly impossible. Heck, 1 giant alternator will be pulled (like a giant motor) by the rest of the grid if it is slow. This is limited by huge circuit breakers and wiring capacities.

I would be very reluctant to put a EMS in bypass while connected to 50 shore power. If an issue is with neutral you can fry a lot of AC items.

Chris

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My EMS system has developed a false repeated detection of the AC power line frequency being low - this causes the protection relay to cut off the power until either the false detection goes away, or I bypass the EMS system
Off topic from the OP, but Bill if you have a Progressive Industries EMS, it sounds like you need a new logic board. Give them a call and they will send you a new one. No charge.

Peace
Dave