Frigidaire door latch on BigC residential unit

Having door latch problems on my Frigidaire residential a/c fridge in my 2015 Big Country 3650 RV. Two part latch at top of door, one being male and the other female and snap together when closing the door. Each piece is approx. 2 - 3”. Screws holding them to the door and fridge body have worked loose and stripped the hole in the stainless steel housing and I feel sure replacement with a size larger screw would only extend the damage. Anyone aware of this situation and a solution? I was wondering if a magnetic type of latch was available and would it work?

danemayer

Some people are strapping the doors together with velcro.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put larger screws through the top of the fridge. The refrigerant lines run close to the top and you could easily puncture the line and ruin the refrigerator.

MCTalley

Our 2015 BC 3650RL with the Frigidaire residential fridge had the "newer" solution that Heartland started using - a couple disks stuck to the door with a rubber thing that connected to both disks to hold the doors together. (Difficult to describe).

One of the stick-on disks came off during our PDI. The tech doing our walkthrough removed the remaining stick-on disk and gave us a velcro strap to wrap around both door handles with the promise of getting us another "official" door strap. We never picked it up and are still using the velcro strap around the door handles 2 1/2 years later.

In summary - remove the hardware completely and get about a 10-12" velcro strap.

JohnHutson back regarding fridge door latch thread a couple of days ago. Based on what I have just read here plus comments from the Frigidaire service man, it appears this latch is used when one is travelling. Please let me know as my 3650 is parked in a seasonal site and never moved.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Then little plastic stick-ons lasted exactly one trip before breaking and allowing the door to swing open and leave a nice dent. Bummer! We used velcro straps and no problems with the fridge doors since.

farside291

Bungy cord for me wrapped between handles with small pieces of swim noodles over each door handle in case the doors bounce open when traveling. Keeps the door handles from hitting the island.

MCTalley

JohnHutson back regarding fridge door latch thread a couple of days ago. Based on what I have just read here plus comments from the Frigidaire service man, it appears this latch is used when one is travelling. Please let me know as my 3650 is parked in a seasonal site and never moved.

If you aren't moving, then you really don't need those latches at all. I'd remove what is left and discard. If and when the unit gets moved next, wrap something around the two handles (velcro strap, bungee, whatever).

esscobra

ive found the newer twist ties they have everywhere ( rubber coated metal in colors ) works fantastic- they have many sizes and are available everywhere now

gear te by nite ize

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
Zip ties were the solution for our Samsung. I just keep a pack of them in the cabinet above the fridge.