I can't get the ball loose from the hitch - ideas?

D

Dusty Eagle

I bought my 21FBS last spring and every time I try to unhitch
my trailer from my vehicle I have a very hard time getting the ball
to separate from the hitch.. Is there some magic that I am not doing to make it simple...?
I have had other RV trailers and never had any problem.
Thanks in advance.
Dusty Eagle

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We are having the same problem. I have to tap the latch with a hammer to get it open. I'm sure there is an adjustment somewhere.

freex4

Not magic, but I had the same problem. I do two things; first I grease the top of the ball before hitching, works great.
Secondly, I lower the trailer as much as possible first, then unlock the ball, then raise the hitch, this helps to loosen the ball lock underneath and allows the hitch to come off.
Try it and let me know how it works.

Paul

smildrum

In addition to the grease, sometimes we have to move the tow vehicle back or forward a bit to get the ball in the right place to be released. Good Luck

irvin56

Trailer blocked

When I unhook I leave my vehicle in nutrual and also when i hook up. Can move tv back and forth to unlatch then I put in park after i'm unlatched

dewwood

It is necessary to relieve pressure on the hitch so that it will unhook. Two things to remember when doing this, block the trailer and never leave your vehicle in neutral without the emergency brake applied. A person I knew was killed when his TV rolled and pinned him causing his death.

D

Dusty Eagle

Thanks all, first I'll grease the ball, lower the hitch all the way down, tap the latch with a hammer, raise it up and jump on it, before I put the vehicle in gear and move it back and forth.
Sounds like it should work that way ha..?!!

snuffy

Thanks all, first I'll grease the ball, lower the hitch all the way down, tap the latch with a hammer, raise it up and jump on it, before I put the vehicle in gear and move it back and forth.

It might help to raise it up and then put the vehicel in neutral to relieve the pressure, put on emergency brake and then back in park. All assuming you are level.

truknutt

Committed Member

Well, well, well....Ole Dusty's a comedian. We'll have to be on the lookout for his brand of humor!! :D:D

Actually, backing the trailer in puts the latch in a bind. It happens on my car trailer, cargo trailer and even the Cyclone binds at times. I find that either blocking the tires or engaging just the trailer brakes and then rolling the TV forward will usually do the trick.

Welcome to the wonderful world of trailer towing!

See ya down the road unless you're still greasing the ball, lowering the hitch all the way down, tapping the latch with a hammer, raising it up and jumping on it, before putting the vehicle in gear and moving it back and forth! :rolleyes:

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
It's probably sticking because of pressure from the TV still on it. Fifth wheels are hard to unhook too if the TV still is pulling on the pin.

I lower the landing gear first and then relese my parking brake with the truck in neutral and let it settle then set the brake and unlatch and crank up the landing gear.

I don't grease the ball, never. Makes a big mess and will be a magnet to your slacks everytime you are near it getting something out of the back of the TV.

D

Dusty Eagle

thanks guy's. I'll try it all and do whatever works except greaseing the ball. I wouldn't want that mess either.