Campground recommendations in Colorado

RKDAVE

I am looking for Campground/RV Resort recommendations in Colorado. My wife and I love hiking and biking. We have never camped in Colorado, and it’s been on our bucket list for several years. We would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations from those of you who have had great campground experiences in this beautiful state. We would prefer full hookups.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greengas

Any chance you could narrow down the scope of this a bit? Colorado is a very big state and there are hiking and biking available just about everywhere. The state offers everything from National and State Parks to great places to boondock. How long will your visit be and are there other things that you want to do while here such as Rocky Mountain National Park, or Pikes Peak, or the Great Sand Dunes National Park, or Mesa Verde National Park and so much more. So, if you can provide some scope I'm sure those of us in Colorado and those who have traveled here will be happy to guide ya!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I think the easier question would be where not to camp. We have never had a bad experience camping anywhere in our state. It is an easy task finding trails to bike and hike, that is a popular thing to do. Pick an elevation you are comfortable with and find an rv spot and go. Just make sure you reserve early and if going to higher elevations go slow. Elevation sickness is real and it can ruin your day. Safe travels.

RKDAVE

Any chance you could narrow down the scope of this a bit? Colorado is a very big state and there are hiking and biking available just about everywhere. The state offers everything from National and State Parks to great places to boondock. How long will your visit be and are there other things that you want to do while here such as Rocky Mountain National Park, or Pikes Peak, or the Great Sand Dunes National Park, or Mesa Verde National Park and so much more. So, if you can provide some scope I'm sure those of us in Colorado and those who have traveled here will be happy to guide ya!

You are absolutely right! Colorado is a large state with a plethora of beautiful places to see and experience. We are planning on spending approximately two weeks in Colorado. After giving it some further thought, we would like to see Mesa Verde and the surrounding areas to include Durango and Ouray. We will catch Rocky Mountain National Park on the next trip. With that said, do you have any suggestions on where to stay and what additional places to visit? I would greatly appreciate any additional advice or insights!

- - - Updated - - -

we stayed at chatfield park for a week last summer. loved it.. just south of denver

Thanks for the recommendation. We will check it out!

RKDAVE

I think the easier question would be where not to camp. We have never had a bad experience camping anywhere in our state. It is an easy task finding trails to bike and hike, that is a popular thing to do. Pick an elevation you are comfortable with and find an rv spot and go. Just make sure you reserve early and if going to higher elevations go slow. Elevation sickness is real and it can ruin your day. Safe travels.

That’s really great advice. It’s a whole different ballgame hiking and biking in California at sea level vs 10,000 plus! We are going to plan on seeing Mesa Verde, Ouray, Telluride, Durango and the surrounding areas. We will be spending about two weeks in the area. Any additional suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

we stayed at chatfield park for a week last summer. loved it.. just south of denver

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge. Book now.

Thank you for the recommendation! We love that area!

- - - Updated - - -

This is a great resource to search for Campgrounds! Thanks so much for the link!!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
In the Mesa Verde area is the Ancient Cedars RV Resort and Mesa Verde RV Resort. Both are just across the road from the Visitors Center. This whole area of Durango, Mancos, and Cortez has a lot of history on the Ancient Puebloans and sites to visit.

We also like the Ridgeway State Park near Ouray and the campground below the dam has full hookups. It gives you access to Ouray, Telluride, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

This corner of the state has lots more to see and do that could easily fill 2 weeks.

Greengas

Since you are going to be in the 4 corners region, don't forget to visit 4 corners itself. Ok, the landmark that shows where the 4 states meet is actually a bit off but it is still a great place to go.

jerryjay11

In the Mesa Verde area is the Ancient Cedars RV Resort and Mesa Verde RV Resort. Both are just across the road from the Visitors Center. This whole area of Durango, Mancos, and Cortez has a lot of history on the Ancient Puebloans and sites to visit.

We also like the Ridgeway State Park near Ouray and the campground below the dam has full hookups. It gives you access to Ouray, Telluride, and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

This corner of the state has lots more to see and do that could easily fill 2 weeks.
Not to mention the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde that you can hike down the side of the cliff (with tour guide) to visit how American Indians of the area lived. We could have stayed there a week and not get to see everything. Wouldn't think twice about going back.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well...youz guyz pretty much covered the campgrounds...I'll provide some pics:

Molas Pass and Black Canyon Of The Gunnison:

MolasPassSummit-IMGP1429.jpg BlackCanyon-IMGP1754.jpg

Blue Mesa Of The Gunnison:

ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000477.jpg BlueMesaBoat-P1010814.jpg

Mesa Verde:

MesaVerde-P8187307.jpg MesaVerde-P8187269.jpg

Great Sand Dunes National Monument:

SandDunes-IMGP1114.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

RKDAVE

Well...youz guyz pretty much covered the campgrounds...I'll provide some pics:

Molas Pass and Black Canyon Of The Gunnison:

View attachment 57592 View attachment 57594

Blue Mesa Of The Gunnison:

View attachment 57593 View attachment 57590

Mesa Verde:

View attachment 57595 View attachment 57596

Great Sand Dunes National Monument:

View attachment 57597 View attachment 57598

Beautiful Photos...thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention the cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde that you can hike down the side of the cliff (with tour guide) to visit how American Indians of the area lived. We could have stayed there a week and not get to see everything. Wouldn't think twice about going back.

Thank you for your feedback...that’s definitely something we would want to do!

- - - Updated - - -

Since you are going to be in the 4 corners region, don't forget to visit 4 corners itself. Ok, the landmark that shows where the 4 states meet is actually a bit off but it is still a great place to go.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the awesome travel tips and campground information! This will be a huge help for us as we plan our trip!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We used to stay at the Blue Spruce RV Park near Vallecito Lake and near Durango. Ouray and Silverton are nice drive away, as well as Mesa Verde and all those attractions.

Good luck with your choice.

RKDAVE

We used to stay at the Blue Spruce RV Park near Vallecito Lake and near Durango. Ouray and Silverton are nice drive away, as well as Mesa Verde and all those attractions.

Good luck with your choice.

I just checked out the Blue Spruce RV Park on RV Park Reviews. The reviews are outstanding and the location is centrally located in the geographical we want to visit. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I also enjoyed looking at your blog!