New easy lighting upgrade

Sierra66

Hey all, been a while but figured I would stop in and share my latest upgrade.

Since we are swamped with negative equity in the 5’r and cant sell it for an upgrade, I have decided to start on some upgrades that we should’ve had, had we not settled in the first placed.

I recently installed a dimmer for the 6 overhead LEDs in the main room. I got it from Amzn. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072349JZN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was fairly simple to install given you have all pos/neg in and out legs within reach. It has 4 wires in the back for those mentioned. We were tired of the operating room bright lights when just trying to relax in the evenings. Glad to find out the light fixtures that are existing accepted the dimming capability very well. The control over the lighting is a major upgrade. We have 4 of the same lights in the bedroom which I immediately ordered another switch for after the first install. Next will be to replace the two small fixtures over the couch with ones with an on/off button in the middle. See there is an incandescent fixture over the dining table inline with these, all on the same leg. Only difference is the dining table fixture has its own switch. So the comfy soft white light coming off of the dining fixture is overcome by the two bright led fixtures close by. This way I will flip the switch on the wall to power all three and have the ability to turn off the two bright and just have the comfortable light over the table to set the mood in the evenings.

Next will be replacing the 3 incandescent fixtures in the basement storage with LED tape lighting. If anyone has done this please share what worked for you. I always hit the clear covers on these massive fixtures and know them off. Ill be happy to see them gone and clean up the storage area a bit.

Sierra66

Hey Bill, it’s a nice feature to have at nights when you and the better half are relaxing. It really helps to create a nice environment for living. Which is what it’s all about anyway right. One can also easily swap the fixtures for soft white light as well.

As for the tape light, man what an upgrade all around. I had some extra left over from another venture and installed 20” or so under the side entry steps as there was only a single amber bulb there. The storage areas will look and preform 100% better when I get them in. That ever changing technology has made DIY led tapelight install easy as cake and inexpensive.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Jonathan

Sierra66

Just did my bedroom as well. Again, very easy and a great upgrade..given your fixtures accept a dimming input. And mine being as cheap as they are, I’m sure most do accept this.

Buster537

I put a 6 foot LED tape light in the basement and it works great, connected to the switch for the pancake lights. Put 2 1 foot LED tape lights behind the basement wall and tied them to the light in the UDC.:cool:
James