Plumbing under kitchen sink leaks..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dusty Eagle

We have used the trailer all summer a couple months at a seasonal resort and about one thousand miles on the road.

My wife discovered water under the sink on the floor and in the waste basket.

I found the joint screws were very very loose so I hand tightened them so I didn't break anything.

Then we started having another water on the floor problem and I checked the fittings again, then I discovered the big connection attaching the sink to the drain plumbing was very very loose so I tightened it by hand also so it wouldn't break.

We haven't had any problem with the bathroom sink yet and hopefully never.

I don't know anything about plumbing but I would think they should have been sealed originally with a sealer that would prevent leaks.

Thanks in advance

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dusty Eagle, some of our members have found the same thing. The connections for the hot and cold have been found to be loose from the factory. You mentioned the sink drain. Some of these have been installed incorrectly at the factory. There is a large rubber washer that when originally installed was between the basket and the sink (on top). This actually goes on the bottom between the sink and a paper/cardbard washer then the nut. You will also need to use plumbers putty in the sink between the sink and drain. Use enough to cause it to ooze out when you tighten the big nut and wipe off the excess.

fhollan

I'll second what Ray said. I had both incidents occur, the washer being on top, which I had the dealer take care of with other warranty work, and one of the water line connections was loose under the sink, creating a mess during our first trip.

D

Dusty Eagle

Yes, Thanks for your fast and accurate reply to my thread post.

I now am wondering with the problems we have incurred, those that reply with the same problems and the other problems people have are Heartland trailers as good as they get or are they as bad as it seems.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I think Heartlands trailers are as good, if not, better than anything in their price range. Every RV we've owned has had it's share of problems. From pop-ups to Class C motor homes. Almost every tent I've owned has leaked too. I agree. You would think that once a manufacturer learns of a problem in a specific area, they should be able to resolve it. I can't explain why these thing happen but someone nailed it in a post saying if you own an RV you need to be a bit of a handy man. I suppose we could pay more for a trailer that was built at a slower rate and costs more to build, but I'd bet that we could find problems with it as well. Pull a house down some of our nations wonderful roads, things will come loose. We've lived in our Bighorn for just over 2 years and I still make changes and improvements. Not because something is broke but because I like to tinker. OK, I'll hop off the bandwagon.

D

Dusty Eagle

yes, thank you I just needed some words of encouragement or at least honesty. I am not the only one with the same problems.

chrispitude

I had a bunch of issues from the factory with my Rockwood, and more issues that developed over the next year. I think even if you had the most conscientious employees building a trailer in this price, you might not have any issues from the factory but I'm sure some would still develop over time. It's just hard not to build something out of common affordable household materials that doesn't develop issues with the bumps and vibration. Trying to improve the materials or use unique designs would drive the unit out of the price point.

I am betting that Heartland will be somewhat better than my Rockwood in both categories, although I am still expecting incidents in both categories at this price point. This is why it's been said time and time again in these forums, it's the factory support that sets these units apart from the competition. Stuff will happen with every unit; it's how it's dealt with that is the differentiator.

Just my two cents,

- Chris

D

Dusty Eagle

Yes, I agree if only 75%. For instance I think things like the gasket on the kitchen sink drain should be on the right side of the sink. Not on the top between the sink and fastener but underneath the sink, bottom of the sink drain and the fastener. To me that is just bad news..!!! And how much water and damage would the water do if it is not noticed right away.

We like the trailer I just believe it should be competently made..!!

The only reason I am saying any of this is because you sound like you feel you have to protect the builders and our problems are real and important not just little nonsense irritating things that we can fix ourselves, etc.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
One thing I will say about sink drains...after more than 25 years of RVing...they tend to come loose on occasion from the vibration of being towed down the road. Have never considered this a big problem, as it tends to happen in almost all RV's...at least the ones we've owned. Just one of those things that requires occasional inspection to make sure connections are tight.

Imagine what would come loose if you towed your sticks & bricks down the road..

D

Dusty Eagle

Yes, However the FBS21 is brand new this spring and the only way it was used is on
a seasonal site for 2 months, then in Storage.

You may not have read all of the Threads, but the gasket was put on the wrong side of the sink. Instead of on the bottom above the joint connection it was on the top side of the sink under the drain which I am told by others in this forum is wrong but not uncommon and has caused lots of problems for many people.

I see your a senior member so thanks for your interest, certainly you understand that the customer is not always responsible for the problems they have.

Thanks

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yes Dusty...customers are not always responsible for problems in their units. Putting the gasket in wrong is an issue that Heartland needs to correct. As for the other loose fittings...remember the trailer had to be towed from Indiana to the dealer in Washington State...I'm quite sure it incurred lots of vibration on it's trip there. I assume you bought it from a dealer there...the dealer should have checked those connections and for leaks during the PDI...this does not however, absolve Heartland of the responsiblity of producing it correctly to begin with.

I will also say this...if a couple of loose fittings and an improperly installed drain gasket are all you've experienced...count your blessings!!!! We've owned many brands of RV's over the years, and trust me, NO ONE makes a perfect unit...but Heartland is trying very hard to get as close as possible!! I don't think a few minor issues like loose fittings is a cause for concern about the quality of your unit. Relax and enjoy it!!

D

Dusty Eagle

I'm glad your not a dealer that I purchase a trailer from or you to would blame the customer for everything wrong.

No There were many issues that have come up and I have listed just a few in my threads.

I believe these trailer and etc. should be made for the road. I'm glad my Towing Vehicle doesn't fall apart that way.

Thanks for your interest, but I think we are pushing each others buttons..? TRUCE..!!

Pulltab

Hi Dusty, welcome to the forum. People here are trying to assist you and you choose to insult them, where I come from that isn't very polite. We are all customers and Heartland is not perfect but they are working to do their best, perfection takes time. Many things will happen during the life of an rv, there is just no way around it. Leaks will appear all of the sudden, these are not maintenance free units as none of them are. If you expect it to be I suggest a different hobby.

D

Dusty Eagle

I feel bad that your friends the KaKampers saw fit to give me there personal opinion of my trailer problems instead of helping with the concerns of our trailer like everyone else has that have so kindly replyed. You can check it out in the first three pages of this thread.
Thanks anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.