Factory Window Caulk

RossRagan

Still learning the ropes of RV ownership here. Is there a reason that all of the exterior openings (windows, doors) are only caulked across the top of the opening; i.e. no caulk down the sides or across the bottom) Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't add caulk, at least down the sides of the sealed openings? I am thinking about road spray flying up from below when towing in a rain storm and how water can move just about anywhere it has access via capillary action.

rhodies1

Still learning the ropes of RV ownership here. Is there a reason that all of the exterior openings (windows, doors) are only caulked across the top of the opening; i.e. no caulk down the sides or across the bottom) Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't add caulk, at least down the sides of the sealed openings? I am thinking about road spray flying up from below when towing in a rain storm and how water can move just about anywhere it has access via capillary action.

I have caulked down both sides of the windows and down around the bottom corners,I never totally caulk the bottom of the windows.Leave an area open in case any water does penetrate it has a place to escape.

- - - Updated - - -