Torquing a frame rail bracket

NYSUPstater

So a friend of mine and myself installed the brackets and rails to the new ride this past Sat. All went well except for 1 thing (always something like that isn't there?). We could not get the nut torqued to spec above the DEF tank. Directions made no mention of dropping the tank for this.

So, this leaves me w 2 options.

A). Drop the DEF tank.
B). Place a box end 15/16" wrench on the nut and turn the bolt w/ a 1200 Ft/lb impact wrench w/ a couple shots.

What do you all think?:confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I have a nut that I cannot correctly torque due to space limitations I just put a wrench on it and make it good and tight.
I guess I've tightened enough nuts to know about how tight to make one. Might not be the correct torque but it works.
The impact might not be the best idea. :)

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

When I have a nut that I cannot correctly torque due to space limitations I just put a wrench on it and make it good and tight.
I guess I've tightened enough nuts to know about how tight to make one. Might not be the correct torque but it works.
The impact might not be the best idea. :)

Peace
Dave
Dido

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Now that it's daylight/Monday and got some sleep, I called B&W up to get their take seeing they are the ones who manufactured it. Told them there was nothing mentioned in directions about DEF tank and that 1 bolt. Their reply was pretty much the same as what you fells said but w/ a lil different twist. They said that using a high poundage impact wrench on bolt and box end on nut, a couple shots w/ impact and good to go. Will say tho that torquing the other 3 to 150 Ft/lbs while under the truck takes some er a lot of ooomph. Probly due to more so of just not a whole lot of room for leverage.

Thanks for help guys.:):):)