Collapsed Axle Tubes

Has anyone had a problem with collapsed axle tubes, failed springs, or tires rubbing on the shocks due to axle misalignment? My axles, springs, and one tire have been replaced, but the wheel for the previously damaged tire is still extremely close to the shock absorber, and still rubs. Measurements show that the axles are not square to the frame, or each other.

Forrest Fetherolf

Has anyone had a problem with collapsed axle tubes, failed springs, or tires rubbing on the shocks due to axle misalignment? My axles, springs, and one tire have been replaced, but the wheel for the previously damaged tire is still extremely close to the shock absorber, and still rubs. Measurements show that the axles are not square to the frame, or each other.

Boris,

Haven't heard of anyone with collapsed axle tubes, several have had springs fail, loose u-bolts, tires rubbing shocks, and alignment problems. As for the shocks rubbing.........they are useless anyway...........mounting a shock more than 45 deg angle from vertical renders the shock with less than 50% efficiency, in other words, the best thing they do is rub the tires. I used flat washers between the wheels and drums to shim the tires out on the door-side to eliminate the tire rub.
I'd recommend a call to Heartland factory and let them and Lippert (frame maker) correct the suspension before you have more problems.

Forrest

cmart

Bottom line is do what I have done. Take your rig to an independent like superior spring and alignment, get your axles and tires aligned with the frame, then put on some michelin XPS Ribs, forget the lippert warranty and just pay up front. Yes it will cost a few extra bucks, but the satisfaction of knowing your cruising down the blvd in a safe manner and knowing you want have to worry about the china maypops blowing up on you at any time will keep the knuckles the color they are suppose to be.

Uncle Rog

Boris, Lippert has worked on our suspension twice, it is now "great". We just ran 600 miles with nary a buck. Get a hold of HL and find out the local Lippert to you, they will fix your problem.............Collapsed axles sounds like a lot of weight?

Last edited by a moderator: