Goofed Forgot to latch fridge doors

twindadtoo

I goofed yesterday and forgot to latch my residential refrigerator doors shut. Drove about 5 hours before I got back into the camper to find the right door open all the way and the left door open to the island. It is a HiSense refrigerator. It will not get cooled down now. If I shut it off and leave it sit for say 12-24 hours will it "reset" and start cooling again?

Thanks for the help
Jeff

southernlady5464

There was power to it. Lights were on, digital readout was working.
It might need rebooting. To do that in an RV:
Turn off the inverter.
Flip the breaker.

You can can still be plugged into shore power, but turning off the inverter is key.
After 30-45 sec, flip the breaker back on.
Then turn the inverter back on.

That is is the equivalent of turning off the breaker or unplugging the unit. Since you can’t get to the power plug, we had to get inventive.

If you still have issues, it may need a repair person.

twindadtoo

It might need rebooting. To do that in an RV:
Turn off the inverter.
Flip the breaker.

You can can still be plugged into shore power, but turning off the inverter is key.
After 30-45 sec, flip the breaker back on.
Then turn the inverter back on.

That is is the equivalent of turning off the breaker or unplugging the unit. Since you can’t get to the power plug, we had to get inventive.

If you still have issues, it may need a repair person.

Thanks for the reply. I have the inverter shutoff and the battery cutoff shutoff. Plus I shut off power to the entire RV. I'm leaving sit for a few hours. Will turn all back on tonight and check again tomorrow

danemayer

Large residential refrigerators can take 24 hours to cool down. But I would think after a couple of hours you could feel the freezer walls and feel that they're cold.

LBR

I would try it sooner... than later.

If that refrigerator was shut off while it was running, it could have had too much pressure for the compressor to start back up immediately. After a short nap, it could very well start back up. Turn on the power and/or inverter, make sure it has power or inside light comes on, then lend an ear to the door and listen for the compressor running.

Last edited:

twindadtoo

Large residential refrigerators can take 24 hours to cool down. But I would think after a couple of hours you could feel the freezer walls and feel that they're cold.
Just turned the power back on. It was 84 in the before I turned it on. If frozen, should be thawed now