Re-size King to Queen size bed. Anyone done it?

LKG_Ram

Hey, I'm thinking of narrowing the width our our king size bed frame to fit a queen. I would likely only cut from side near the closet to give more space there, plus all our bedding in our S&B is queen size. I understand that I would need a near mattress, but we are looking to upgrade the mattress that came with the camper anyway.

Is there anything that would prevent me from doing this?

What gotchas should I be on the lookout for?

Our rig is a 2015 BC 3596RE.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information on this MOD.

LKG Ram.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'm thinking of narrowing the width our our king size bed frame to fit a queen. I would likely only cut from side near the closet to give more space there, plus all our bedding in our S&B is queen size. I understand that I would need a near mattress, but we are looking to upgrade the mattress that came with the camper anyway.

Is there anything that would prevent me from doing this?

What gotchas should I be on the lookout for?

Our rig is a 2015 BC 3596RE.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information on this MOD.

LKG Ram.

We have a 2018 Bighorn 3270 RS and had the dealer narrow and shorten the king bed to queen bed. The dealer cut 6” off all the way around. Wife really loves her Sleep Number Bed.
If you have storage under the bed and cut just from one side the bed will miss the support frame.
By cutting from both sides we have ample room to walk around the bed. Also at the foot of the bed be sure to round the corners.
Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LKG_Ram

Joecyce12, Thx for the response. I will remember that when I cut mine down.
We have a 2018 Bighorn 3270 RS and had the dealer narrow and shorten the king bed to queen bed. The dealer cut 6” off all the way around. Wife really loves her Sleep Number Bed.
If you have storage under the bed and cut just from one side the bed will miss the support frame.
By cutting from both sides we have ample room to walk around the bed. Also at the foot of the bed be sure to round the corners.
Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I cut both sides of ours down and used a standard queen so that we can have room on each side. It makes it much easier to make the bed and more room to move around.

dbbls59

I did that in ours. I removed the board the mattress sets on and cut it down. Next removed the bed platform from the wall and disassembled one corner at the foot. Be careful and study how it's assembled and you can reassemble it after cutting it down so it doesn't show any saw marks.Next I cut down the 2X2 fastened to the wall at the head, then reattached the bed frame to it. There is enough slack in the electrical wires so you won't need to do any electrical work. Next reattach the resized bed platform and put the new queen mattress on. I cut both sides down but if you want all the extra room on the closet side just cut one side. Placement is determined by how you cut the 2X2 on the wall.

LKG_Ram

dbbls59, thanks for the details. Working on master bedroom in s&b, so once that is done this will bet next project.

LKG_Ram

Well completed the re-sizing of bed, bit had to take it all from one side. Water supply and drain lines for sinks were about 2" from bathroom side of bed. Working on putting it all back together. 20180813_102422.jpeg

Regards,
Tony

tys6977

I have a 2018 Sundance. I disassembled the bed platform and removed it from the rig before cutting roughly 6" from each side. Used a sander, as it made it pretty close and I did not want anyone getting any splinters from the edge. We did have to rewire the junction box, as the center support was laying on top of the wire extending the bedside plug to the closet side of the bed and it was being crushed (Bad Heartland Assembly Technician :p). It was pretty easy to do and made a lot more walking space upon completion.

Ty