Fiberglass all over inside

Greetings all. I am new to RVing. And also a new owner of a 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3875FB.
I bought it from a private seller, original owner, and everything is in mint condition.
However it was stored for a couple months and I’m not sure how much it was actually used.
I just picked it up a couple days ago and moved it to its new location and while cleaning and wiping down the interior I noticed fiberglass contamination. Little tiny shiny specks of dust that really shine when you shine a flashlight on them and also sometimes little tiny strands of shiny glass. I been vacuuming all day last couple days and wiping up every nook and I recheck hours later various spots with a flashlight and sure enough there’s more. I check my black shirt (I wear a lot of black) and it’s covered in shiny dust. Has anyone ever had any similar experiences??

danemayer

Hi swells2rob,

Congratulations on the new-to-you Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I don't think I've seen any posts about this over the past 7 years. But we've got a lot of people on the forum, so maybe someone has an idea.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Greetings all. I am new to RVing. And also a new owner of a 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3875FB.
I bought it from a private seller, original owner, and everything is in mint condition.
However it was stored for a couple months and I’m not sure how much it was actually used.
I just picked it up a couple days ago and moved it to its new location and while cleaning and wiping down the interior I noticed fiberglass contamination. Little tiny shiny specks of dust that really shine when you shine a flashlight on them and also sometimes little tiny strands of shiny glass. I been vacuuming all day last couple days and wiping up every nook and I recheck hours later various spots with a flashlight and sure enough there’s more. I check my black shirt (I wear a lot of black) and it’s covered in shiny dust. Has anyone ever had any similar experiences??

Your description sounds like the kind of contamination to be expected if the RV had been in a fiberglass repair place. Possibly with a slide-out removed or a fan running.

Your description sounds like the kind of contamination to be expected if the RV had been in a fiberglass repair place. Possibly with a slide-out removed or a fan running.

Thank you for the reply! I am just finishing up vacuuming up some more now! Been working very hard thoroughly cleaning in hopes that whatever caused this issue will soon disappear as I stay persistent with my cleaning. My vacuum has a HEPA filter as to be sure micron fragments are not escaping back into the unit. Someone please tell me this would be the case and I will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel! I would hope our RV is sealed up nicely and also that there isn’t any kind of vicious cycle. I hate fiberglass lol.

danemayer

We had the counters refinished a few years ago and the vacuum on the sander/polisher wasn't working well. We had fine dust everywhere and it did take a few passes with the trailer vacuum to get it all up.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thank you for the reply! I am just finishing up vacuuming up some more now! Been working very hard thoroughly cleaning in hopes that whatever caused this issue will soon disappear as I stay persistent with my cleaning. My vacuum has a HEPA filter as to be sure micron fragments are not escaping back into the unit. Someone please tell me this would be the case and I will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel! I would hope our RV is sealed up nicely and also that there isn’t any kind of vicious cycle. I hate fiberglass lol.
'

While you have the vacuum out you might consider vacuuming all air vents for air conditioning and heating. You might be amazed how much debris finds its way out of those areas.

'

While you have the vacuum out you might consider vacuuming all air vents for air conditioning and heating. You might be amazed how much debris finds its way out of those areas.

you ain't kidding! i actually halted cleaning, bought a shop vac, and blew out the vents and a lot of debris certainly came out, mostly wood shavings.

sengli

We have had our big horn for 6 years now, and I am still finding construction left overs(screws, wire nuts, stripped insulation, pex pieces) in the rig. My guess is that when the windows and doors were cut out, they glass dust was floating around the coach everywhere.

jbeletti

We have had our big horn for 6 years now, and I am still finding construction left overs(screws, wire nuts, stripped insulation, pex pieces) in the rig. My guess is that when the windows and doors were cut out, they glass dust was floating around the coach everywhere.

I’ve experienced the same. Note however that all the window and door openings are cut out at the lamination plant that builds the walls. Then the walls are loaded upright on trailers and brought to the assembly plants.

At the assembly plants, they do cut some holes in the ceiling panels for lights etc. that’s not fiberglass though.

I too am wondering if the OP’s unit had a fiberglass repair done with a slide room removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve experienced the same. Note however that all the window and door openings are cut out at the lamination plant that builds the walls. Then the walls are loaded upright on trailers and brought to the assembly plants.

At the assembly plants, they do cut some holes in the ceiling panels for lights etc. that’s not fiberglass though.

I too am wondering if the OP’s unit had a fiberglass repair done with a slide room removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original owners deny any repairs and I called Heartland to run the vin and they also don’t have any record of any repairs either. Unless someone isn’t being truthful. What was your experience like? We’re you able to get it cleaned up for good without anymore trace? How did you do it? Thanks!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Original owners deny any repairs and I called Heartland to run the vin and they also don’t have any record of any repairs either. Unless someone isn’t being truthful. What was your experience like? We’re you able to get it cleaned up for good without anymore trace? How did you do it? Thanks!

Does not necessarily have to be repairs on your unit. Could have been door open and fan, furnace, or AC running to draw in air from a facility that had someone doing fiberglass repair while this unit was in for inspection, maintenance, winterizing, etc. at the same time

jbeletti

My experience was with general construction debris like saw dust, screws, wire insulation bits. Mostly in the underbelly for the larger debris.

I have not experienced any fiberglass dust, particles etc.

My experience was with general construction debris like saw dust, screws, wire insulation bits. Mostly in the underbelly for the larger debris.

I have not experienced any fiberglass dust, particles etc.
Likewise. I recently worked with a lot of Agro fiberglass and noticed no significant debris.

vasolivas

Hello, many years later I am having the same issue. Im sure you have done some work since 2018. I am curious if you narrowed down the issue of the fiberglass throughout. I have been running full-time for the last 6 months and just noticed it a week ago. Curious what you were able to find out???