No Power to Extend/Retract Landing Gear

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Went on first camping trip in our new 2900MK this weekend. Had no problems at the campsite (loved our trip) until we got ready to leave. There was no power to the landing gear. I had to use the hand crank to hook up (that is a lot of work!). I checked all the fuses in the circuit breaker box when we got home, couldn't find any bad ones. Before I have to make a 75 mile trip back to the dealer this week, does anyone have any ideas? Any hidden breakers/fuses?

wshamby01

There is an inline fuse between the battery and the landing gear motor. Trace the wires you will find it. It is 30 amp. Mine will blow if I accidentally try to raise the landing gear too far.

boatto5er

That was it!

Thanks a ton:). You saved me a long trip and a headache!:D

By the way, I notice you're in Arkansas. I was born and grew up in Pine Bluff. My Mom still lives in White Hall. We were just there back in April.

SmokeyBare

I experienced that once as well... in my case the connection to the RV's Battery was lose. All the while I was plugged into the electric... it couldn't charge the battery because of the wire end was not secure in the " LUG " connection that fit over the Battery post.

Although it did make me appreciate the electric motor far more... after cranking the legs down to connect to the hitch... and then back up to their stowed position.

Marv

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a problem with my landing gear also while I was in Canada.

To make a long story short, I talked to Dave with Lippert and we got the problem fixed. Dave did a good job for me. If you have a problem with your frame or landing gear you can get advice from Dave.

Something Dave taught me..
If you going to raise or lower the landing gear manually you can unbolt the motor from the transition gear and then use the manual crank a lot easier.

Also if it gets down to a last option to raise or lower the landing gear, you can use a crescent wrench or such by using it to turn the horizontal bar. It would be slow but it will raise or lower the landing gear.

wshamby01

Thanks a ton:). You saved me a long trip and a headache!:D

By the way, I notice you're in Arkansas. I was born and grew up in Pine Bluff. My Mom still lives in White Hall. We were just there back in April.

I live in North Central Arkansas. About 185 miles due noth of Pine Bluff. I have worked in Pine Bluff a lot over the years and I just can't get used to the paper mill smell around there. I like it much better up in the hills.

ptillett

Hey, Boat to ....

We live in virginia and too have an 09 2900MK. Love it.

Our landing gear has blown it's in-line fuse many times. Wierd. We just need to get the wiring checked out.

It's a pain. I keep a hand full of those fuses for back ups.

p.s. We bought our RV from Chesapeake Solutions. Long haul for warranty work. But, I did notice that McGeorge RV off Rt 95, north side of Richmond, is now selling Heartland. They had a whole line of Sundances out front. FYI

boatto5er

We actually bought our Sundance from McGeorge. The sales experience was pleasant, just hope the service is as good.

I believe I can resolve some of my problem by lowering the the hitch one setting. It looks like to me that the installers got it too high and I'm having to crank the trailer up too far too hitch up. If I'm not mistaken, I should be towing with the trailor level, not slightly elevated like it currently is.

ptillett

Thanks for the advice, Forrest.

It would be nice just to push that button vs. stand on your head, changing that fuse (again).

It was doing it right often. Now, it hasn't for some time. I better knock on some wood!

vangoes

I checked my unit today and I do not see an inline fuse in my landing gear circuit unless it is hiden in the corrugated tubing that some of the wire runs through. I checked near the motor and near the switch and did not see anything. Where exactly is it located?

jnbhobe

Vangoes; Start at your battery and follow the wires on the + side. There sould be 2 or 3 wires. One will go to the slides, one to the converter, and one to the landing gear there sould be a fuse holder or circut breaker on that line. hope that helps. JON:):)

charliehorse

blown fuse on landing gear

This is usually caused (blown fuse) by over extending the landing legs until they reah max extension - then fuse blows .

boatto5er

I checked my unit today and I do not see an inline fuse in my landing gear circuit unless it is hiden in the corrugated tubing that some of the wire runs through. I checked near the motor and near the switch and did not see anything. Where exactly is it located?

On my 2900MK the fuse holder is located in the wiring near the battery box. It is a small black box, hard rubber fuse holder, about two inches long, one inch wide, and 1/3 inch thick. The "top" flips off to reveal the 30amp fuse inside.

blown fuse

Just had the same problem. It would have been nice if the owners manual would have told about the inline fuse. great 5th wheel poor manual

RVFun4Us

Tried to use my landing gear yesterday and had no power. I first thought maybe the battery was dead. Tested and OK. So then checked my wiring from battery to gear motor. That is when I saw a wire that had come loose from the wire nut next to the motor. Reconnected and now OK. So it may not always be the fuse. Also check all wire connections. I think mine was not loose when putting my things in the front compartment. Will now tape this connection up and out of the way.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I checked to see where my fuse is located on my Bighorn. I believe I found it over by the switch where the jacks are lowered and raised. I have never (knock on wood) had one blow on me. The fuse that is located near the switch is a 30amp.

I have never had the fuse blow, but I have had the batteries almost completely run down before I got the trailer raised where I can connect up. At the last campground I had to lower the front of the 5er to within about 5 inches of the ground. I am going to check the wiring to my 2 batteries.

Attachments

• DSC_2184M.jpg
    DSC_2184M.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_2185M.jpg
    DSC_2185M.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 46

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cannonball, exactly what is your problem? Front landing gear?
Normally this is an easy fix.
Oh, by the way, this thread is 4 years old.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2