Solar for 2016 22 RBS travel trailer

I posted under another forum before finding the correct spot. I am a single, older woman who RVs and likes to boon dock 6-8 weeks a year. I would like solar, but unsure about hiring it mounted on the roof. I have a 2016 22RBS. When I called the factory they said they could not advise me on a solar roof modification. I have not called an RV company yet to see what they would charge me. I am very rural and the nearest RV shop is 60 miles. There is no ladder on the trailer, so cleaning the panels would be difficult, so I am considering the stand alone type, but dislike the hassle of set up and storage. Can anyone give me some advice all the way from brand of panels, roof or stand alone, etc? Be gentle with me, I am not techy.

jimtoo

Hi jenobandito,

I started a thread for you. I think you will get better info in this forum for solar power.

Hope you get lots of info from our great group of folks.

Jim M

Oregon_Camper

We also boondock a lot..:)

Solar is great. We have ~550 watts on the roof and another 120 watt portable panel. If I were you, I'd start with a portable panel, to see how it works for you. You can always jump in later and add roof panels, but to have that done, you're looking at ~$2,500 (and up) to get a ~300 watts installed (labor, panels, wiring, controller, remote display, inverter, etc)

BTW...portable works out great for boondocking in areas with trees.....hard to move the RV into sunlight...easy to move portable panel.

Here is a video I did on the Go Power 120 watt portable panel. You will see my roof panels in the first part of the video.

https://youtu.be/-gi0JZZVizE