The New Solar Install on Our Bighorn

Alan_B

The solar power system installation on our Bighorn was just completed and we are pretty excited about it!

The system was installed by Greg Young of RV Solar Solutions. Greg spec'd out the system knowing we had a residential refrigerator and that we wanted to be able to run just about anything else (coffee maker, hair dryer, TV, etc.).

There are six 180w panels on the roof for a total of 1,080 watts. These feed six 6v AGM batteries with a total capacity of 900 AH. The power runs through a Victron solar charge controller and a Magnum 2800W inverter.

The install took 3 days. We are pretty happy with the level of craftsmanship throughout the system. I would recommend Greg to anyone.

Here are some photos, showing the panels on the roof, the inverter and solar charge controller, the battery bank and the meters on the control panel.

The only downside has been the weather. Rain, rain, and more rain. Greg used a few convenient weather windows to complete the roof work, but we haven't had much sun to work with yet to really test the system. We have been running off the battery bank for some long stretches and it is handling everything just fine.

Attachments

• Cabinet.jpg
    Cabinet.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 388
  • Utility Bay.jpg
    Utility Bay.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 425
  • Battery Bank.jpg
    Battery Bank.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 414
  • Roof with Panels.jpg
    Roof with Panels.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 440

Go-Fly

That is one big system. I love my system. 8:00 at night here in Oregon, On the computer, watching TV, the wife is printing reports and we charged everything that has a battery today. All on solar. So far this year, we have made and used 521Kw.

jrzygrl64

So glad to hear you are happy with your system! Greg does quality work! He and Bill installed our system 3 1/2 years ago and it still works like a charm! Back in February, Bill officially became an installer for RV Solar Solutions. We will be attending the Pueblo CO rally in a few weeks, will be talking about solar and boondocking!

Looking forward to meeting fellow Heartland Owners there!

Alan_B

any idea of how much weight was added to your hitch weight?

Thats a good question. I went through a CAT scale before the install but have not gone back yet.

Probably 400 pounds, +/-

- - - Updated - - -

So glad to hear you are happy with your system! Greg does quality work! He and Bill installed our system 3 1/2 years ago and it still works like a charm! Back in February, Bill officially became an installer for RV Solar Solutions...

Thanks Kelly. I read about Bill’s job on your travel blog. Cool!

porthole

Retired
I am not sure of the brand of panel, they came from AM Solar.

Did your installer supply the panels or did you order them?
Those are the mounts I have been looking to use. They should allow easy access for cleaning or with some aluminum bar stock, easy tilting.

Last edited:

LBR

This is close to what I wish to have on ours without doing my own energy audit yet....thinking of ~1000 watts on top, ~900 AH battery bank, ~3000 watts inverter, and monitoring for battery bank / solar charging status.....am drooling at your setup as I type...lol

Due to constraints, am wanting to do this in 2 different phases....batteries and inverter first, solar second. I have been pricing the 3 different Lifeline battery sizes that will physically work and am in awe at the cost...wow....oh well, belly up and drop the cash right?!!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
This is close to what I wish to have on ours without doing my own energy audit yet....thinking of ~1000 watts on top, ~900 AH battery bank, ~3000 watts inverter, and monitoring for battery bank / solar charging status.....am drooling at your setup as I type...lol

Due to constraints, am wanting to do this in 2 different phases....batteries and inverter first, solar second. I have been pricing the 3 different Lifeline battery sizes that will physically work and am in awe at the cost...wow....oh well, belly up and drop the cash right?!!

Don't forget about federal tax credits (30%) available on solar installations. The tax credit is supposedly phasing out over the next few years.

Some states may also have tax credits.

The batteries and inverter can qualify as part of the solar installation too. This could make it worth doing the entire project at once or could change the order of installation. Solar first then later inverter and batteries, may be an option to consider as the batteries and inverter added could be considered as improvements on the solar system, Where if you do the batteries and inverter but don't have solar panels then they may not be eligible for the tax credit.

LBR

Don't forget about federal tax credits (30%) available on solar installations. The tax credit is supposedly phasing out over the next few years.

Some states may also have tax credits.

The batteries and inverter can qualify as part of the solar installation too. This could make it worth doing the entire project at once or could change the order of installation. Solar first then later inverter and batteries, may be an option to consider as the batteries and inverter added could be considered as improvements on the solar system, Where if you do the batteries and inverter but don't have solar panels then they may not be eligible for the tax credit.
Thanx for that pecking order ...makes total sense. Batteries are a priority this Fall when we head South for the Winter. Makes me definitely rethink either the order of phases done, or suck it up and do the entire project at once!

My disclaimer is this...I still don't like the price of an ample sized battery bank!!...

LBR

Price out Lithium batteries....then you'll think AGM's are a bargain. LOL :)
I had already checked on them before working up AGM battery bank costs....roughly 1/2 the weight, but 3 times the cost.

Yup ...AGMs are pretty reasonable in that respect!!...

porthole

Retired
No doubt the Lithium Iron's (LiFePO4's) are pricey, but if they live up to the longevity hype you'll have them 10 years at the minimum.

Something else to consider, all the other battery technology you are limited to a max of 50% capacity for DoD - depth of discharge. LiFePO4's can be discharged to 80-90% +

gslabbert5119

LBR, did you cost out 6v or 12v AGM's and what batteries did you end up with?

A model number would be most helpful.

I am installing a solar system which 2 x 300w panels and just cannot afford the cost of lithium batteries, as much as they make sense ...

Gavin Slabbert

LBR

LBR, did you cost out 6v or 12v AGM's and what batteries did you end up with?

A model number would be most helpful.

I am installing a solar system which 2 x 300w panels and just cannot afford the cost of lithium batteries, as much as they make sense ...

Gavin Slabbert

I think I still have my 2 month old research list...will check tonight and post it up for you, Gavin. Ever since my recent post on this thread, I do think about my dream system daily.

I will still probably be in the 960-1040 watt panels and 3K inverter (possiblity the Hybrid)....but the battery bank, I've changed my mind 180°.

At this time, I'm locked onto 4 Battle Born batteries with hopefully enough room to add a fifth and a sixth BB within a year should we deem it necessary....but thinking we can get by with the four. I always try to leave room for upgrading expansion in my plannings, no matter what the project.....well, except for another DW that is....haha.

Oregon_Camper

At this time, I'm locked onto 4 Battle Born batteries with hopefully enough room to add a fifth and a sixth BB within a year should we deem it necessary....but thinking we can get by with the four.

If you haven't done so, you can check out my recent video on the Battle Born batteries. You're going to LOVE them!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.

YouTube - https://youtu.be/08u7VRPeJD4

LBR

If you haven't done so, you can check out my recent video on the Battle Born batteries. You're going to LOVE them!!!

Let me know if you have any questions.

YouTube - https://youtu.be/08u7VRPeJD4
Already did so this morning, Jim....was just another helping arrow thru my wallet!

Wonderful 18 minute vid you did....am going to FORCE the DW to watch it tonight (if that's OK with her)...Lmbo!

Oregon_Camper

Already did so this morning, Jim....was just another helping arrow thru my wallet!

Wonderful 18 minute vid you did....am going to FORCE the DW to watch it tonight (if that's OK with her)...Lmbo!

Ha...glad you liked it. Just let her know, I'm not accepting requests for autographs at this time...sorry. LOL!! :cool: :p ;)