Ladder rack under trailer

Oldelevatorman

Hello friends;
I carry an 8' ladder with us for access to the higher areas of the trailer etc. I carry it on the attached ladder but lately the attached ladder continues to loosen up on the supports. I use a leftover slide out support from an older trailer underneath it if I need to access the roof.
I thought about hanging it underneath the trailer behind the spare tire carrier using all thread and 16 gauge angle for it to sit on and then a ratchet strap to help secure it to the frame. The rack would only extend down 8" which is not as low as the spare tire carrier extends. My wife thinks it's the worst idea ever. I'd welcome any input, thanks Jim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

JMP

I remember seeing a Jayco Pinnacle in Crossville, TN last month who attached his ladder under the front of his 5th wheel trailer. I thought it was a good idea. I carry my ladder in the back of my truck. I'd be interested on how your ladder looks under your trailer (if you go ahead and do it). Thanks for sharing.

Oldelevatorman

I remember seeing a Jayco Pinnacle in Crossville, TN last month who attached his ladder under the front of his 5th wheel trailer. I thought it was a good idea. I carry my ladder in the back of my truck. I'd be interested on how your ladder looks under your trailer (if you go ahead and do it). Thanks for sharing.

We used to live in Crossville, a few years back. Loved it there but all the family is in the Sacramento area so we moved back. Just too far from everyone. Wife suggested the telescoping ladder so may go with that eventually!

SNOKING

Have to be careful under the back that is does not drag on driveways. I would think under the front would be better. Chris

jerryjay11

We used to live in Crossville, a few years back. Loved it there but all the family is in the Sacramento area so we moved back. Just too far from everyone. Wife suggested the telescoping ladder so may go with that eventually!

Correction: It's a 10.5 foot telescoping ladder and I paid $56.99 for it on ebay. Though I've seen the same ladder advertised for $300.00

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lou, I like the beam clamp idea.
Don't get much easier than that for a great looking ladder placement.

Peace
Dave

"Hi-Viz" Bill

Here is what I did for my 14' Little Giant ladder. Scroll down to #8

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/59693-Jerrod-s-(jesstalkn)-Project-LM-365-Index

Looking back at my tread I had a bunch of pictures of the different stages of that box that are no longer on that post :/ not sure where they went ?

Jerrod
-----------------------

I copied Jarrod's box idea, except built my box out of 3/8" treated plywood, water-proofed & painted, for +- $40. The spare tire rack was +- $80, and works beautifully for my 17' Little Giant Ladder

Oldelevatorman

That was exactly what I was going to do but my better half said it was a crappy idea, so I scrapped the plan!
Only difference was I was going to drill into the beam flange for the allthread!

Lou_and_Bette

Tom, they are called “beam clamps” and I have gotten some from Home Depot and on line. I believe the other big box store and some hardware stores carry them. Just be sure that you get the ones that allow the all thread rod to extend through the body of the clamp. Some just allow the threaded rod to screw in so far. The ones that allow the rod to extend past the body of the clamp allow you to add lock nuts to prevent any vibrating out.

nscaler2

Tom, they are called “beam clamps” and I have gotten some from Home Depot and on line. I believe the other big box store and some hardware stores carry them. Just be sure that you get the ones that allow the all thread rod to extend through the body of the clamp. Some just allow the threaded rod to screw in so far. The ones that allow the rod to extend past the body of the clamp allow you to add lock nuts to prevent any vibrating out.

Thank you for the information.