Level Master Level Installation on Pin Box (pics)

jbeletti

This weekend while at the Michigan rally in Frankenmuth, a few of us guys were installing mods (trailer levels, screen door crash bars, screen door opener latches, new-style clothes closet door latches etc.).

I have been carrying around one of those Level Master levels for the pin box for at least 3 years and 2 RVs. Figured it was a good time to get it installed.

Jon (jnphobe) from Pensylvania assisted me. I year ago, I had created some brackets from 1" aluminum angle stock and had drilled and bolted them to the side-mount brackets I bought with the Level Master.

Today I painted the the aluminum brackets to match the pin box and Level Master brackets. Jon helped me drill pilot and primary holes to mount the aluminum brackets. I used stainless self-drilling screws to attach the brackets to the top of the pin box.

And that's really about it. I am not level enough on this site this weekend to set the level and lock it down. Will do that as soon as I can. But I am now much closer to getting this project done - finally!

Jim

Attachments

• level_front.jpg
    level_front.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 327
  • level_side.jpg
    level_side.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 279

HOSS

Jim,

That looks good, I now have one added to my Christmas list.
Our BH 3670rl has the cover over the pin box. What would be the best method for mounting the level onto the pin box with the cover. Any suggestions would be helpful.

HOSS

jbeletti

HOSS,

I have seen several on the ABS pin box covers. Not sure how they attached it though. I'm sure some will weigh in though. Need pictures too guys :)

Thanks,

Jim

truknutt

Committed Member
Earlier this year there was a post where someone had fab'd a mount from aluminum angle (I think) and attached it to the pinbox cover using the existing screw holes.

I have searched the forum every way I know how but can't find the post.

Hopefully they'll chime in with the link.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here it is....Flyfishing48 mounted his on a Sundance

I knew if I wasted another hour, I'd find it!

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey Jim
Don't forget to mount the tape measure to the back of the pin box. You mount it with the tape pointing down. Then go to a nice level place (parking lot) setup your level and take a measure of the height with the tape. It should be just the height that the hitch slides on the pin. Write down the number. It is hitch height number, kind of like your sleep number on a sleep number bed. How the great thing is, it does not matter where or how unlevel the ground is then you go to hitch up. If you set the camper at this number on the tape it will always be the correct height to back into the pin and couple up. You will look like a professional everytime. Also saves getting in and out of the truck!

Dieselengineer
Use your head, not your back

Shadowchek

I have never thought of that before. I usually back the truck up close and use the squinted hairy eye ball trying to line it up. I have actually become pretty good at it but your Idea sounds great. I may even tie a string with a small weight on the end at the proper height so when the weight is just touching the ground I am good to go. Thanks.

Greg

jbeletti

Good tip Jim - thanks for the reminder. I remember seeing that mod on your unit among many other cool ones.

Jim

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Hey the string with the weight would work. I was think about something to know when to stop lowering the front legs without watching the pin. (sometimes it is hard to see when there is a gap) I think a magnet with a string. Snap the magnet on the fender above the rear wheel and raise the camper until the string lifts off the ground.

Jim don't forget about the backup lights on the front legs. Great place to have the light, really can see where the camper wheels are in the night.

Forrest Fetherolf

Here is my "hitch-pin height reminder" I posted a year ago.............

Forrest

Attachments

• HITCHPIN001.JPG
    HITCHPIN001.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 213
  • HITCHPIN002.JPG
    HITCHPIN002.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 203

Delaine and Lindy

I mounted the level on the Trailair pin box and didn't use any type fabrication just use the existing mounting brackets you have to buy to mount the bubble level. I mounted it on the Landmark and the Mobile Suites. Very easy to drill a hole in the Trailair Pin box. GBY....

jbeletti

I found the weld on each side of my pin box to be too heavy (see attachment) so I elected use the aluminum angle pieces in conjunction with the Level Master brand bracket (separate purchase).

Attachments

• level_weld.jpg
    level_weld.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 92

JimandSina

Jim,
Very neat install, it looks great, but since I am the proud owner of the "High Speed, Aerodynamic Stabilization, Anti Flutter, DoubleFrapulating Hitch Pin Cover (HSASAFDFHPC)" :) I guess I'll have to follow the installation methodology presented by FlyFishing48 to be able have this handy little device on my unit.