Screen Door Opener

jbeletti

This weekend while at the Michigan rally in Frankenmuth, a few of us guys were installing mods (trailer levels, screen door crash bars, screen door opener latches, new-style clothes closet door latches etc.) and inspired by Ray LeTourneau's screen door open mod, I took the "purchased" way out.

I asked Rick (TRAVELER07) to pick one of the Camco Screen Door Opener latches from Camping World ($5) on his way here.

When we visited General RV (Birch Run location) during the rally, a few of the other guys also purchased the Opener.

Well, we had install-fest one day and put at least 4 of them on. Pretty simple. Drill a hole, pop in the rubber grommet, slide in the lever, add the rubber cap - done!

Works very well. Ray - thanks for the inspiration and congratulations on "being published". Neat to have a celebrity on the forum. Guess I'll have to give you a raise :)

Jim

Attachments

• opener_1.jpg
    opener_1.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 247
  • opener2.jpg
    opener2.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 247
  • opener3.jpg
    opener3.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 237
  • opener4.jpg
    opener4.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 234

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That's a pretty slick looking do-dad. Does the rubber grommet keep it stationary so that it doesn't wobble or drop below the screen door lever? Well worth $5 and only one hole to drill.

Shadowchek

I was looking at the screen door opener and reading the 3 reviews on the camping world website. The last reviewer said that if he didn't pull it up straight it would miss the handle. Did this guy do a poor install, does it need a mod or is Ray's mod better? Also I just broke one of my arm ripper closet door latches last week. I am still under warranty but would really rather just put the new style on. Where do I get them? thanks.

Greg

Tom of Ypsi

I think Ray's mod is better because it came from a Heartland owner. As you all know Heartland owners are smart, cordial, innovative and just plain nice people.

jbeletti

Ray,

Yes, the grommet holds the shank of the lever in place for the exact reasons you mentioned. :)

Greg,

Pulling up on the handle of the Camco item is the proper way to use it. That said, it is easy to get it out-of-line. For $5, it's handy, yet imperfect. Ray's mod likely works correctly "everytime" and is all but free of cost.

Jim