Water Taste

Beaver00

I have a 2009 Landmark Agusta and since day one, we've had terrible tasting water. At first, I just thought it was because it was new and the foul taste would go away away! No Luck. Six months later and many RV parks, water filters, and several visits to the dealer later, the taste remains. The taste is in ALL water points, etc. ice maker, both sinks and shower. Heartland and dealer say they've NEVER had such a problem or heard of such a problem. Has anyone else experienced this situation and if so, how did you correct? We've tried bleach and water treatment tablets. HELP!!!:mad:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We too had a bad taste. I used Clorox to shock the plumbing system and then a thorough rinse and all is good now.

Good luck,
Mark

Paul & Nan

We have the same problem, DH has put bleach through the system, will see next weekend if it worked. Sure hope so as we have to carry drinking water otherwise. Nan

09 BH 3670

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Many people use a single in line water filter. This will not take the taste out of the water. Most city water systems use a lot of fluoride and chlorine. Some parks are on well water, such as Elkhart Campground. The Elkhart Campground will have a rotten smell usually in the morning. Well water has more minerals in it.
I went to Lowe’s and bought two Whirlpool water filter cases. In one I put a charcoal filter and in the other I put a white filter to get sediment. The water goes through the white filter then thru the charcoal. The charcoal is what removes the Chlorine and most other tastes. It has a finer core than the white filter so put it in the second position.
This may not take out the taste your experiencing but when you shock your system you might use this filter system. For good information you might check out the RV Water Filter Store. http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ . They are fulltime RVer’s and have helped a lot of people. On the left side they give you information about Water Filtration.

You might checkout this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=7015
Hope this helps.

Delaine and Lindy

We had the same problem with our Landmark, installed two filter system and finally had to go thru two filter changes before we got the taste out of the water and Ice maker. So for we haven't had a problem with our MS but it does have a whole house filter system. Which I recomend, I was suprised the Landmark didn't have a whole house filter system. But its a very simple upgrade, I would recomend the upgrade. GBY.....

SmokeyBare

Two filters really should help what comes into the RV for taste quality. Even with Setiment and charcoal filters in place... the water in Yuma, coming from the Colorado river, was really hard to take... there we always used water from the several Filtered Water stations around the area. Here in Georgia... the water taste good... isn't considered hard from the mineral content. Vast difference between those two areas.

I agree that charcoal filters help get rid of the chlorine taste but won't always remove any taste from the wrong type of hose supplying the water to the RV.

I've seen some use a tightly coiled hose... often "GREEN" in color. It's been my experience those do give an nasty taste to the water... guess it's from the type of material they are made from.

I guess I'd first get a cup... let the water run on the hydrant of the RV Park... and taste the stuff... un-filtered... un-hosed... at the best it will be... so to speak. If it's tasting nasty there, such as rotten eggs or some other mineral taste... I would bet it's going to be a difficult job to remove that taste.

There is also a Reverse Osmosis Systems that is very good at removing un-pleasant tastes from water. These do use quite a bit more water... as it flushed out the bad taste... with it's special filtering process.

Good Luck with your research on water filters. Try this link to start the research:

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABFiltration.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Smokey
You need to remove the first part of your URL.. It should be
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/ABFiltration.htm
This is a great place to learn about your water system and accessories that will help.

I agree the hose can cause some taste also. However if you go to the RV Water Filter Store Site you will see they have a good hose to use for water supply. It will stand up to 200psi and will not kink. I heard from a source sometime ago about a 25 ft hose is always 10 ft to short for some places and they suggested making a 36ft hose from the WFS. I also bought 2 - 3ft hoses, because in some places I could not get my regulator to fit or my Y adapter.
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Hoses.htm

And I also use their Water Regulator. Watts Adjustable 263A Regulator, 2" diameter 0-160 gauge, 4-4.5 gpm. The important thing here is the 4-4.5 GPM..
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

slaytop

Have you flushed out your hot water tank by removing the anode and letting it drain completely? Have you turned the valves to run clean water through the hot water tank bypass pipes? Have you rinsed out all the pipes for the washer dryer and outside shower? Until you flush everything out with clean water there is the potential for a bad taste from any of those sources.

Paul & Nan

I think the last few messages have lost sight of the real problem first addressed, which is that the water develops a bad taste and odor after being filtered or coming in good to start. As in it is something in the new water lines. We have filters from the filter store, use good quality water hose, etc., and still had bad water up till now. As I said before, we will see soon if shocking the system helped. Nan

bpmills

I have a in-line water filter for the whole unit, but I still carry bottled water to drink. Who knows where the water comes from, wether it is treated or whatever, I fell safer with bottled water to drink.
Burt

J-W&E

If we don't use our water system or have our water connected for several days we will have a rotten egg smell in the water. I think it is bacteria in the lines and water heater??

To cure the problem we connect the water hose to the coach. Then BEFORE we hook it to the campground hyderant I pour a couple tablespoons of bleach in the hose.......then hook it to the water hyderant and turn on the water. I then go into the house and turn on the faucet as to run warm water. This flushes the small amount of bleach thru the water lines and also some into the water heater. This works GREAT and the smell is gone.

Paul & Nan

We are not sure if our mess is fixed or not as the water pump has gone-we will be out the next two weekends using pots of water. Guess we will not know till spring now. Nan

SmokeyBare

J-W&E.

If your getting that Rotten Egg smell from the hot water... You might want to pull out the Anode Rod... Have a look see if it needs changed.

I've had that very problem one time on a domestic hot water tank in our Stick Built Home.

I would do put bleach in the tank as well... but finally found when I checked the Anode Rod... that was the problem.

Just a thought....

Good Luck,
Marv

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Paul and Nancy,

Last weekend I opened up the basement area, removed the walls to access my water pump. Found a melted fuse holder and blown fuse. I thought by replacing that holder and fuse that my troubles would be over but that didn't do it so therefore I called Gary at Heartland.

I just called Heartland this week (Monday) about getting a replacement water pump for our Augusta. Gary was very friendly and curtious as always and he sent me as new pump. It came the very next day and I will be installing it this weekend. On Sunday we will be pulling out of our campground and taking the coach home for the season, then it is time to winterize. This is why I was in kind of a hurry to fix my water pump otherwise I probably would have left it as warranty work for a dealership to deal with.

Hope that you two get your dealt with soon.

Mark

J-W&E

We are full-time and usually drain our water heater and change the rod about 3 times a year. The only time we have a problem with smelly water is if we don't use the coach for a few days .....like when we go to visit our daughter and stay in her house and the coach just sits. Then when we hook the water up again I always put the small amount of bleach in the hose before hooking to city water.

dennypa53

We own a 2009 Hertland 3914 toyhauler and had the same problem of funky tasting water. We had a Keystone toyhauler prior to the Heartland and had same problem. We tried different city water hoses and some worked ok for a while then same taste. You can invest $$ into inline filters as we did and they worked ok but would cause slower water flow. We invested $20 into a Brita water pitcher and works great. We keep a gal jug of cold water in the fridge at all times filled from the Brita. My wife is a coffee-holic and can tell just the slightest change in taste and is very satisfied.

hoefler

You need to chlorinate or shock the system. Drain the system of all water, lines, water heater, fresh water tank, etc.. Pour about 4 cups of bleach in your fresh water tank, fill it until it over flows. Turn on the pump, fill the water heater, and pump the chlorinated water through all faucets until you get a strong chlorine smell out of every faucet. Top of fresh water tank until it over flows. Let set for a minimum of 24 hours. Drain and flush the system with plenty of fresh water, using the city water connection. Drain and fill the fresh water tank. Flush until all chlorine smell is gone. Also, sanitize your water hose, and the spigot you use for your water supply.