2011 Sundance inverter problem/location

jeff1690

I have a Sundance 5th wheel that recently i had a possible converter problem. The battery is charging but very slow. I did a multi meter test and with the cables off the battery and the camper plugged into 110, i'm getting 5.3 volts to the meter. Plugged in the micro wave, AC and all 110 appliances work fine, but the interior lights are very dim due to the battery being low. So, i'm not getting power to the 12 volt lights when plugged in. Any ideas? I'm thinking the converter is bad?

Also does anyone know the location of the converter? Would it be behind the circuit panel? I have not been able to locate it.

Thanks for any help, Jeff

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, there may be one of a couple of issues relating to your converter.
As far as the location it could be part of your panel or it could be behind it. The first place I would check is behind the basement wall. You will have to remove a panel to do that.
Check your bank of breakers and feel along the sides for a tiny button to reset if it happens to be tripped.
Check to be sure that your converter is plugged in. It is not uncommon for them to become unplugged.
There may also be a couple of fuses on your converter. Check them as well.
Be certain that there is 120 volts at the receptacle that the converter is plugged in to.

Peace
Dave

jeff1690

Dave thank you so much buddy! I will check those prior to trying to replace the converter. The only thing that didn't make sense if the fuse or circuit was blow, is that there was 5.3 volts to the multi meter when it was plugged into 110. Thoughts?

Jeff, there may be one of a couple of issues relating to your converter.
As far as the location it could be part of your panel or it could be behind it. The first place I would check is behind the basement wall. You will have to remove a panel to do that.
Check your bank of breakers and feel along the sides for a tiny button to reset if it happens to be tripped.
Check to be sure that your converter is plugged in. It is not uncommon for them to become unplugged.
There may also be a couple of fuses on your converter. Check them as well.
Be certain that there is 120 volts at the receptacle that the converter is plugged in to.

Peace
Dave

TedS

The low dc voltage you measured indicates your converter has failed. That output voltage without the batteries connected should be upwards of 13+ volts.

jeff1690

Thanks Ted, that was my thought also. Do you know, is the converter behind the panel? Thats the only place i have not checked.

Thanks Jeff

The low dc voltage you measured indicates your converter has failed. That output voltage without the batteries connected should be upwards of 13+ volts.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Before you spring for a new converter, check the things mentioned as well as checking all of the neutral connections.

Peace
Dave

carl.swoyer

Did you check the converter while it was connected to the DC distribution panel? I believe that it should be disconnected, then test the output directly from the converter output.
I have a Sundance 5th wheel that recently i had a possible converter problem. The battery is charging but very slow. I did a multi meter test and with the cables off the battery and the camper plugged into 110, i'm getting 5.3 volts to the meter. Plugged in the micro wave, AC and all 110 appliances work fine, but the interior lights are very dim due to the battery being low. So, i'm not getting power to the 12 volt lights when plugged in. Any ideas? I'm thinking the converter is bad?

Also does anyone know the location of the converter? Would it be behind the circuit panel? I have not been able to locate it.

Thanks for any help, Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk