Issue with Spare Tire Carrier on BigHorn

rocketdoc

We have a 5 year old BigHorn 3010RE with what I presume is a common spare tire carrier located under the rear of the 5th wheel RV. It is labeled as "Tire Carrier" and involves 2 long telescoping tubes that support the spare tire while travelling. To access the tire, you first have to unscrew a black plastic knob that controls a threaded bolt securing the closure of the apparatus. 4 years ago I did this when changing a tie that failed on an Interstate highway. It was not easy but doable.

Just recently, as part of a purchase of a set of 4 new tires, I had the tire dealer replace the spare with one of the removed tires. Unfortunately, the threaded bolt that secures the closure had rusted in place and would not release. After much effort, the tire store mechanic successfully broke the top of the bolt clean off, and so could raise and release the mechanism securing the slide out tubes. If I had been on the road with a flat, this would likely not have been possible, and I would have been stranded with an unsolvable issue.

The problem occurs since the part in question is a cheap steel bolt that receives splash constantly from the rear tire just forward of the Tire Carrier. I have solved my issue by drilling a hole alongside the rusted bolt in question and inserted stainless steel hardware not likely to rust and created a secure closure. It would be nice if manufacturers of equipment like this were willing to spend an additional 65 cents for good hardware! Would hate to see another Heartland owner stranded by this issue. In the interim, I would recommend owners periodically check this bolt for ease of removal, and perhaps apply some waterproof grease to the threads in anticipation of the problem.

This issue is probably NOT unique to BigHorns or even Heartland products, but likely wherever this Tire Carrier is chosen for a spare tire. :(

Piperflyer

One of the first things I did was get rid of the knob & bolt. I drilled my rack where it goes on the frame and added an all weather pad lock to hold the tire rack to the frame.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We were warned of this back when we bought our rig in 2016. We used "anti-seize" lubricant on the bolt, and it has worked well every time we test it. Reapply at least yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_B

I had the same problem. Luckily I worked on it at home in the driveway as I prepared for a trip. After a couple of sessions with liquid wrench the frozen bolt came loose.

Geodude

We had the same problem a couple of years ago. That silly knob had to be cut off and drilled out. I replaced it with a linch pin. Same problem with the hardware holding the spare tire to the rack, so that hardware was replaced with stainless parts and given a healthy does of anti-seize.

The whole design is just really odd.