Heat Reflective Rubber Roof Coating by Dicor

wdk450

Gang:
I came across this stuff while doing a websearch on a related topic. This heat reflective paint has the microspheres that are featured in other IR heat reflective coatings, but the product is made by Dicor, the original manufacturer of the RV rubber roof sheeting used on Heartlands. It is purported to reduce heat gain on the roof by 29%. The lowest cost I saw on the internet for a gallon was about $75, and has a 125 square foot coverage. If I did my math right, I would need 3 gallons for my 38 foot rig.

https://dicorproducts.com/product/coolcoat

On Edit: I have noted that this and all competitive roof coatings I have looked at require 2 coats, thus the needed amount is doubled.

jerryjay11

Before and after using Dicor product. Well worth the cost. Looked like new when done.

IMG_20170509_082438605.jpgIMG_20170509_132346812.jpg

The second coat didn't take as much, but you have to complete it the same day so it's best to have more than not enough or you may have to prep it again.

Gary521

Something similar has been used on school bus roofs for years. I guess it works to a certain degree.

Skywrench

Full Timer
Before and after using Dicor product. Well worth the cost. Looked like new when done.

The second coat didn't take as much, but you have to complete it the same day so it's best to have more than not enough or you may have to prep it again.

So does it actually reduce the temperature inside your trailer as advertised? Certainly makes the roof a brilliant white which should help.

wdk450

View attachment 57972View attachment 57973

Just curious. Dicor seemed to have 2 formulations on their website - 1 without the heat reflective spheres, 1 WITH the heat reflective spheres. My question is: Did you use the labelled heat reflective formulation, and if so does your trailer seem cooler in the heat???

jerryjay11

Just curious. Dicor seemed to have 2 formulations on their website - 1 without the heat reflective spheres, 1 WITH the heat reflective spheres. My question is: Did you use the labelled heat reflective formulation, and if so does your trailer seem cooler in the heat???
I used the heat reflective coating and the difference was noticeable to me. The AC didn't cycle as much or as long. The camper seemed to be more comfortable and the test was a cross country trip to Oregon where we stayed for 5 weeks.