Unicorn Express Tires

RVFun4Us

Picked up our 3055RL two months ago, equipped with 235/80R16, Load Range E Unicorn Express tires. Had one issue with a flat spot on the front door side tire pulling home from dealer. Had dealer check amperage to each tire and they were all within specs. So only thing I can think of is that the brake controller was set to high on power. Have adjusted out since.

After reading the boards, am trying to determine what American made tires would be good replacements. Went to Les Schwab today and asked about Goodyears. They don't carry Goodyears but mentioned tires that supposedly were connected somehow to Goodyear made by TBC Corporation. The same size tire and load range as my Unicorns would run $168 per tire mounted, balanced with new valve stems, total of about $673.00 for four.

Does anyone have any experience with TBC Corporation and the quality of tires they make? Also, when I mentioned that I wanted American made tires, the salesman indicated that I would have to look at the tire to determine. That didn't give me a real good feeling. Had Goodyears on my last 5er with no problems after six years. Want to get same quality in these replacements. Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never heard of TBC Corp. That doesn't mean they're a bad tire but who knows??? I would look for a Goodyear Tire Center or at least someone that will get them for you. We paid $225 each plus mount & balance for the G614's. Made in USA with a recent date code at that. That being said, tire prices have gone up during the summer. All is good now and I'm not near as apprehensive while driving as I was before. Is this dealer close to you?
TEHAMA TIRE SERVICE INC OREGON
2655 AVE G PO BOX 2595
WHITE CITY, OR 97503
(541)826-7950
Fax: (541)826-4402

Last edited:

RVFun4Us

Thanks Ray. The dealer in your post is about 75 miles away. There is a dealer in my town that sells Goodyear. They have Marathons in stock, total cost of about $788. I asked about the G614. They come only in 85s, don't carry the 80s. They also do not have in stock and quoted a price well over $1000. I looked under my 3055 and there is very little clearance between the shocks and tires. So would prefer to get the 80s anyway. Do you or anyone else know much about the Goodyear Marathon tires? They wouldn't break the bank but might still give me a more secure feeling going down the road.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bob, I personally don't know too much about the Marathons. I have heard they have a plant in China but I would think they are made to USA specs. I don't know if there are any made in the USA. You could check with your dealer and look at a tire to verify. It will be stamped where made and be sure to check the date code. I have a friend with a 36 ft. Jayco Designer that has been running Marathons and they are holding up well for him. Hard to believe but his Designer runs LR "D" tires @ 65 psi. Happy Shopping.

vangoes

Ray,
I was browsing around a camper dealers lot a couple weeks ago and noticed that Coachman is also putting on 'D' rated tires on trailers that are as heavy as ours. Said something to the salesman that was bird doggin us and he just shrugged his shoulders.

fishn2dmax

RVFUN4US,

Stay clear of using the TBC tires and Good year marathons made in china. My brother went into Less Schwab to get new trailer tires a month ago and told them he did NOT want anything made in china!!! They told him their power king tires were made by TBC and were American made. We'll he gets his trailer home with his new tires and calls me all proud about how much money he saved over my new 16" Maxxis tires ( previously Unicorns). I ask him to give me the DOT code on the sides of his so-called American made tires. Well.... just as I suspected, the DOT codes indicated the tires were made in CHINA. When I told him, he took his trailer back and demanded they put on Maxxis tires. The manager apologized for the error and admitted that the power king TBC brand tires are no longer being made in the good ole USA effective last year when they outsourced the trailer tires to CHina.

He now has MAXXIS load range E's and is a happy camper again.

If you want to stay with a ST tire, then I highly recommend the MAXXIS tire. I've sure been happy with mine on both my Sundance and boat trailer. If you decide to go the LT tire route then the Michelin LT rib tire is the way to go!

RVFun4Us

Purchased Michelin XPS Ribs today to replace the Unicorns. Cost overall was $911.00 with balancing and steel stems. Also gave me $50.00 each for the Unicorns. Also replaced the spare with a used Michelin. Now all USA made. Feel much better.

We also have the unicorn tires and need to replace them but when I checked on Michelin XPS Ribs in the 235/85/16 size they told me that they are made in France. Are yours made in the USA?

RVFun4Us

Jim and Linda,

Guess I got ahead of myself on the USA made statement. When you go to the tire plant code site, you can determine where your tires are made. My DOT code indicates HJEM. HJ indicates a manufactured location of Ireland. To answer your questions, the Michelins seem to be manufactured in many countries including England, France, Germany, Ireland, USA ... Only the DOT code will show you where. Without having the complete tire plant code list with you when you purchase the tires, guess you cannot tell. The tires don't literally say, "Made in USA" or "Made in Ireland".

But I am still happy because I found very few people on the various RV forums that were dissatisfied with their Michelin XPS RIBS, in fact I found 0. The RV Open Road Forum has a ton of satisified Michelin XPS owners as well as the Heartland forums. I don't think you will be dissatisfied.

Bob
Thanks for your reply. You are right when you say you have not heard of many complaints on Michelin XPS Ribs. I will just feel a little safer when I don't have Chinese tires on the Horn. We go to Arizona for the winter and we already have 8000 miles on them I don't want to travel another 2000 miles on them so time to buy!
I love this forum for all the good advice you can find!

RVFun4Us

Jim,

Also spend the extra $8 or so per tire to have them balanced. From what I have heard, it is well worth the money. The tire dealer said it was unnecessary but I followed the advice of my fellow RVers. Also spent a little extra to have them use steel stems instead of rubber. More durable and long-lasting. You are right, this is a great forum to have your questions answered. I don't know of another one that is more helpful, all Heartland owners want to help each other and it is a good feeling to know help is right at your fingertips. Good luck on your tire purchase. We are hitting the road Monday for another campground hosting assignment, this time at Prineville Reservoir in central Oregon.

Bob