Loud squeak in entry flooring

fishn2dmax

John L,

Overall we love our 2008 Sundance 2900MK. However, we're beginning to develop squeaks in the floor. Of particular annoyance is the loudest squeak right when you enter the coach ( just inside the door entry). I talked to a couple of local dealers and they indicate the only way to fix the squeak is to pull up the lino flooring and put some more screws down in the floor joices and replace the lino flooring. Now that I'm just out of the warranty period, that seems to be an expensive and fairly invasive process to eliminate a very annoying and embarassing floor squeak. Is there any remedy that is less invasive that could come up from under the floor ( basement) to eliminate the squeak? :confused:

JohnL

Sundance Product Manager
Fish2dmax, i will get with my plant manager and see if he might have a easier fix to the problem. John Leonard Sundance Brand Manager

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I'm very interested in the repair idea(s) that may come up as I have several of the same type of floor squeaks.

Our 4012 Cyclone does it in the center of the rig right past the triple axle as you are entering the garage area. I hope there's a solution that we can handle with little repairs too.

Pulltab

good plan forrest, except I think I would use the shim to separate the floor from the joist, inject the glue and pull the shim back out. I would be afraid of installing the shim would eventually drive the squeak to the next section of floor. I'm just thinking out loud and will need to address this in the future myself as we have several squeaks in our floor :)

Forrest Fetherolf

good plan forrest, except I think I would use the shim to separate the floor from the joist, inject the glue and pull the shim back out. I would be afraid of installing the shim would eventually drive the squeak to the next section of floor. I'm just thinking out loud and will need to address this in the future myself as we have several squeaks in our floor :)

Then use a small prybar in place of the wood shim........you could save a buck-something for a package of wood shims.

Forrest

jbeletti

Speaking of wood shims, ever used those composite shims? They score and break off a bit easier.

Anyway - the other day, I was in a restaurant and in noticed my waitress had several of these composite shims in her apron. Never seen this in a restaurant before. Asked her if they were for shimming up the table legs. Yep.

Okay, I got off track. Just had to share an odd experience :)

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
The main cause of a squeak in a floor is from the metal ducting in the floor for the furnace rubbing on the wood decking. Anytime you get metal and wood together it can cause this to occur. there are several different ways to assist, the first being to pull the lino and running screws down. another would be to run a couple of longer screws down through the nearest cabinet cleats to help brace. Another would be to remove the underbelly and install a couple more lags thru the cross members to help stabilize the floor.

These can assist in this, however, it may not completely remove the squeak. You will always have the metal against the wood and the floor in the unit is going to move a little