Need educating on 6 volt batteries

WyoCyclone

Greetings all,
I have a 2017 RW 425 with a residential fridge that is giving me heartburn every time we boondock. So, I have a couple of 12v batteries and a GoPower solar panel and if I'm careful about opening and closing fridge we do ok. I'm considering a couple of 6 volt batteries but have some questions.

1. Will the OEM converter be able to recharge a couple of 6v batteries either from generator or plugged in?

2. I"m pretty sure I know the answer here, but I"m assuming my GoPower solar panel would be rendered pretty much useless with 6v batteries?

3. Anyone running 6v batteries with a residential fridge that can speak to this set up?

The longest we boondock is around 4-5 days and I really don't mind keeping an eye on the fridge. I have a temp gauge in the fridge that I just keep my eye on and always restock the fridge with frozen water bottles from the freezer couple of days and that also helps. So...what so you all??

Lynn1130

1. Yes. Mine does fine with two six volt batteries and has without fail.
2. Since you solar panel will be hooked to the batteries that are configured as a 12 volt output. The answer is yes.
3. The configuration with 6 volt batteries is such that they are hooked together to put out 12 volts. The output cables are putting out 12 volts. The rest of the trailer gets 12 volts when not hooked to shore power. The problem with residential fridges, as I understand it is, they do not have 12 volt input. They need 120 all of the time. Someone with that situation will jump in to help, I am sure.

carl.swoyer

Greetings all,
I have a 2017 RW 425 with a residential fridge that is giving me heartburn every time we boondock. So, I have a couple of 12v batteries and a GoPower solar panel and if I'm careful about opening and closing fridge we do ok. I'm considering a couple of 6 volt batteries but have some questions.

1. Will the OEM converter be able to recharge a couple of 6v batteries either from generator or plugged in?

2. I"m pretty sure I know the answer here, but I"m assuming my GoPower solar panel would be rendered pretty much useless with 6v batteries?

3. Anyone running 6v batteries with a residential fridge that can speak to this set up?

The longest we boondock is around 4-5 days and I really don't mind keeping an eye on the fridge. I have a temp gauge in the fridge that I just keep my eye on and always restock the fridge with frozen water bottles from the freezer couple of days and that also helps. So...what so you all??
I had six volt batteries. I got tired of the acid mess, needs to be topped off with distilled water. I now have four deka group 31 batteries. They outperform the 6 volt batteries by far . Maintenance free , and my Magnum Inverter is set at 90% charge rate. I'm using one 220 Watt solar panel. I have the ability to see the interior Temp.
While dry camping I turn off my inverter so nothing is ghost eating my batteries. When needed I can turn the frig back on to cool it.
I've been doing this for 11 years
Never lost any food.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sowie

I have 4ea 6V batteries. My golf cart mechanic did it for me so I’m not sure exactly the wiring schematic. I think it’s a combination of series and parallel. Works great for me. I’ve done 2 days running fridge without cranking gen. I don’t have solar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBR

I have 4ea 6V batteries. My golf cart mechanic did it for me so I’m not sure exactly the wiring schematic. I think it’s a combination of series and parallel. Works great for me. I’ve done 2 days running fridge without cranking gen. I don’t have solar.

Thats great mileage from your batteries...what is the brand and model of your residential 120V fridge?

Sowie

It’s an LG. I’ll have to get the model number in the morning.

orion7144

I have 4 6V Crown 235ah batteries in series/parallel and can run the fridge up to 3 days if it is already cooled off and nothing else sucking on the batteries.

szewczyk_john

Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. I have 4 6 volt crowns and will never be without them. I have never had any acid mess nor any other type of issue. I use a Magnum inverter/charger (ME2512) and I love the combination that I have in place. I boondock 90% of the time so I have done a lot of research and this electrical set works great for us. Now I do not have a residential fridge.

If anyone is looking into upgrading batteries for boon docking, one of your first expenses should be a TriMetric monitor. This will help you see how you are using your current power supply and how much power each device is using.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Greetings all,

IF your 12v batteries are the smaller group 24 or group 27 you could consider adding a battery or replacing with larger group 29/31 batteries. You should also consider whether you have enough input from your solar panel(s) to fully charge your batteries.

Replacing smaller 12v batteries with similar sized 6v battery may not increase your total power for the expense.
2 12v batteries at 100A each contains roughly the same power as 2 - 6v 200A batteries. there are variations between batteries based on design.

Is your solar panel and generator fully charging our existing batteries?

WyoCyclone

Thanks for all the replies folks.

My solar panel does a pretty good job charging the current set up. I do have 3 12v batteries hooked up, but I have no idea the size and I'm pretty sure they are cheapies. So the idea of going with larger/better 12v batteries is an option.

I'm really not interested in going with 4 - 6v batteries I think I'm too cheap.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Thanks for all the replies folks.

My solar panel does a pretty good job charging the current set up. I do have 3 12v batteries hooked up, but I have no idea the size and I'm pretty sure they are cheapies. So the idea of going with larger/better 12v batteries is an option.

I'm really not interested in going with 4 - 6v batteries I think I'm too cheap.

I have two Walmart (MAXX) batteries, They look and perform identical to the Interstate battery that I also have in same bank. The difference was the interstate battery costs much more than the Walmart batteries. So price does not guarantee performance.

Lynn1130

I have given considerable thought to AGM batteries but with everyone I have talked with who sells/knows batteries I have been told that they do not last any longer in our hot weather and tough treatment than any of the others. Getting a max of 24 months out of two batteries that cost $250 plus each just is not something that interests me. I do like the convenience and maintenance ideas but cost just puts them out of my mind pretty quickly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have given considerable thought to AGM batteries but with everyone I have talked with who sells/knows batteries I have been told that they do not last any longer in our hot weather and tough treatment than any of the others. Getting a max of 24 months out of two batteries that cost $250 plus each just is not something that interests me. I do like the convenience and maintenance ideas but cost just puts them out of my mind pretty quickly.

Lynn, Sams Club carries Duracell AGM batteries, at a much lower price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Well, as I expected I went to storage to pick up the Cyclone for our trip to the cool country and just barely got the trailer to lift to the point of hookup because the batteries were near gone. I got about 30 months out of these and that is exceptional for this country. So, I am now trying two 12V AGM and we will see how these work. I am not too worried about full service hookups but it will be the dead of winter elk hunts dry camping that will be the test. Will see but I do like not having to worry about checking the water every couple of months. I don't have quite as many amps as the 6 volts but we never run a day without the generator charging so it will be a test.

LBR

When I put together our bank of batteries, they will be the AGMs also.... some batteries will have to be in either the pass-thru compartment or under our bed..... off-gassing will not be acceptable in either place.

centerline

Greetings all,

6v deep cycle vs 12v marine batteries.....

the TRUE 6v deep cycle batteries CAN have a longer service life due to the heavy plates inside that they are built with, but the longer life is not a given, because it depends on the usage and charging of them....

the marine batteries are NOT a true deep cycle battery, no matter what the label says, but they are a bit better than a standard starting battery, but are NOT the same as a true deep cycle....

when you take into account the footprint you have for battery placement in your coach, AND your usage, this will determine what batteries you should use...

using rough numbers, when using (2) 100amp, 6vDC (deep cycle) batts, connected in series to make 12volts, you STILL only have 100amps of battery power...

when using (2) 100amp,12vmarine batts, connected in parallel, you will have a bank of 200amps....

now, if you have any consideration for longevity of the batteries, you should use no more than 50% of the available capacity of the bank before recharging.... allowing the batteries to often get below 50% will shorten their lifespan dramatically, so we need to keep them topped up..... the true deep cycle batteries with their heavy plates can withstand deep cycling better than a regular battery can, which is why deep cycle batts are often preferred

BOONDOCKING requires a large bank of AMPS, and the usable footprint for batteries in the trailer is limited, so if you want to go for the longest time between charging, the 12v batts are the best choice..... but if you normally use very little power and just need the batteries to have the best chance to last several years, deep cycle may be the best choice....

but AGAIN, just because you have deep cycle batteries does NOT mean they WILL last several years..... because due to the way the batteries often get discharged too far, the 100 amp deep cycle bank can be damaged long before the 200amp bank of regular 12v batts get damaged, because with 200amps, there are more usable amps before being discharged too far......

personally, I use 12v batts, which provide the most amps, which in normal use, allows for the longest time between charging.....

and you mention solar..... I dont know how many watts your solar array is and it really doesnt matter at this moment, but if you have a solar array that will produce 100amps every 24hours, and 2 6v batteries for a total bank of 100 amps, of which you are only using down to the recommended 50%, you only have 50 usable amps to carry you thru hours that the solar is NOT producing..... but with the 200amp bank, at a limit of 50% of the bank total, you would have 100amps to get thru the hours of no solar power being produced.... and yet still have enough solar to top up the bank completely the next sunny day..... BUT, the downside here is that, as a consumer (as opposed to a salesman) you should consider the solar array will produce an average of 50% of its rated output, and design the system with this number, because the "rated output" is what was seen in the laboratory under perfectly controlled conditions.... and its rare that any of us rv'ers will keep our panels as cool as possible, keep them pointed directly at the sun, keep them wiped clean of any slight accumulation of dust or debris, or any of the other things that will allow for peak output from the panels.....

there are often times that the panel will be making almost full output (and the use of an MPPT controller can allow for an even higher output at times).... and there will be many more times that it will be make far less than its potential, and if one uses the 50% rule when sizing and using the solar array they decide to use, they will never be disappointed in its power production..... where as the opposite is true of those who have bought a 200watt array and find that it doesnt give close to the 15amps of DC power that the output numbers would indicate....

because 12v power in the trailer is being consumed 24hrs per day, power usage and recharging NEEDS to be figured on a 24hour time frame.... that is the cycle of one daylight period and one darkness period, which all the amps used in that time frame has to be replenished within the daylight hours of that time frame..... the actual output of the array needs to be averaged over a month or two, to really find how close the system comes to its rating numbers.... southern states are going to give higher numbers than the northern states, and seasons can be another concern... iI always suggest that when installing a system that it be sized for the area where the rv will spend most of its time.... a generator can help out when the rv moves to a cooler part of the country....

as a boondocker with limited battery space, I would opt for the 12v batts.....
I would suggest these https://www.bigtimebattery.com/stor...uFq_fFt-dZvWTN8I8oSWURNE8NSE-5xUaAt4cEALw_wcB

personally, i sprung for the BIG true deep cycle 12v batteries.... these are unreasonably expensive, but they have amp hours.. https://www.batteriesinaflash.com/u...geB9jH9-gKZHLG-aDVTMBv485GeGN45YaAmn3EALw_wcB

both links show "true deep cycle" 12volt batteries and NOT the lighter weight dual purpose marine batteries.....

Last edited:

rwdennis

i had 4 trojan t 105s in my rw 429 , hocked up 2s 2p , each is 225 amp hr , but with the fact they should only be discharged to 50% are really 112.5 each , for a total of 225 ah , just changed them out for a 300 ah lipo battery , the battle born are around 1000 bucks each , my 300 amp battery was 1065 , same warranty as the battle born of 10 years , also had to change out the charger for one thats lipo friendly , so far so good havnt used it yet ..