BigHorn Propane Regulator

jim&gingerglasgow

New Bighorn Owner
We have had our '09 3055RL out twice and the propane regulator has made a 'whine' sound when gas is flowing through it. Supposedly the regulator was replaced with one from another Big Horn unit at the Dealer after the first trip, but the noise is still there. Has anyone had the same problem? Heartland may have got a bad batch of regulators.
Jim Glasgow

jimtoo

I would suggest you have your propane tanks refilled and purged to make sure you do not have any air in them. It has been discussed before, not only here, but on almost all the forums involving rv's that the regulators might make a noise when the propane tanks are filled for the first time and the air is not purged from the tank properly by the propane dealer. It is not a bad batch of regulators, but normally a bad batch of air in the propane tank.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Watch when you get your propane tanks filled to make sure they know what they are doing. I got mine filled at Flying J one time and the girl that filled it didn't know what she was doing. I had to show her how to purge it and fill it. That is scary. Also I had to have both of my supply hoses and regulators on mine replaced. One of the regulators was replaced twice. Bad batch? I don't know but it sure makes you think.

jim&gingerglasgow

New Bighorn Owner
Thank all of you for the info. Maybe now we will not wake up the whole RV Park in the morning when we turn the water heater on.
Thanks again.
Jim & Ginger Glasgow

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Watch when you get your propane tanks filled to make sure they know what they are doing. I got mine filled at Flying J one time and the girl that filled it didn't know what she was doing. I had to show her how to purge it and fill it.

I thought the purging was only for new tanks. I have never seen anyone do anything but fill my tanks - Flying J, dealer, others - all the same.

jpmorgan37

Chuck is correct. New tanks come with a sticker on the OPD valve handle. This is to be removed and the tank purged. A 30# cylinder requires 6/10 gallon of propane put in and then bled off completely to complete the purge. The propane will force any air from the cylinder and then it can be filled. If they aren't purged correctly, the moisture in the air will cause the regulators to ice up internally and vibrate or whine. If a previously used tank is left disconnected with the valve open (a possible explosion hazard) they need to be purged also to get the air out.

John