No shine on sidewalls with Rejex

Garypowell

This might be my 3rd time "waxing" my 5th wheel with Rejex. Previous times got a lustrous shine you could see yourself in. This time some areas are doing that but others, even after 2 or 3 applications, still look dull and streaky.

I also went out and got some basic automotive wax to try....and again some areas shine up and other don't.

Help me out here.....does the sides of a 6 year old rig's deteriorate over time such that they won't take a shine?

Thanks!

jbeletti

Gary,

Wondering if the surface is beginning to oxidize from weather and sun?

The portions that won't shine up anymore, do they take the worst of the sun in your area?

Is your coach full body paint or colored gel coat?

Lynn1130

Sounds like oxidation as mentioned. You might try stripping a section with a water/Dawn wash and then Rejex again. If you still have the same issues I would suspect that the gel is oxidizing especially if you are stored outdoors.

Garypowell

It is white gel coat with decals.....decals look great by the way.

Stored in Florida during winter our 10 state south east sales territory during the rest of the year.

On on a personal note after 20 plus years traveling our territory this way....moving about 2 times a week.....we’ve had enough.

The rig rig is now up on blocks in Maggie Valley, NC for the rest of its life. Traded the 3500 Silverado in on a Honda CRV and we’ll motel it as we travel the territory.

Its been interesting undoing all the thing to make set up/tear down easy and fast.

OK back to the problem......if this is oxidation should I use rubbing compound to clean the surface up then rewax?

carl.swoyer

It is white gel coat with decals.....decals look great by the way.

Stored in Florida during winter our 10 state south east sales territory during the rest of the year.

On on a personal note after 20 plus years traveling our territory this way....moving about 2 times a week.....we’ve had enough.

The rig rig is now up on blocks in Maggie Valley, NC for the rest of its life. Traded the 3500 Silverado in on a Honda CRV and we’ll motel it as we travel the territory.

Its been interesting undoing all the thing to make set up/tear down easy and fast.

OK back to the problem......if this is oxidation should I use rubbing compound to clean the surface up then rewax?
Yes you can have the gel coat buffed out. Lazy Days in in Tampa uses a an on-site detailing company. There very good at what they do.
Or you can buy some 3-m products and buff it yourself. Lazydays can make a chalky RV shine like new.
I use 3-m finesse they have another product for a more aggressive approach. Any Napa store should have it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

If you restore the finish yourself, it’s going to be a time consuming process. I washed the rig with Dawn-Blue and then used THIS product while using THIS buffer with a polishing pad. Follow up with your choice of wax finish. Advil and shoulder heat pads for a couple of days. Remember, wax-on...wax-off.

Garypowell

Thanks everybody! Roadjunky I have already been using the heating pad. Glad I asked half way through the project.

Unfortunately my buffer is in Florida and not going back for a while.

I paid $10 for the privaledge of washing the rig.....maybe I can get $5 back since I am only doing half now and the rest in July.