Alaska to Eastern Texas

8404fmfvet

Hello everyone,
I am planning on driving from Alaska to Tyler Texas area next year and I was wondering from those that have made a similar trip how long it will take, how the road conditions are typically, how much fuel you burned, good pit stops in Canada or States, and anything else you might feel is important to know. Thanks in advance for your insight!
Oh I guess I should mention I'll be hauling a 2019 TQ371 with a 2010 Dodge 3500 sb.
Joe

MTPockets

That’s a lot to absorb. It’s about 4,000 miles from Fairbanks to Tyler. We did a similar trip in 2011, but from Florida to Texas to Washington to Alaska and back. Ours was seven months, but the time required for your trip depends on your goal and how much time you have. Road conditions in total were good, but for maybe 100 miles in Northern Canada where the frost heaves require constant maintenance and slow going is required; other than that, travel is pretty much smooth. Pit stops? Lots of places to pull over to use your on-board facility. Fuel depends on your MPG.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s a lot to absorb. It’s about 4,000 miles from Fairbanks to Tyler. We did a similar trip in 2011, but from Florida to Texas to Washington to Alaska and back. Ours was seven months, but the time required for your trip depends on your goal and how much time you have. Road conditions in total were good, but for maybe 100 miles in Northern Canada where the frost heaves require constant maintenance and slow going is required; other than that, travel is pretty much smooth. Pit stops? Lots of places to pull over to use your on-board facility. Fuel depends on your MPG.

8404fmfvet

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply. Well Fairbanks is about 5 hours from my house, but I was calculating around 4,000 miles. I was planning on driving through B.C. and driving diagonally from Washington to Texas. This trip is basically a move and I will only have about 9 or ten days to get there before I have to go back to work. I am planning on going about 6 or 7 hundred miles per day. That way I have a little extra time for the just in case. As for my mpg not sure what I'll get i was told with my truck I can expect around 10mpg but I haven't towed a 5w with it yet only a 20ft boat and my mpg with that is around 14mpg. As you might have guessed I'm new to all this so I am planning a ways out so I am ready for everything. if I need to take more time and drive less a day I can, I don't want to over stress a new camper! Thanks again for the reply.

MTPockets

Thanks for the reply. Well Fairbanks is about 5 hours from my house, but I was calculating around 4,000 miles. I was planning on driving through B.C. and driving diagonally from Washington to Texas. This trip is basically a move and I will only have about 9 or ten days to get there before I have to go back to work. I am planning on going about 6 or 7 hundred miles per day. That way I have a little extra time for the just in case. As for my mpg not sure what I'll get i was told with my truck I can expect around 10mpg but I haven't towed a 5w with it yet only a 20ft boat and my mpg with that is around 14mpg. As you might have guessed I'm new to all this so I am planning a ways out so I am ready for everything. if I need to take more time and drive less a day I can, I don't want to over stress a new camper! Thanks again for the reply.
You may be pushing to get 600 miles in Canada, even on good roads. I’ve never tried it, so maybe someone else has.

olcoon

With our 2500 Ram, pulling a 30' Elk Ridge, the Cummins gets anywhere from 9-12 MPG, depending on the terrain, and wind.

GregP

We pulled our Bighorn Through the mountains along the Alaska Hwy and South thru Central BC with our Ram/Cummins diesel. We averaged around 12mpg on the trip. I doubt that you will be driving 600-700 miles per day through Canada. Highways are mostly two lane until you get to the US interstate system, so your speeds will not be in the 70mph range until that point. We figure 300-400 miles per day to be a good days drive, but we are tourists and don't "need" to be anywhere fast. Fuel thru Canada will be expensive, I think BC currently has the highest prices in Canada. We carried extra fuel with us in Jerry cans, but didn't need it as diesel was available...we also try to fuel up while still on the top half of the tank. This may not be a factor for you, but if you are relocating and transporting firearms thru Canada, check on laws regarding bringing them into Canada before you get to Customs.

8404fmfvet

We pulled our Bighorn Through the mountains along the Alaska Hwy and South thru Central BC with our Ram/Cummins diesel. We averaged around 12mpg on the trip. I doubt that you will be driving 600-700 miles per day through Canada. Highways are mostly two lane until you get to the US interstate system, so your speeds will not be in the 70mph range until that point. We figure 300-400 miles per day to be a good days drive, but we are tourists and don't "need" to be anywhere fast. Fuel thru Canada will be expensive, I think BC currently has the highest prices in Canada. We carried extra fuel with us in Jerry cans, but didn't need it as diesel was available...we also try to fuel up while still on the top half of the tank. This may not be a factor for you, but if you are relocating and transporting firearms thru Canada, check on laws regarding bringing them into Canada before you get to Customs.
How much extra fuel did you carry? Or how much will they let you carry across the boarder? I was planning on doing the same thing. Maybe I better shoot for 5 hundred miles a day instead then. I've already checked diesel prices and I would like to avoid paying more then I do now!!!! Lol it's like 3.30 something a gallon here.

GregP

We carried two five gallon jerry cans..."just in case". As stated earlier, we didn't need it, and ended up carrying it as dead weight for the duration of the trip. As far as how much fuel you can bring over the border, I have never had an issue either way (Can to US or vice versa) but I would imagine they would frown on unusually large quantities. Fuel prices will vary depending on location, but you can expect to pay the equivalent to about 3.84 US for a gallon of fuel. That is based on the current price in the larger metro areas around Vancouver, so it will be higher (probably) in the interior. You may actually find the prices somewhat lower in the Yukon Territory as it is not subject to Provincial taxes, or wasn't taxed as high when we were there. Canada is metric, so our fuel prices are per litre. A rough conversion is that one litre is equal to one US quart. Close enough anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to complicate the math further, your US dollar is currently worth about 1.35 Canadian and will therefore have more buying power for you on your Canadian leg of the trip. Most Canadian businesses will accept US currency, but to get the best value on your dollar exchange, I would suggest exchanging US currency for Canadian Funds before leaving AK. Banks on either side of the border will give you a fairer rate of exchange than the average business.

8404fmfvet

We carried two five gallon jerry cans..."just in case". As stated earlier, we didn't need it, and ended up carrying it as dead weight for the duration of the trip. As far as how much fuel you can bring over the border, I have never had an issue either way (Can to US or vice versa) but I would imagine they would frown on unusually large quantities. Fuel prices will vary depending on location, but you can expect to pay the equivalent to about 3.84 US for a gallon of fuel. That is based on the current price in the larger metro areas around Vancouver, so it will be higher (probably) in the interior. You may actually find the prices somewhat lower in the Yukon Territory as it is not subject to Provincial taxes, or wasn't taxed as high when we were there. Canada is metric, so our fuel prices are per litre. A rough conversion is that one litre is equal to one US quart. Close enough anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to complicate the math further, your US dollar is currently worth about 1.35 Canadian and will therefore have more buying power for you on your Canadian leg of the trip. Most Canadian businesses will accept US currency, but to get the best value on your dollar exchange, I would suggest exchanging US currency for Canadian Funds before leaving AK. Banks on either side of the border will give you a fairer rate of exchange than the average business.
Ok thanks for the heads up, didn't think about money conversion of value. I also remember the speed limits are in km also.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We didn’t convert any funds from US to CA. All purchases went on a zero international fee CC and the issuing bank adjusted the amounts per the current exchange rate. No hassles!!
Fuel was readily available although we have an aux tank that allowed us to purchase when & where we chose.
Canadian roads were fine except the section of Alaska Hwy between Destruction Bay YK and the Alaska border. Average speeds there will be less than 40 mph overall. Further south you should average 50 mph. 600 miles per day through Canada is likely 15 hours of windshield time per day. Better you than me. Might do better once you’re on the US interstates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8404fmfvet

We didn’t convert any funds from US to CA. All purchases went on a zero international fee CC and the issuing bank adjusted the amounts per the current exchange rate. No hassles!!
Fuel was readily available although we have an aux tank that allowed us to purchase when & where we chose.
Canadian roads were fine except the section of Alaska Hwy between Destruction Bay YK and the Alaska border. Average speeds there will be less than 40 mph overall. Further south you should average 50 mph. 600 miles per day through Canada is likely 15 hours of windshield time per day. Better you than me. Might do better once you’re on the US interstates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I remember that stretch from the last I drove up here about 12 years ago but I wasn't hauling much and I flew as a matter of fact I made it from San Diego CA to where I live in Alaska in just under 4 days. So I figured Alaska to Texas in 9 days was doable. As for 15 hour days yeah I would like to keep under 10 but we shall see.