Slide panel "facing" coming off interior. Hard to explainin subject line!

lelier

Good morning!

We have had our 2017 Mallard M27 for 2 1/2 years and I am the cultprit of this damage and I know it was totally preventable, so please, let's just not go there.... We were on out 2nd trip and I was responsible for checking everything inside the trailer.

While bringing the slide in for us to make our way home I damaged the inside of paneling edge of the slide. It was caused by the cabinet door under our TV entertainment center catching the edge of the slide and tearing it off the interior edge.

I closed the door FIRMLY (which I thought I had but???), pulled the slide in.... and confessed to Mark I was the first one to damage the trailier! When we got home he tried to place it back with the same type of brads but that didn't work well. It came back off.

We don't have much experience with RV's and Travel Trailers to have learned what products are appropriate and are not for the use in them... so here I am asking for advise. I still can't believe I did something that stupid!!!

We have let it be for a while as things have been crazy but now we need to get it fixed the right way.
Attached the photo to give you an idea as to the materials we are working with.

Thank you for any all assistance! Lisa and Mark Lier

Attachments

• 20180622_113647.jpg
    20180622_113647.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 89

LBR

If I was to give you a tip on how to hold it in position, could you simply glue it on?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Early on, we had some wall facing coming loose at the edge. Fix was to inject some Liquid Nails behind it, brad it to the framing along the edge and use a Quick Clamp to hold it tight until the glue set. Been good for many years since.

Now, instead of brads, I would use narrow crown staples to hold it to give more surface of the fastener to hold it in. A little touch up paint and only you will know they’re there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lelier

Early on, we had some wall facing coming loose at the edge. Fix was to inject some Liquid Nails behind it, brad it to the framing along the edge and use a Quick Clamp to hold it tight until the glue set. Been good for many years since.

Now, instead of brads, I would use narrow crown staples to hold it to give more surface of the fastener to hold it in. A little touch up paint and only you will know they’re there.

Mark is going to give Gorilla glue a try as much as we hate to. I was hesitant to use just anything due to the fact of the trailer always moving. Hopefully, I'm worrying over nothing! Now to keep me on my toes and not mess up like that again!

Thanks for the responses! I'll watch for any others that may be posted, we are always open to other view points.

Lisa and Mark!

Bob.jr

Loctite power grip. In a caulking tube. Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, ECT. Works very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Mark is going to give Gorilla glue a try as much as we hate to. I was hesitant to use just anything due to the fact of the trailer always moving. Hopefully, I'm worrying over nothing! Now to keep me on my toes and not mess up like that again!

Thanks for the responses! I'll watch for any others that may be posted, we are always open to other view points.

Lisa and Mark!

Not sure how familiar you are with Gorilla glues, but one of them requires the surfaces be slightly wet before applying the glue. And it expands and can be messy. I've used it but am not fond of it. Your problem is different than mine since it was the wall board separating from the inside wall of the slide. Using something in a tube made it possible to inject it behind the panel a ways and then secure it to the wood frame at the outside edge of it. I just happened to have a tube of Liquid Nails on hand.

With your damage, applying a glue like Titebond III might be better, but you will still need to mechanically secure it until the glue sets. Since you can't clamp it (like I did), some brads or staples should hold it long enough. Key is how much pressure you set your nail gun for. Too much and the heads will penetrate the piece. Not enough and they'll stick out. Actually, if they do sit a little proud, you could use a nail set to drive them flush.

lelier

Not sure how familiar you are with Gorilla glues, but one of them requires the surfaces be slightly wet before applying the glue. And it expands and can be messy. I've used it but am not fond of it. Your problem is different than mine since it was the wall board separating from the inside wall of the slide. Using something in a tube made it possible to inject it behind the panel a ways and then secure it to the wood frame at the outside edge of it. I just happened to have a tube of Liquid Nails on hand.

With your damage, applying a glue like Titebond III might be better, but you will still need to mechanically secure it until the glue sets. Since you can't clamp it (like I did), some brads or staples should hold it long enough. Key is how much pressure you set your nail gun for. Too much and the heads will penetrate the piece. Not enough and they'll stick out. Actually, if they do sit a little proud, you could use a nail set to drive them flush.

Thank you, that's a great point!

L&M

JohnDar

Thank you, that's a great point!

L&M

Let me recant a bit. What is that trim piece made of, wood or plastic? If it's got a wood backing, then the Titebond is good. If it's plastic, something like Liquid Nails or PL400 might be better. Read the labels on the products to be sure what materials they will adhere.

lelier

Let me recant a bit. What is that trim piece made of, wood or plastic? If it's got a wood backing, then the Titebond is good. If it's plastic, something like Liquid Nails or PL400 might be better. Read the labels on the products to be sure what materials they will adhere.

You are good... it's wood, well, pressed faux stuff.

We are likey to make it a temporary fix right now until we get back from Virginia. Mark shoots competitively for Cowboy Fast Draw and they have magnetic name badges at each one that are pretty cool looking. We are thinking of redesigning that edge to make it so that his badges will adhere to it as he accumulates them. I quilt while he shoots.. and collect things.. like pins... sew, *G* I may make the othr side for mine. *G* Hey, it's our place, right???

Thanks again!

L&M

JohnDar

Be cool to see your “mod” with the pins and badges up. I also collect the stick pins wherever we find them. I have two 18x24 display boards at home that are filled and need to make another.

carl.swoyer

Re: Slide panel "facing" coming off interior. Hard to explainin subject line!

Good morning!

We have had our 2017 Mallard M27 for 2 1/2 years and I am the cultprit of this damage and I know it was totally preventable, so please, let's just not go there.... We were on out 2nd trip and I was responsible for checking everything inside the trailer.

While bringing the slide in for us to make our way home I damaged the inside of paneling edge of the slide. It was caused by the cabinet door under our TV entertainment center catching the edge of the slide and tearing it off the interior edge.

I closed the door FIRMLY (which I thought I had but???), pulled the slide in.... and confessed to Mark I was the first one to damage the trailier! When we got home he tried to place it back with the same type of brads but that didn't work well. It came back off.

We don't have much experience with RV's and Travel Trailers to have learned what products are appropriate and are not for the use in them... so here I am asking for advise. I still can't believe I did something that stupid!!!

We have let it be for a while as things have been crazy but now we need to get it fixed the right way.
Attached the photo to give you an idea as to the materials we are working with.

Thank you for any all assistance! Lisa and Mark Lier
You can attach it with a finish nailer. When you shoot the nails in do so at a slight angle. This will help hold it on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RossRagan

...and stop beating yourself up for the damage. These types of things are going to happen and figuring out how to make small repairs are just part of RV ownership.

JohnDar

...and stop beating yourself up for the damage. These types of things are going to happen and figuring out how to make small repairs are just part of RV ownership.

We won’t talk about me breaking a cabinet door in the bedroom with a slide☹️. But I was able to repair it so you can’t tell it was ever broken. Fortunately, the mirror in it did not break.

lelier

But, I' m so good at it! lol!

We are learning all sorts of things... we upgraded our tow vehicle to a Ram 2500 HD diesel.. Mark is very happy about that I tell ya! So am I as it does handle the load much easier, though man that thing is big! In my little opinion anyways.!

Now we are looking into a generator in the future... 6 months or so?

Thanks again !