I would like to add a second plug for shore power - Any issues?

MountainDon

Hello All,

Where I park my trailer at home leaves no access on the drivers side of the trailer where the connection to shore power is.

I have been thinking of several ways to fix this problem and have come up with the idea of adding a second Plug in location at the back of the trailer

I have a 2017 North Trail 21FBS. What I am thinking is that I could add a junction box in the cabinet where by electrical is and run a wire under the bathroom cabinets to the back of the trailer where I could drill for a new plug and put it in.

I can't see any issues with this idea, can anyone else??

Thanks in advance

Don

danemayer

Don,

You have to keep in mind that whenever you apply power to one receptacle, the other receptacle will be hot. Make sure your receptacles don't create a hazard for children or other people who are curious.

MountainDon

Thanks for the advise Dan,

I hadn't thought of that.

Sounds like I need to add an internal switch(s) to turn off the unused plug. I wonder if I can get a 30 amp selector switch?

orion7144

You could either put a 3 way switch (ON-OFF-ON) or a couple of breakers in a separate box.

Thanks for the advise Dan,

I hadn't thought of that.

Sounds like I need to add an internal switch(s) to turn off the unused plug. I wonder if I can get a 30 amp selector switch?

MountainDon

Thanks Everyone!

Dan the Auto transfer switch is a fantastic solution. I have never used a generator or solar, so this technology did not occur to me. Very elegant, cost effective solution to what I want to accomplish

I love having the forum to ask these questions on! It is so nice to rely on the ability to ask a group of people who are so much more knowledagble in areas that I lack.

Don

danemayer

Don,

When installing the transfer switch, the connection you use most of the time should be wired to the shore power input on the transfer switch. The one for home would be generator. And if you ever get a portable generator, you can use the home connection for the generator cord.

LBR

Would it be possible for you to get the umbilical cord plugged in and ready for a spouse/neighbor to walk/watch the cord as you either back in or pull in to park?

MountainDon

Would it be possible for you to get the umbilical cord plugged in and ready for a spouse/neighbor to walk/watch the cord as you either back in or pull in to park?

It is not, ( or it might be except when its not ) The plug sticks out too far to avoid breaking it off on a fence post

Don

CarterKraft

Not being a elechicken I might use something like this. There is nothing wrong with the ATS for this purpose I would prefer to not add a complicated piece of switch gear if I can avoid it.
ge-electrical-disconnects-tc35321-64_1000.jpg